2006 Bahrain Grand Prix - Race 1/18

Man of Honour
OP
Bahrain Preview: Honda

The Honda Racing F1 Team makes its racing debut as a Honda works team this weekend as the Kingdom of Bahrain hosts the curtain-raiser to the 2006 FIA Formula One World Championship. The F1 fraternity is set to chart a rather different course around the globe this year as Melbourne, the traditional home of the season-opener, plays host to the Commonwealth Games.

So the focus switches to the Middle East and the challenging Bahrain International Circuit in Sakhir, where the machinations of winter testing will finally play out to reveal the class of the 2006 field. The team's driver line-up of Rubens Barrichello (No. 11) and Jenson Button (No. 12) will be racing together for the first time, supported by third driver Anthony Davidson, who will be looking to emulate his star performances from the 2004 season as he returns to the Friday testing role.

An intensive winter testing programme with the RA106 and the Concept car has seen the Honda Racing F1 Team complete 27,000 kms of testing at the Barcelona, Jerez and Valencia circuits in Spain and, in preparation for the first race, at the Bahrain International Circuit in February, where the team spent four days honing its tyres and set-up to the demands of the arid desert conditions. Since its launch on 25 January, the RA106 has covered over 14,700 kms and demonstrated encouraging performance and good reliability.

Rubens Barrichello: "It's really exciting for me to be racing for the very first time as a Honda Racing F1 Team driver. Since I have joined the team at the start of the year, it has been a very intense period of working hard on the test track and with the engineers. We have covered an incredible amount of laps and have been able to establish good reliability as well as improve the pace of the car. For me, our most important test was in Bahrain last month where we could work on the set-up of the car in the hot weather we will face this weekend and also complete a lot of laps, which really helped my physical conditioning. I feel very much at home with the team now and I can't wait for the first race of the new season, where I believe we will be very competitive."

Jenson Button: "Our pre-season testing programme has been extremely positive. The RA106 was strong and reliable from the start which has enabled us to complete plenty of mileage and given me the confidence to push the development from an early stage. I tried to complete as much testing as possible over the winter, which is reflected by the amount of kilometres I have driven. I have also been training hard and feel mentally and physically stronger than ever before. The Bahrain International Circuit is a great track and I enjoy racing here. There are several overtaking opportunities which always makes things exciting and the fast flowing sections are great. Testing in Bahrain in February was hugely beneficial for us and we are the only Michelin team to have tested the tyres and our car in the hot conditions prior to the race. I think that we have a really competitive package, and although this is the first time we will really see where we are compared to the other teams, I hope to be challenging for wins. I can't wait for the racing to begin this weekend."

Gil de Ferran, Sporting Director: "As the numbers show, we have had a very productive testing programme since the end of the 2005 season. This included a successful four day test in Bahrain itself, where we encountered conditions which we hope will be similar this weekend. We have experienced a high level of reliability with the Concept car and the new RA106, which in turn helped us develop our package further. The RA106 has certainly shown a lot of promise in terms of speed in the hands of our three drivers and it is fair to say that all of us at the Honda Racing F1 Team are really excited and looking forward to the race in Bahrain, where we will find out how we truly measure up against our competition."

Shuhei Nakamoto, Engineering Director, Honda Racing Development: "We are all very excited at the prospect of finally seeing exactly where we stand against the other Formula One teams. It's nearly forty years since we had a full Honda works team in Formula One, and we have good reason to expect a strong start to the season after a promising winter testing programme."

Man of Honour
OP
Bahrain Preview: WilliamsF1

The Gulf state of Bahrain will play host to the opening round of this year's FIA Formula One World Championship while the traditional hosts of the opening race, Melbourne, busy themselves with the Commonwealth Games. The race will be the debut for the team's new recruit, Nico Rosberg, who in preparation has recorded close to 7,000km of testing over 27 car days since his appointment as a team driver last November. In addition, Alex Wurz, the team's recently appointed test and reserve driver, will take up his Friday testing role for the team on the Sakhir circuit. The race is also the debut for a fundamentally new car from a fortified design team as well as representing the team's new partnerships with Cosworth and Bridgestone.

Following the end of the winter testing ban, the WilliamsF1 Team commenced testing, initially with the interim FW27C chassis before the 2006 race car, the FW28, debuted at the end of January. Since November 28, the team has completed 42 days of testing at three circuits across Spain and covered a total of nearly 17,000kms. Mark Webber, Nico Rosberg, Alex Wurz, Narain Karthikeyan and Andy Priaulx all contributed to the team's intensive development preparations with the five drivers jointly recording 126 days of track time.

Reflecting both a response to the widespread regulation changes for 2006 and to progress a clear design philosophy, the FW28 is a clean sheet design with little reference to its antecedent. The primary points of distinction aerodynamically are the zero keel layout of the front suspension geometry and the decambered rear wing tips, while from a drivetrain perspective, the new Cosworth CA V8 is clearly a step change not just in technology but also in an engineering partnership. Closely allied to the engine is a seven speed semi-auto seamless shift gearbox, now fully validated and race fit. Of course all onboard technology is reliant on the critical medium of the tyre, and here again a significant change has been made in the shift to Bridgestone rubber and the regulation alteration to re-sanction tyre stops for the 2006 season.

With the desert as its backdrop, Bahrain presents its own very particular challenge. Drifting sand poses one of the greatest variables over the weekend, with tailing cars sandblasted by those in front. As a consequence, heavy duty air filters are essential, despite compromising absolute aerodynamic efficiency. Grip levels are also affected by sand drifting onto the track, making the surface slippery off-line. All of this conspires to make good, stable set-up an important confidence variable for the driver.

5.412km in length, the Sakhir circuit comprises three long straights, joined by a complex mix of 15 slow and medium speed turns. The large number of resulting braking events, from speeds of up to 315kph down to first gear in some corners, demands strict brake wear management by the drivers and, critically, sufficient cooling capability. With 62% of each lap spent in full throttle, Bahrain is also one of the most testing tracks for engine reliability that the teams will experience all year.

Mark Webber: "Usually the first race of the season is at home in Australia, so the start of this year's Championship has a very different feel about it for me, and it's certainly a much quieter start than I'm used to! After all the pre-season testing and guessing games, I don't think there'll be a driver on the grid who's not looking forward to getting down to what it's all about, and that's pitching yourself against everyone else. Race weekends are absolutely brilliant, we have our practice sessions, qualifying and the race and there can be no excuses at the end of it. You just have to get the maximum result possible for your team and yourself. The first race always has an extra buzz because it delivers the answers to those unresolved questions from pre-season testing. I'm looking forward to seeing where we're at and to see what the first part of the season may bring for Williams. Bahrain can't come quick enough!"

Nico Rosberg: "After so much testing, its going be good to finally race and it will be very interesting to see where we are compared with the others teams. I'm very confident, though, as the recent tests have been going well for me and I feel very much at home in the car. I am looking forward to my first Formula One race, especially because it's on a track that I really enjoy and one that I have had great success at having won the GP2 Championship there last year."

Sam Michael, Technical Director, WilliamsF1: "The first race is one of the most exciting for everyone, mainly because we all want to know how competitive everyone is. This year, in particular, has been even harder to predict due to the change to V8 engines. From our perspective, the FW28 has been competitive in testing and is well prepared for racing.

The Bahrain circuit has long straights and slow speed corners and this drives the importance of a good aerodynamic efficiency (i.e., load to drag ratio) to a higher level, even more so in 2006 with the V8 engine. While Bahrain is still a high downforce circuit, minimising drag is important and we should see around 315kph on the pit straight. Both times we have raced in Bahrain there was plenty of overtaking, so it is clearly a track that presents plenty of opportunities for exciting racing.

Once again, we have a new practice and qualifying system that will significantly alter race strategy. There will be less practice mileage, but much more running in qualifying with a new, unlimited laps knockout system. The first two segments will be run on low fuel and everyone will be balancing how many new sets of tyres they have to use to make it through to the next round, which is bound to be exciting the first time we do it! In fact, if all the cars are on the track at the same time there will be a car about every four seconds.

We have been working hard over the winter on gearbox reliability and also on the new V8 engine with Cosworth. Tyre issues have undergone considerable change, with tyre changes allowed during the race again. This has reduced the importance of wear rates and changed the tyre development direction that we have followed with Bridgestone.

Finally, our drivers are all well prepared. Mark is as fired up as usual and putting a lot of effort in, while Nico has covered the greatest distance out of all our drivers over the winter so he couldn't be better prepared for his first season in Formula One. Alex has contributed an enormous amount to our programme over the winter and we will be relying heavily on him during race weekends to evaluate tyres and set-up change on Fridays."

Simon Corbyn, Head of F1 Race Engineering, Cosworth: "Cosworth has made significant progress with the development of the new CA2006 V8 engine since the initial dyno tests. Ambitious performance and reliability targets have been set throughout the V8 programme and everyone at Cosworth has been working flat out to achieve these goals. We have worked closely with Williams and have established a great relationship with the team during the demanding winter test programme. Bahrain will be the first opportunity to really see how Cosworth and Williams stand relative to the competition with the new generation V8s."

Man of Honour
OP
Bahrain Preview: Toyota

For the millions of die-hard Formula One fans around the world, the last five months have been some kind of purgatory. But the waiting and the withdrawal symptoms will soon be over. This weekend the circus is coming back to town – or rather a tarmac oasis in the middle of the desert. To the relief of everyone who revels in the scream of engines, the smell of oil and the colour of the grid, the Bahrain Grand Prix at Sakhir will open the 2006 F1 season. Panasonic Toyota Racing arrives in the Middle East buoyed up from its winter test programme and looking to start the season in style. Jarno Trulli made the podium at last year's Bahrain Grand Prix while Ralf Schumacher made the podium at the last race of 2005 so both will be hoping for a repeat as Toyota bids for a strong start to its new campaign.

Ralf Schumacher is looking forward to the heat of Bahrain after a cold winter of testing.

Ralf Schumacher: "It's always nice to return to racing after the long winter break. Of course we will have to wait and see how the first couple of races go before we can truly compare our position to the others. But we hope to take some points in the first few races and take it from there. Our whole winter test programme has been targeting reliability and that is what we will need early in the season. We've been working with the TF106 since November so we've had plenty of time to put mileage on all the mechanical parts. The tests have gone well and both the car and the new V8 engine have run reliably so we should be confident heading to Sakhir, which is a great modern facility. Bahrain will be hot but at this time of year it should not be exceptional. Either way, all the teams have so much experience that the heat shouldn't make any difference from a technical point of view. So let's hope it's nice and warm. After a winter in Europe, that would be very welcome..."

Jarno Trulli hopes to continue his happy run of form in the Middle East's only grand prix venue.

Jarno Trulli: "I've only had good results when I've raced in Bahrain, particularly last year when I made the podium in second place. I had never been to the area before the race arrived on the calendar but Bahrain is incredible as an F1 venue. The facilities are state-of-the-art, much like Malaysia and China, and it has treated me well so far! It would be wonderful to achieve something similar again, so that is why everyone at Toyota has worked all winter to be as prepared as possible for this first grand prix of the year. The new season brings new challenges in every area. There are lots of new factors – the V8 engine, our Bridgestone tyres and of course the new qualifying system where cars will be eliminated during the session. That will be a bit more complicated than last year but it still boils down to producing a quick lap just when it matters. I'm confident that the TF106 can deliver strong results, but as ever we will only find out when we get on track with everyone this weekend."

This weekend the desert will reverberate with the sound of the new engine of Formula 1, the V8.

Mike Gascoyne – Technical Director Chassis: "Bahrain is an exciting track with great facilities for the teams and spectators. It is a challenging place to start the year because the circuit is probably the hardest for brakes of the whole season. The circuit is surrounded by sand and it can also get very hot, which can pose problems with the cooling of a new car. So reliability will be key, especially with this year's switch to V8 engines. But the TF106 has been very reliable in testing with no major mechanical issues so we are confident. The engine and chassis departments have worked very closely to ensure our package is as integrated as possible. Luca Marmorini's team has done a great job with the new V8 and we have consistently run the engines up to the mileage necessary to last two races without sacrificing performance or driveability. We have also spent the winter adapting to our switch to Bridgestone tyres, which we are sure will reap dividends. Last year we qualified on the front row here and finished second. We would like to repeat that but at this stage it is really difficult to predict where we will be."

Man of Honour
OP
Bahrain Preview: McLaren

The 2006 FIA Formula One World Championship gets underway this coming weekend at the Bahrain International Circuit. Kimi Raikkonen and Juan Pablo Montoya will be racing the Team McLaren Mercedes MP4-21 in the desert Kingdom, which is opening the season as the Commonwealth Games is currently taking place in the usual host city, Melbourne.

The Bahrain Grand Prix, which is being held for the third time, heralds the start of what promises to be another competitive and exciting year in the sport of Formula One, with 18 races in five continents across the globe, ending in Brazil in eight months.

2006 has seen the introduction of a raft of new technical and sporting regulations. The change from V10 to V8 engines is the most significant, and has dominated the design process of the MP4-21. Fundamentally a new car to incorporate the new Mercedes-Benz FO 108S V8, the basic concept of the MP4-21 is an evolution from 2005. Other technical changes include the raising by 50mm of the forward deflector, and an increase of 50 per cent of the crash test loads to the rear structure. The MP4-21 hit the test track on Monday 23rd January, and has completed over 8700 test km over the course of an intensive programme of 28 days.

Sporting regulations will see the re-introduction of tyre changes during pit stops and a new qualifying format. The single lap system of 2005 has been replaced with a three part knockout. Multiple cars are allowed on track throughout the qualifying hour, which is split into two 15 minutes sessions and a final 20 minute session. After the first 15 minutes, the bottom six cars drop out of the running, assuming the last six places on the grid. This is repeated for the second session, leaving 10 cars to compete in a shootout for the top ten grid positions.

Kimi Raikkonen: "It is great to be back racing in Bahrain this weekend. It has been a busy winter season for us, with hard work taking place in every part of the team. Since my first outing in the MP4-21 at Barcelona on Thursday 26th January I have covered more than 3200 km with the new car. The car has felt good on track and is quick, which can be seen from the improvements in lap times of more than 3 seconds. Of course I want to carry on from our performance last year and be challenging for race wins, however we will only see where we are in Bahrain after qualifying. It is also going to be interesting this weekend to go back to tyre changes in the pit stops, we had to adapt driving styles slightly for last year as we didn't have tyre changes, so it may mean people are more aggressive as it is not so important to look after your tyres. Bahrain is a good track, it always seems to have exciting races and I hope there will be another one this year to start the 2006 season."

Juan Pablo Montoya: "The start of the 2006 season will be even more exciting than the previous years with all the changes of the technical and sporting regulations. It is a bit different for me this year as I now know the team and the car really well from the very start of the season. We have completed some intensive work on the test track. Since starting my test programme with the MP4-21 on 24 January I have been at the wheel for 12 days and covered more than 3500 km. In addition to this I have spent 8 days at the McLaren Technology Centre with the engineers, working on debriefs, seat-fitting and in the simulation department and I feel well prepared for the long season ahead. But as always there is a lot of work still to be done. The Bahrain track hasn't been my most successful venue to date, and starting there will be slightly tougher for me, as I didn’t race there last season. However I qualified well in 2004 and I always enjoy driving on tracks designed by Hermann Tilke. It has a good mix of corners, turn 12 is pretty cool and quite like Eau Rouge, so you are pushing it hard through the corner as it sweeps you right up the hill. The track is quite tough on the brakes though, as there are a number of long straights and slow corners, and little chance for them to cool. However it is not as bad as Canada, but we do need to make sure we manage this through the race."

Martin Whitmarsh: "At the start of every season, Team McLaren Mercedes sets out with the same expectations and aspirations: to win races and the Formula 1 World Championships. The 2006 season will be no different. With regulation changes, ranging from the introduction of V8 engines to a new knockout qualifying format and the reintroduction of tyre stops, dominating the build-up to the 2006 season, Team McLaren Mercedes has been working intensively on maximising the opportunities these changes have provided back at base and with the test team on track. This period has also seen significant work with Michelin to adapt to the return to tyres that perform under short stints rather than for full race distance. Despite initial work beginning on MP4-21 in August 2004 and the car completing around 8700 test km, as always, relative performances cannot be truly judged until the first few races have been run. I expect there will be a number of teams challenging for the titles. Kimi and Juan Pablo alongside the entire Team McLaren Mercedes and our Partners will battle hard and are looking forward to the challenges ahead."

Norbert Haug: "The 2006 Formula One season provides bigger challenges for all teams than the previous one. The fundamentally new engine regulations now specify eight instead of ten cylinders and a displacement of 2.4 instead of three litres. New aerodynamic limits in the rules and the shorter engine set an enormous task for the chassis engineers – many small modifications required big efforts and cost a lot of money. The start with the new MP4-21 at Barcelona on 23rd January was not trouble free and in the beginning we were not where we wanted. However, in the following five and a half weeks or about 40 days until the final test at Valencia on 1 March, our team showed what it’s capable of, be it chassis or engine wise. During 28 test days, Kimi, Juan Pablo and Pedro covered a total of 8692 kilometres which is on average one Grand Prix distance per day and therefore equates to a total of 28 Grand Prix distances in preparation for the first races. The lap time improved continuously throughout the tests and the long runs were OK compared to the fastest. Several times, our new V8 engine stood the strain of two race weekends and up to 50 percent more, on the circuits of Barcelona and Valencia as well as on the dynos at Brixworth and Stuttgart. Prior to the start of the season this coming weekend, I want to thank everybody in the team for their enormous efforts. During the last six weeks they almost worked 24 hours a day, at the test track and in Woking, Brixworth and Stuttgart. I know the best reward for everybody working so hard, and I hope we will go and get it as often as possible in the 2006 season’s 18 races."

Man of Honour
OP
Bahrain engine preview

The Bahraini Grand Prix is a very demanding race for the engines. They spend 70% of the lap at full throttle, which puts the circuit among the top 5 of the year. It will be a tough test for the brand new V8 engines on their racing debut.

In the high temperatures, the engines experience 'acoustic offset'. This means that as the temperature rises, the revs at which the engine develops its maximum power increase by approximately 300 rpm for every 10°C. Previously, this was compensated in part by the use of variable intake trumpets. These are no longer allowed in 2006, which means the teams must forecast more accurately the ambient temperatures in order to fit the most appropriate length of trumpets. Variable trumpets previously allowed the teams to adapt to a wider range of temperatures, but fixed trumpets must be tuned more precisely to the prevailing conditions in order to generate maximum performance.

The primary risk for the engine remains the possible ingestion of sand, which would have be catastrophic for the pistons, piston rings or valves. The team therefore pays particular attention to air filters. Although certain materials may cost performance, they remain the most effective way of protecting the engine.

Temperatures are expected to be extremely high, which means that a successful car will be one which is able to provide sufficient cooling to the engine. Although the V8 is less demanding than the V10 in this area, the lower power also means that the percentage of the lap spent at full throttle has increased. As always, the optimum cooling level will provide the best possible compromise between cooling capacity and the cost of extra cooling in terms of aerodynamic performance.

Man of Honour
OP
So...any complaints about the length of time I took to do it now?

No?

Goooood. :D

Time to start filling this thread up.

Expected today:
Red Bull Racing 'launch'
Scuderiea Toro Rosso 'launch'
Super Aguri 'launch'

Simon/~Flibster

Man of Honour
OP
Steeps said:
i went out and bought a Guardian for 25p... and you go and post all the info on here :p

Bought that as well - hoped that there was nice size team logo's that I could scan in - but there wasn't so I've spent a lot of time creating *or just editing* the team logo's.

Couldn't find a decent size Super Aguri, Toro Rosso, Red Bull, McLaren, Ferrari...

Well - everyone apart from Renault and Toyota.

So had to fire up Paint shop pro and make them from scratch. Which is why some of them are a little ropey. But - ran out of time so left them as is for now.

More info to follow. :D

Simon/~Flibster

Man of Honour
OP
spaz said:
p.s. I think the honda address is wrong, unless they are based in the same place as midland f1 (just so I know where I can stalk the team ;))

That many posts...and only mistake spotted..

That'll do for me. :D

Now corrected anyway - cheers.

Man of Honour
OP
Huge $240 Million Upgrade for Nurburgring

With the future of Hockenheim in serious doubt, Germany's other formula one host has vowed to plough $240m into upgrading its track.

Nurburgring boss Walter Kafitz told the 'Rheinzeitung' newspaper that the revamp - masterminded by renowned F1 architect Hermann Tilke - will be the biggest since 1927.

Among the Nurburgring facelift, to be partly financed by private investors, will be a new main grandstand, a four-star hotel and shops.

Construction approval for the upgrade is already being sought, the German newspaper said.

Man of Honour
OP
Kimi likely 'to stay with McLaren'

Although F1's rumour mill has Kimi Raikkonen moving to Ferrari next year, the Finn says he's actually more likely to stay with McLaren.

Speculation about Raikkkonen's future has reached fever pitch ever since McLaren announced that World Champion Fernando Alonso would be joining them in 2007.

And while most believe the Spaniard's arrival will herald Raikkonen's departure, they could be wrong.

"The truth is that I have not yet signed with anyone," he told the SID news agency.

However, when the time does come to make a decision, Raikkonen revealed that he's more likely to "stay with McLaren, rather than go somewhere else."

Man of Honour
OP
Will Vodaphone Firing Affect Formula One Sponsorships?

Vodafone has fired the man responsible for formula one sponsorships at Ferrari (2006) and McLaren (2007).

According to the Guardian newspaper, marketing director Peter Bamford was ousted in the midst of a power struggle between the company's chief executive and chairman.

A spokesman said Bamford's exit was the 'consequence of a fundamental review of the group's marketing operations', but did not comment on whether it might affect the Vodafone sponsorships, such as the $50m per-year deal with McLaren that kicks off next season.

Bamford joined Vodafone in 1998.

Man of Honour
OP
Ferrari examine the 2006 rules

The 2006 Formula One World Championship gets underway this weekend in Bahrain, with the Sakhir circuit having the honour of hosting the opening round, as the city of Melbourne is busy with the Commonwealth Games. This is the third year that Bahrain has hosted a Grand Prix, so the track itself should hold few surprises for the teams, especially as Scuderia Ferrari conducted a long test session here in February.

However, the Prancing Horse and the ten other teams will all be facing the challenges of changes to the technical and sporting regulations. As usual, these have been introduced by the FIA with the aim of reducing costs, reducing speeds on safety grounds and improving the show for the public.

This year the main changes compared to 2005 are as follows: firstly, on the technical rule front, cars now run 2.4 litre V8 engines (although one team, Scuderia Toro Rosso is taking up the approved option of running a restricted-power version of the previous 3 litre V10.) Engines must still last two entire race weekends so the biggest changes to the sporting regulations concern the way qualifying is run and the fact that tyres can now, once again, be changed during the race.

The Scuderia's Sporting Director, Stefano Domenicali explains the effect of these new rules and how they impact on the team's approach to qualifying and the race.

"With the tyre situation, we will have seven sets of dry tyres of two different specifications that we are allowed to use over a race weekend. There is no longer a requirement to formally nominate one specification of tyre after a certain point in the weekend as was the case up until now. However, we must use the same specification of tyre for all of qualifying and the race."

If the rules of parc ferme remain essentially the same, with work on the cars restricted, for 2006 these rules are different when it comes to fuel and tyres. "The rules concerning fuel are different because they are now linked to the qualifying procedure," says Domenicali, "and tyres, because you can use as many tyres as you want now for the race. Qualifying will be divided into 3 parts: the first part of 15 minutes followed by a 5 minute break, a second part of 15 minutes followed by a 5 minute break and the third and final part of 20 minutes."

The race weekend also runs to a slightly different timetable this year: the Friday programme remains the same, but on Saturday, there are no longer the two 45 minute free practice session, but just one hour from 11 to 12, with qualifying from 2 to 3.

"At two o'clock, the first part of qualifying begins and that signals the start of parc ferme conditions, with the exception of fuel and tyres," explains Domenicali. "In the first 15 minutes all 22 cars will run on track. Then the slowest 6 cars take no further part in the session. The same procedure will apply in the second part. At the end of these two periods, these 12 cars now have their places confirmed on the last 12 places on the grid. In these two parts you can run whatever fuel load you like, normally a light load to set the quickest time possible of course and with the tyres that you want. There is no restriction on the number of sets of tyres or the number of laps you can complete."

"Then before the start of the third part, with the last ten cars, it is compulsory to go back to the restriction in terms of fuel. Because time between the three parts of the session is so tight, you will be allowed to refuel using the normal race refuelling rig. There is now a system in place to give you back the fuel you use in this last part of the session, so that you start the race on Sunday with the same fuel load with which you began the final part of qualifying on Saturday. It is calculated by a formula published by the FIA prior to the start of the event. The FIA will make an estimation of kilos per lap they will give back to you. Assuming a car did 10 laps in the final part of qualifying and the FIA states that a lap of this circuit uses 3 kilos per lap, then you have to put back a total of 30 kilos on Sunday morning in parc ferme."

It is a complicated system, rendered more so by the fact that not all the drivers will be running the same number of laps in this final session, therefore the amount of fuel to be added can be different for various cars. Domenicali believes this new qualifying format will be exciting, as long as it is explained properly to spectators and TV viewers. "Otherwise it will be very difficult to understand what is going on, especially when you consider that those people who were eliminated after the first two parts of qualifying were running on minimum fuel and they may have set times in Q1 and Q2 that are quicker than pole position! But it should be more spectacular as it is a long time since drivers have all been on track at the same time for qualifying and I am sure there will be some interesting and controversial moments."

Domenicali believes these new qualifying rules will also impact on race strategy. "The twelve cars at the back of the grid are free to refuel with any quantity of fuel on Sunday prior to 12.30 for a 2 o'clock race. They can base their fuel calculations on the performance they saw achieved by the ten cars in the top ten grid positions as these drivers were running race fuel loads. This means we can have a very mixed race in the first and second stints of a race."

The other change to strategy, compared to 2005, is down to the new tyre rules. "The effect on strategy of being able to change tyres in the race once again is very relevant," reckons Domenicali. "You can decide to use a very aggressive strategy if you have good tyre performance and in my opinion that will improve the quality of the race. With no tyre changes, you had to manage tyres in a different way. Now we can change whenever we want and, allowing for the number of tyres at your disposal, you can be as aggressive as you want. I'm sure it will improve the show."

Man of Honour
OP
Red Bull looking for Works deal

F1 team owner Red Bull is hoping to team up with a major car manufacturer.

Although at present heading up two private squads with customer engines, the energy drink's billionaire mogul Dietrich Mateschitz admitted that he would like to join the ranks of the sport's mighty car makers.

"We would be a good partner for a manufacturer," the Austrian, who is known to have already spoken with Volkswagen and Audi, told 'Sport Bild'.

"We have some of the best people, like Adrian Newey and Gerhard Berger, we have two teams, and the will to win."

Red Bull already has an imposing budget, but with a carmaker on board it could begin to woo some of the best pilots.

Mateschitz, 61, confessed that Kimi Raikkonen and Michael Schumacher would be ideal.

"Kimi would fit very well with us," he said. "Of course it is pretty unlikely that we will get them. If Michael leaves Ferrari, he will probably retire, and I believe Kimi is going to Ferrari."

Man of Honour
OP
Honda duo eye Bahrain win

Honda emerged from F1's winter period as a winner of the test season.
While perhaps a little off Renault's leading pace, the Brackley based team was the most reliable of the pre-season, and considers itself a potential winner of the Bahrain opener.

"We're here to challenge for a win," English driver Jenson Button said, "and that's our objective for every race this year."

New teammate Rubens Barrichello, of 2000-2005 Ferrari fame, believes that Honda's decision to join his old team and Toro Rosso at the recent Bahrain test was one that boosts the winning prospect.

Contradicting Fernando Alonso's claim that the trio of teams may have wasted their time, the Brazilian said the tyre and setup work on the relevant venue was the 'best possible preparation' for a race.

Barrichello added: "So I think challenging for a win is a real target."

Man of Honour
OP
GPMA, Bernie, plan Bahrain meeting

F1's carmaker group will meet with Bernie Ecclestone in Bahrain this weekend, but a spokesman downplayed reports of an imminent deal.

However, as their threat of a 'breakaway' championship in 2008 subsides, the GPMA representative said 'significant progress' is being made to appease the irritation of BMW, Mercedes, Renault, Toyota and Honda.

"We hope to address several of the outstanding issues (in Bahrain)," 'BBC' quoted the spokesman as saying. "But it's too early to predict any outcome. We don't want to speculate but things are moving in the right direction."

Privateer team owner Sir Frank Williams, who has already signed Bernie's 2008 contract, agreed that the war is moving towards compromise. "I believe that the chances of (a rival series) occurring (is) looking less likely with each day that passes," he told the Guardian.

Man of Honour
OP
F1 carmakers closer to deal with Ecclestone

Formula One carmakers say they have made significant progress in talks with commercial supremo Bernie Ecclestone to end the threat of a rival series from 2008.

A spokesman for the Grand Prix Manufacturers' Association (GPMA) confirmed the manufacturers would meet Ecclestone again before Sunday's season-opening Bahrain Grand Prix, but played down expectations that an agreement could be announced in days.

"We will of course meet with the commercial rights holder this weekend," he said.

"Significant progress has been made and we hope to address several of the outstanding issues.

"But it's too early to predict any outcome. We don't want to speculate but things are moving in the right direction," added the spokesman.

The five GPMA members are world champions Renault, BMW, Honda, Toyota and DaimlerChrysler's Mercedes. The first four all own teams while Mercedes have a 40 percent stake in McLaren.

They are demanding a bigger share of the revenues from the billion dollar business, greater transparency in the running of the sport and equal treatment for all.

The GPMA, led by BMW board member Burkhard Goeschel, have said they will launch their own championship from 2008, when an existing commercial agreement expires, if their demands are not satisfied.

Ecclestone, who represents commercial rights holders CVC after they bought out two of the three banks controlling Formula One, has agreed terms with six teams so far, including former champions Ferrari and Williams.

The 75-year-old Briton was quoted last week as saying that he expected all the issues to be settled before the race in Bahrain.

"What we can agree on the technical side is dependent on how much money they want to save but they will save a huge amount without adversely affecting the technical excellence of F1," he told the Daily Express newspaper.

"We can all see the benefits of cutting costs while continuing to allow some areas of research and development and I think there is a mood of conciliation now," he added.

"They will certainly earn a lot more money on the commercial side, double what they got before."

Any deal may have to wait, however, until the European Commission concludes an antitrust review of CVC's bid for Speed Investments, who own 75 percent of Formula One's SLEC holding company. That decision is expected by March 21.

Man of Honour
OP
Dennis expects McLaren to fight at the top

McLaren boss Ron Dennis expects his team to be fighting at the top when the season kicks off this weekend in Bahrain.

The British squad endured a troubled start to their winter testing, with constant reliability problems hindering their progress.

The Mercedes engine in particular had to be revised heavily before McLaren began to show their strength.

Some teams, like Renault and Honda, have been seen as stronger during winter testing, especially because of questions about the reliability of the McLaren.

But Dennis, whose team won 10 races last season and finished in second place in the standings, believes McLaren are ready to fight at the very top on Sunday.

The Briton, however, refused to speak of confidence.

"Confidence is not in our vocabulary, it is a weakness not a strength," Dennis told reporters in Bahrain.

"We have done a reasonably competent job in testing, and it is clear the car has got progressively more competitive and whatever the outcome of this race we will be stronger in every race through the season, that is our trademark as we were, that we continuously improve.

"What is difficult to determine is the level of competitiveness of the other teams. We spend a great deal of the initial testing on quite high fuel loads. We had some initial reliability issues which were very apparent and there was no point compounding those by pushing hard on the engine so that all reflected in relatively slow lap times in initial testing.

"When we came to grips with the problems then the laptimes dropped. Are we competitive compared to the other teams? I think Sunday will be a demonstration of where we are. We have a realistic understanding.

"We think there has been some showmanship from some of the other teams, and we if we are not there then we won't be too far away."

Dennis, however, believes is hard to predict which teams will be fighting for victory on Sunday, but claims the Michelin runners will have an edge over their Bridgestone rivals.

"I would rather not express a point of view on it," he added. "I think that all teams have varying levels of discipline and there is an understanding of fuel loads and tyre type, so you are able to see patterns and see steepness of degradation, see where consistency is in those areas and if something suddenly spikes out then you tend to ignore it.

"There could be a quirky reason, some of the circuits tend to always start green and get progressively quicker but we think there are three teams very close together, but that precludes the Bridgestone teams.

"We believe that we understand where they are in their tyre competitiveness, we are not quite sure which the pecking order is of the car on the Bridgestones but it appears that Michelin at the moment have an edge."

McLaren's boss has also tipped Juan Pablo Montoya to enjoy a stronger season than in 2005, when the Colombian driver was overshadowed by teammate Kimi Raikkonen.

"Juan Pablo worked very hard through the winter and I hope the rewards from his efforts come," Dennis said. "He is a very, very determined and very committed to raising his game. Very impressive in how he has set about the winter."

Dennis said Montoya's main motivation is to win the title, and played down suggestions that the driver may want to raise his game following the announcement that Fernando Alonso will take one of the McLaren seats next year.

"I don't think it had any negative or positive influence," Dennis said of Alonso's deal. "I think it is clear that he (Montoya) wants to win races and World Championships, as does Kimi of course, and I think he looked for anything within his own power to increase that possibility."

Man of Honour
OP
Oracle said:
No offency Flibster, and some will flame me, but I really CBA to read all of that biography crap! Keep it simple like you did last year!

Thanks ;)

Easy solution then...

Don't... ;)

Simon/~Flibster

Man of Honour
OP
Dennis reckons all teams will commit to F1

McLaren team chief Ron Dennis reckons all current teams will commit to staying in Formula One beyond the 2008 season.

With both Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone and the Grand Prix Manufacturers' Association admitting this month that they are close to reaching a deal, Dennis reckons the threat of a breakaway championship is ready to go away.

"I think everybody that is currently in F1 will be in F1 in 2008 on the basis of this issue," Dennis said ahead of the season-opening Bahrain Grand Prix. "Maybe there are teams who would choose not to participate, irrespective of the circumstances surrounding F1."

Dennis admitted his own team will want to remain in Formula One and he believes the sport will be in better shape once an agreement is reached.

"We are an F1 team and if F1 exists then we want to be in F1," he said. "We are not going to put ourselves in a position where we cannot compete. There is an acceptance by everyone involved that it would be difficult to put together another series for 2008, not impossible, but difficult.

"But that has never been our objective. Our objective has always been to find a way forward that works to the best of our ability for everyone. There is always compromise in these situation but generally F1 will be winner."

Dennis's outfit are one of five teams who are yet to commit to Formula One. The others are world champions Renault, BMW, Honda and Toyota.

Ecclestone said last week he expected the issue to be settled before the race in Bahrain this weekend, and although that looks unlikely now, Dennis admitted the situation is looking very positive.

"I feel there is a very positive mood and a positive desire to move things forward and find solutions to the problems. It has been a very long process but I think it is important to remember we are talking about 2008 and in any process there has to be some compromise at the appropriate time.

"I think the appropriate time everybody recognizes is now and everyone involved in the process is determined to take their own decisions in terms of the long term interests of F1. And if F1 benefits by way of growth then clearly everyone involved in F1 benefits because we are effectively now in a sharing process rather than a fixed income supplemented by television revenue.

"So it is a better way forward for F1 and it incentives everyone to make F1 better."

FIA president Max Mosley said recently that those teams threatening to break away from Formula One risked losing their spot if they didn't commit soon.

And although Dennis believes Mosley was serious, he admitted he had not given much thought to the warning.

"I think he is quite serious, but I haven't applied much thought to it at the moment. I know the date is not too far away at the moment but I have been concentrating on the economic model (of the team) and I think we are, with the announcement yesterday, extremely strong for the next few years."

McLaren announced yesterday that Dubai-based Emirates Airline will sponsor them this season.

Man of Honour
OP
Haug fears Toro Rosso can reach podium

The controversy over the competitiveness of Scuderia Toro Rosso's V10 engines looks set to escalate this weekend with Mercedes-Benz motorsport director Norbert Haug predicting the team could even finish on the podium in Bahrain.

Red Bull's junior team have been the focus of complaints from rival outfits for much of the winter, amid fears that their restricted V10 may have the edge over V8s, and Haug claims that the matter will likely reach a head in Bahrain.

Speaking ahead of the first Grand Prix of the season, Haug said he believed that the FIA's equivalency rules between the two engine types had not gone far enough because he believed the V10 was as much as 70bhp more powerful than some V8 engines.

"Toro Rosso have more horsepower - that is not a secret," said Haug. "It could be up to 10 percent more. They also have more torque.

"But I am not criticising that. They were strong in testing here and they can go for a podium here, I am convinced."

Haug was keen not to stand out as critical of the FIA engine restrictions in place – but he made it clear that he was not the only one who believed Toro Rosso could surprise.

"At the end of the day, the FIA said it was going to regulate this engine. They will have an advantage. Am I screaming and shouting? No. But if people ask me whether they have an advantage then I have to say yes.

"Due to our calculations they do (have an advantage). Look at the car. If it's not the Red Bull, it is very similar to last year's car. Look at the tyres, the reliability, and the tests they have done. These are factors."

Should Haug's predictions come true, and Toro Rosso shine in Bahrain, then it would likely lead to a number of complaints from rival teams – several of whom are unhappy about the limitations on the V10.

And although Midland have so far been most critical of the situation, McLaren boss Ron Dennis has even said he would likely speak out if Toro Rosso starting taking points off his team.

"There are some strong opinions," said Dennis. "I think that the engine experts seem to believe the equivalency is wrong. There are the torque benefits, because the constraint influences power but not torque and the problem with a low-capacity V8 is torque related. Even if you get the power right you are still going to have an advantage.

"They are not in a particularly competitive car or have particularly competitive drivers, but they should be very reliable. And who knows, if they start to pick up points then I am sure there are those people subjected to the loss of points who will probably be very vocal about the fact. If it is us, I will be."

FIA president Max Mosley made it clear last month, however, that he believed the FIA's rev-limit and air intake restriction had done a good enough job in making the performance of the V10 and V8s similar.

"We have got an open mind, but we think it (the V10) is sufficiently below a competitive engine," he said. "So it (the V10 restriction) has achieved its purpose."

Back
Top Bottom