2006 Australian Grand Prix - Race 3/18

Australia Saturday notes: Bridgestone

Bridgestone shod Ralf Schumacher gave Toyota Racing its best qualifying finish so far this season after setting the sixth fastest time of the final top ten shoot out session this afternoon. His teammate Jarno Trulli also made it into the top ten but did not complete a shoot out lap due to a technical problem. Local hero and fellow Bridgestone runner, Mark Webber, continued to demonstrate the consistency and strength of the WillamsF1 team's pace today and he will line up on the fourth row of the grid tomorrow. The Ferrari pair did not have its best qualifying session. Massa spun off in the second session while Michael Schumacher failed to get a flying lap indicative of his potential. Melbourne's coastal autumnal weather has done its best to disrupt today's Formula One action at the Albert Park circuit and could yet prove to be the deciding factor in tomorrow's race.

Hisao Suganuma, Technical Manager - Bridgestone Motorsport: "We had wet weather conditions this morning which prevented the teams conducting further evaluation of their dry weather tyres but the teams were decisive about their final tyre choices. The track was damp with intermittent rain which made conditions a little tricky but the majority of the Bridgestone runners used our standard wet tyres which performed well. The teams were able to check their car balance in wet weather set-ups so they are prepared for whatever conditions they are presented with in tomorrow's race. We had another interesting qualifying session today and it was good to see the two Toyota drivers doing well. Ralf finished sixth and Jarno advanced to the third session - although did not run due to a car problem. Webber did a good job too, finishing in seventh. The two Ferraris weren't able to show their true qualifying performance today as Felipe went off on his flying lap and Michael was caught out by the rain. They would normally have made it into the final qualifying session but we are expecting them both to be strong in the race. We have a good choice of tyres here this weekend for our teams and they have all been performing well. Ultimately, however, it will perhaps be the weather which determines the outcome of tomorrow's race."

Mike Gascoyne, Technical Director Chassis – Toyota Racing: "We're very happy with the tyres we have this weekend. We knew Melbourne would be challenging from a tyre point of view but the new compound that Bridgestone supplied us with at the last test has proved to be very effective. So we're pleased with our best qualifying performance of the year so far and can really thank Bridgestone for that."

Sam Michael, Technical Director - WilliamsF1: "Qualifying was not quite what we had expected. We really wanted both cars in the top ten but Nico got caught up in some rain. Mark would have probably gained another position if it had not been for catching Montoya in traffic. We are in a good position for the race tomorrow and are confident of our long term pace. The new Bridgestone tyre which has been brought to Melbourne is working very well."

Australia Saturday notes: Michelin

Jenson Button has secured his first pole position of the season – and the third of his Formula One career – after an incident-packed qualifying session ahead of tomorrow's Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne. At the circuit where he made his F1 debut in 2000, the 26-year-old Englishman posted a 1m 25.229s lap to pip Giancarlo Fisichella by 0.406s. Button's success marked Michelin's 102nd F1 pole. Fernando Alonso, Kimi Räikkönen and Juan Pablo Montoya completed a Michelin clean sweep of the top five.

Nick Shorrock, Michelin Formula One director: "That was a hectic session, with all the disruptions, and from our perspective it was also very successful. It was interesting to monitor teams' reactions when rain threatened at the start of Q3 and teams had to choose between standard dry tyres and our latest intermediate, which proved so conclusively competitive during this morning's final free practice. In the end, only Nick Heidfeld tried the inter and it soon became clear that dries were the optimum choice.

"Overall it was a very satisfying result for Michelin, with four of our partners in the top 10. Collectively, our six teams will use three different types of tyre in tomorrow's race and all are working very well here at Albert Park.

"This latest pole position, in the coolest conditions of the season so far, is another tribute to the fantastic teamwork between Michelin and its partner teams during our winter development programme. I'd also like to congratulate Jenson Button on taking the third pole position of his F1 career."

Nick Fry, CEO, Honda Racing F1 Team: "Anthony Davidson did a lot of tyre comparison work yesterday andwe are very pleased with the choice of tyres. Today's result proves Anthony made the correct choice and Jenson Button did an excellent job to get the most from the tyre in qualifying. For us, compound selection was relatively straightforward, the Michelin tyres have performed beautifully and we had no problem with graining. Our thanks go to everybody at Michelin."

Australia: FIA reveals fuel allocations

Following qualifying for the Australian Grand Prix, the FIA has revealed the amount of laps covered by each car that comprises the front five rows of the starting grid.

This, of course, determines the amount of fuel the respective drivers are allowed to add to their fuel tanks before today's race.
Code:
[b]
Driver 		Team 		T 	Laps 	Fuel (Kg)[/b]
Button 		Honda 		M 	14 	41 	
Fisichella 	Renault 	M 	14 	41 	
Alonso 		Renault 	M 	15 	44 	
Raikkonen 	McLaren 	M 	14 	41 	
Montoya 	McLaren 	M 	14 	41 	
R Schumacher 	Toyota 		B 	14 	41 	
Webber 		WilliamsF1 	B 	12 	35 	
Heidfeld 	BMW 		M 	14 	41 	
Villeneuve 	BMW 		M 	5 	15 	
Trulli 		Toyota 		B 	- 	18

McLaren deny talks with Rosberg

McLaren boss Ron Dennis has dismissed reports that his team are poised to make a swoop for Williams driver Nico Rosberg.

Speculation after the Malaysian Grand Prix suggested that McLaren were considering buying Rosberg out of his Williams contract to slot in alongside Fernando Alonso at the team next year.

But speaking at Albert Park on Saturday, Dennis rubbished the rumours - and further denied other suggestions that he was looking at poaching Renault's director of engineering Pat Symonds.

"We have had no dialogue with Nico, nor Keke (Rosberg), nor Frank (Williams), so I have absolutely no idea where this rumour came from," said Dennis. "And I can add Pat Symonds to that. I have had no dialogue with him nor has any other member of McLaren."

Dennis's denials about Symonds come at a time when rival teams have been luring staff away from his outfit. Red Bull Racing in particular have captured the signatures of designer Adrian Newey and aerodynamicist Peter Prodromou, with Red Bull Racing's former chief designer Rob Taylor moving the other way.

Speaking about the movement of staff, Dennis said: "We are totally committed to our current design and engineering group.

"They are doing an excellent job...The vast majority of people in the organisation are on long multi-year contracts and there is an inevitability that they are approached by some of the teams that don't have the depth or calibre of staff that we enjoy.

"But that is just part of having a Formula One Grand Prix team and doing a good job. People are constantly going to be approached, but at the moment we are very stable, very focused and we have a very committed group of engineers and mechanics."

Schumacher says Ferrari just too slow

Michael Schumacher says his Ferrari team were just too slow in qualifying for the Australian Grand Prix, and the German admitted the rain was not to blame for their poor showing.

Schumacher missed the final cut of qualifying after failing to set a good enough time to be in the top ten.

The German's second flying lap was hindered when rain began to fall over the Melbourne circuit.

The seven-time champion, however, said rain was not the main problem and claimed Ferrari were just off the pace this afternoon.

"Obviously, we cannot be satisfied with this qualifying," said Schumacher. "In the second part, I used two sets of new tyres, but I did not get the most out of them. Clearly, the few drops of rain did not help just as I was on my second attempt, but the main problem today is that we were just too slow.

"Now we have to find out what happened and try and do something to be quicker tomorrow. Tomorrow, it will definitely not be nice to start from this far back on the grid, but we will try and make the most of the situation."

The Italian team endured a disappointing day, with Schumacher's teammate Felipe Massa crashing during the second session. The Brazilian lost control of his car during his flying lap and crashed heavily against the tyre barriers.

He qualified in 16th place.

"What happened was a shame, because I was on a good lap at the time I went off," Massa explained. "I had gone into Turn 11 when I lost the rear of the car. I touched the kerb and I could not correct it in time and that was the end for me. Fortunately, the car was undamaged, which is the most important thing.

"It should have been a good lap, but now we have to accept this situation and do a good race, just as we did in Malaysia."

Honda play down Barrichello's problems

Honda Racing boss Nick Fry has said his team are not worried yet about Rubens Barrichello's continued struggles with the team - although admitted that the situation would need to improve soon.

Barrichello failed to make it past the first knockout session in qualifying, despite teammate Jenson Button putting the same car on pole position, and the Brazilian will start the Australian Grand Prix from a lowly 16th at a track that is notoriously difficult to overtake.

Fry said that the team and driver were clearly disappointed with the way the early part of the year had panned out, but he said it was too early for Barrichello's troubles to be a major worry.

"It is clearly a concern, but it is early days," said Fry. "We have got to remember that we are only at the third race of the season, but if midway through the season we are in the same position then that will be a cause for concern.

"At the moment we have got to continue to work with Rubens and hopefully tomorrow he can score points. The car is quick and the driver is quick, but there was a particular set of circumstances and the luck didn't fall his way.

"In the last race in Malaysia, without the stop-go penalty, he would have been seventh after a fairly weak position on the grid and if he has a clean race tomorrow then he has the capability personally and with the car to get points. That is what we try to need to do."

Fry believes that the mixture of traffic and tyre choice were the key factors in Barrichello failing to make it through to the second session of qualifying.

"I think it demonstrates some of the vagaries of this qualifying system and you can get caught out," he explained. "We got caught out on two counts.

"One is that we kept Rubens on a used set of tyres and we thought that was enough, but it clearly wasn't. And he had a bit of traffic as well. If it had been one or other, if we had traffic but new tyres he would probably have been okay, or vice versa.

"But the combination of the two just tipped him over the qualifying line, which is extremely disappointing because he can do it and the car can do it. His luck will change though."

Fry believes that Barrichello is experienced enough to resolve the issues he is having by himself, although the team would be doing everything they could to help him.

"Rubens is not a 20-year-old. He is a 30-year-old and he has been around motorsport a lot. He knows things go in patches. Sometimes you go through a bit of a bad patch and then you go through a period of unrelenting good fortunes.

"Both eventually come to an end - you don't have good luck the whole time and you don't have bad luck the whole time.

"It is a matter of keeping our heads down, keep working at it and clearly he is disappointed. You would have to be inhuman not to be and we would have to be inhuman not to be disappointed for him.

"But he knows that if we continue to work at it, he will be fine. The team has got the capability and the driver has got the capability, and Rubens has not lost that innate driving skill overnight."

STR to 'probably' ditch V10 for 2007

Toro Rosso co-owner Gerhard Berger says his team will 'probably' ditch its controversial V10 engine for next year.

In the Albert Park paddock, the ten-time GP winner said the half Red Bull-owned squad was likely to attack 2007 with a less contentious 2.4 litre V8.

'Most probably next year,' the Austrian answered to the query, 'but we haven't decided yet.'

Berger also confirmed speculation - by nodding his head - that his team's Tonio Liuzzi would test at Paul Ricard for big-brother team Red Bull next week.

Post-qualifying press conference

TV Unilaterals

Q: Jenson, your third pole, tell us about that last 20 minutes?

Jenson Button: Manic. The whole day's been pretty manic with the weather but we were a little bit off the pace when qualifying started. We were really struggling for grip so to finally get this pole position is fantastic and it shows how keeping relaxed - the whole team – and very very focused that we were able to get the pole position. So it's fantastic and it's great for the team. Honda have done a fantastic job over the last few weeks and it's good to repay (them) with a pole position. I know it's not the end result but it's a good start.

Q: You can't do a lot to the car once the qualifying session begins, so how did you work on that problem?

JB: Well, it was working with the diff (differential), the TC (traction control), the tyre pressures, the front wing. There are so many little things that you can change that do help and it was really just playing around with that because we haven't had any practice in the dry, really, over the last couple of days. So it worked and I've got to thank the team for that. They did a great job.

Q: Giancarlo, keeping the momentum going after a great Malaysian Grand Prix. You set the lap time right at the end there, but you looked competitive throughout the one hour session?

Giancarlo Fisichella: Yeah. Unfortunately yesterday I had a problem with the engine and we lost good time to improve the set-up and overnight we made some changes. Yes, the car was better but it would have been good to run a little bit more yesterday. Anyway, at the end of the qualifying session the car balance was quite good. On the second lap we were quicker because there was better grip from the tyres but unfortunately I made a couple of mistakes in the first part of the circuit but apart from that I'm really happy and I'm looking forward to tomorrow. We've got great pace for the race.

Q: Very close race between you and Jenson into the first corner in Malaysia, could be the same story tomorrow?

GF: Yeah, it could be the same story. I'm second, he is the leader at the moment, but I think if we start as usual, we can do a great start and the target is to be first into the first corner. It's not easy but I will do my best. Q: Fernando, you said yesterday how important it was to be on the first two rows of the grid here in Australia, and there you are on the second row?

Fernando Alonso: Yeah, it's OK, maybe a little bit frustrating because I didn't manage to complete the lap. I think a Sauber, Heidfeld, was in front of me. Unfortunately he made a mistake in turn 13 and then I caught him very quickly for the last two corners and I lost half a second, I think, in the last sector. But even with that, I think the car performed very well. I'm really happy with the balance so for the race we should be extremely competitive so let's wait and see.

Q: The guy on your right looks very fast; what are your thoughts on strategy tomorrow in terms of where you are and indeed where Honda may be on fuel load?

FA: I think we should be similar. We will see tomorrow but in the last couple of races we are not much different and without this traffic problem, we should have set quite similar lap times so I guess the strategies will not be too different.

Q: Jenson, turning back to you, you've always said how much you enjoy this new qualifying system in 2006 and this one had it all: rain, traffic, accidents?

JB: Yes, it did. It was a very hectic session and I'm sure that the fans really enjoyed it. It was mad for us. Trying to get a lap time in was very difficult but we did it in the end and as I said, it's a special feeling being on pole here.

Press Conference

Q: Jenson, your feelings after that and looking forward to the race tomorrow?

JB: I'm still shaking with the excitement. It was a manic session: the first one with a red flag and the second one with a red flag, it was really difficult to stay calm. But to get the lap in at the end was a great feeling. The car felt very good, very good actually, on the new tyres. It was a little bit unexpected after the first two runs in qualifying one and qualifying two, but it's good, and I am very happy with it. I still don't know about the race. I haven't really done that much long race pace but I'm sure it will be good.

Q: You had a brief off in Q1 as well.

JB: Yeah. I've been going off a lot this weekend. I went off twice yesterday as well. It's bit unusual but the conditions have just been so tricky out there: it's very very windy, it's very very low grip so to make a mistake is very easy. It's bumpy as well so it's tough.

Q: Your teammate had some sort of a problem, I don't know what it was. Did you have any idea what was happening with him and did you have any similar problem?

JB: I think his problem was just no tyre temperature - I think, but I will have to wait to get back and find out but I think that was the issue.

Q: And you had a bit of a problem with that in the first two parts?

JB: Yeah, I did a little bit but we were making sure that we were keeping the blankets on for a long time because it's really tough to keep the heat in the tyres. I don't know if you've seen but a lot of the cars, on the straight, are weaving around to get tyre temperature. It's because it's different conditions here than what we expected, I think.

Q: You had a problem with your start in Bahrain and you've got two of the fastest cars off the line around you, is that something you're concerned with?

JB: It's better to be in front now than it is to be behind, so we're in the best position we possibly can be. Our start wasn't too bad in Malaysia; it wasn't as good as the Renaults' but it wasn't too bad either. We've just got to hope that we get a relatively good start. We're on the clean side and it's the right line for turn one so it's not so bad. Q: Giancarlo, it's been a fairly difficult weekend so far; have you felt short of time in terms of set-up and adjusting the car?

GF: Honestly, yes. I did just two runs with a problem on the engine yesterday and then I couldn't run any more because there was a big problem, but then they fixed it and overnight we made some changes on the car which was better this morning but it was better to have run a little more yesterday. So apart from that I am pretty happy: second on the grid today and looking forward to tomorrow. I've got a great opportunity to do well again, we've got a good race pace and if we can start as usual, we can already do well in the first corner.

Q: You're fairly confident of that, are you?

GF: Yes, I am.

Q: Generally, your feelings coming into this race after the win in Malaysia?

GF: I already have a good feeling myself, but the start of the season wasn't great because I had a problem... not a problem, we made a mistake. That was a bad start but then I was really confident because the car package and the potential is good and straight away, when I put the car on the ground in Malaysia there was a great feeling and it was a great weekend. Even today, we are there so I am really happy about that.

Q: Fernando, third on the grid, you sounded a little bit frustrated when you were talking to Peter Windsor. Were you?

FA: Well, no, I am happy because in the last race I was seventh, so this is my best qualifying of the year. I won the first race and I was second in Malaysia, so now is my best qualifying. Hopefully, I can fight for the win, but it is true that I lost nearly half a second in the last sector because of traffic and, you know, I can wish (for something) a little bit better, but these things happen to everybody and so it is better to be third than further back.

Q: Jenson said he found qualifying was fairly manic, or crazy. What about you?

FA: Yes, I feel the same, but not only this one! I think that all three races were a little bit crazy especially with the red flags we had. There was just a complete panic in the garage so, you know, maybe outside it is nice and interesting to see, but inside the teams, for sure, it is quite complex.

Questions From The Floor

Q: (James Stanford - Herald Sun) Jenson I was wondering, as you said you did not have too many laps at race pace, is that a concern for you – and do you think the Honda is as quick as the Renaults?

JB: It is very difficult to know, but personally I haven't done a lot of laps over the last few days in the dry, but the thing is that we have the third car, which is great and Anthony is a very good driver and I believe in everything he says. He did his normal running on Friday and went quickest in both sessions and did some reasonably long runs as well. It is not too worrying. I just meant personally I have not done so many laps around here, but that doesn't seem to be a problem.

Q: (Andrea Cremonesi - La Gazzetta dello Sport) Jenson, did you realise that you have made an important event in the history of Honda after 37 years since their only pole position at Monza?

JB: I didn't know that before today but it's a very special feeling and I have already seen a few of the guys from Honda and they seem pretty ecstatic, but I am sure that more important for them is to have a win tomorrow. This is a great feeling to be on pole position, but we know how competitive the Renaults are and we know we have to have a faultless race tomorrow and I know we can do that. In the team, we are very confident and calm and we know exactly what we have to do. So, tomorrow is the important day for us.

Q: (Andrea Cremonesi - La Gazzetta dello Sport) To Jenson again, in Malaysia you said 'we are the second team in the championship, but we have to work a lot' because in the first lap Giancarlo was able to put a very good gap in just one lap… Do you think that you have closed that gap?

JB: Well, I think that over one lap the car seems to be very quick and so it just depends whether we have (done that) in a race situation. We have worked on a few areas in Vallelunga – or the team did – that are an improvement. I think they are the sort of things that improve you in a race, but not qualification so much. So, they should help us, but still we have to wait until tomorrow to see how competitive we are. We know we've not won a race yet and it is our aim to do that, but it is never easy when you have such competition from Renault.

Q: (Andrea Cremonesi - La Gazetta dello Sport) Fernando, we saw that you put your hand out of the steering wheel when Giancarlo was in front of you. Was there a misunderstanding with him at the beginning of the third sector?

FA: No, I was talking with the team on the radio because I had the new tyres at the beginning, just to get the maximum from the new tyres, and I told them, but there was no answer for one lap. So…

Senna wins again.

Thirteen years after his late and great uncle won his last Grand Prix, Bruno Senna found the chequered flag first in Australia.

Triple champion Ayrton Senna, who crashed fatally not long after at Imola, last won a GP in a McLaren in 1993 in Adelaide, Australia's former formula one host.

Now, further north in the city of Melbourne, Bruno Senna - the 22-year-old Brazilian son of Ayrton's sister Viviane - won the F3 support event in front of current F1 drivers and team bosses on Friday.

“I've always wondered what it would be like to win a race,” said Senna, “and now I know - it is indescribable.”

Ron Dennis: "Considering our race strategy we can be quite pleased with the outcome of qualifying. The variable track conditions throughout today made things more of a challenge but the team coped very well adapting to the changing weather. As one can imagine we are looking forward to the race tomorrow. "

Well that sounds like McLaren will be running long again.

Zip said:
After today who do you think wil be on the podium?

My previous prediction stands, 2 Renaults and a McLaren. Would love it if Jenson gave himself a fighting chance by getting to the first corner 1st though.

Back
Top Bottom