2006 Bahrain Grand Prix - Race 1/18

Soldato
Asking him to win was a tall order. With Alonso and Shucmy in thier form from qualifying, I knew that Kimi did'nt have a chance for the race win unless they crashed out. I did have a strong feeling that he could have got into the points probs 4th.

Oh well, better luck next time. Congrats on the big win btw ;)

Man of Honour
OP
Bennah said:
Asking him to win was a tall order. With Alonso and Shucmy in thier form from qualifying, I knew that Kimi did'nt have a chance for the race win unless they crashed out. I did have a strong feeling that he could have got into the points probs 4th.

Oh well, better luck next time. Congrats on the big win btw ;)

I was pretty relaxed that he could get 3rd but not win - so went with 15:1 rather than 50:1

Anyway - A1GP is on now - and Laguna Seca is very wet and slippery...

Corkscrew in slippery conditions - could be huge amounts of carnage.. :D

Simon/~Flibster

Man of Honour
OP
Mexico wins the sprint race...

France comes second and wins A1GP Championship

Portugal 3rd

Jos was great - all over the place - hitting people - spinning - doing doughnuts on the track - going the wrong way around the track...

Not as much carnage as I was expecting though...

Congrats to Mexico and France

SImon/~Flibster

Man of Honour
OP
Rosberg thrills dad with brilliant debut

Nico Rosberg won the praise of champions on Sunday after a sensational start to his Formula One career in Bahrain.

The 20-year-old Williams driver recovered from a first corner tangle to roar back to seventh place and set the fastest lap in the process.

His father, Finland's 1982 champion Keke, led the plaudits.

"It was unbelievable, to have a fastest race lap under normal conditions in your first ever Grand Prix I don't think anybody has ever had that. Phenomenal," he told Reuters.

"I think it's the best performance of any young driver that I've seen for a very long time," enthused three times champion Jackie Stewart.

"I can't remember a performance in a first Grand Prix that was so impressive," he told Reuters. "I had a sixth place in my first Grand Prix but he came from the back and I certainly didn't get fastest lap.

"His judgement, the manner in which he went about it...it's a rare commodity today but as a racing driver he knows how to pass and carries it out."

Germany's Rosberg seemed nonplussed by what he had achieved.

"It's great that I was able to add some excitement to the race," he told reporters. "It's very special for me on my debut and it was fun also to drive. The car felt great and the overtaking was a lot of fun.

"I always heard that it was impossible to overtake in F1 but it worked out fine for me."

The youngster made a mistake at the first corner - he said he had expected Nick Heidfeld in the BMW Sauber to leave him more room, and lost 45 seconds on a slow lap back to the pits.

He rejoined at the back of the field, a position that would have disheartened most newcomers.

Instead, Rosberg showed all the fighting qualities that brought him the GP2 title at the same desert circuit last year, overtaking Red Bull's Austrian Christian Klien on the last lap.

"Nico's race was stunning after the early error," said Williams co-owner Patrick Head.

"We could tell he was pretty good from the testing last year and whatever, but that sort of fighting quality you only actually see in the race.

"Nico obviously has massive potential. We've made very certain that our contract is good and safe," he added, alluding to the contract battle last year between Williams and BAR, now Honda, over Briton Jenson Button.

Rosberg said he was sure his watching father would have packed up and gone back to his hotel after the early incident.

Keke, renowned as a real fighter in his heyday, said he was made of sterner stuff.

"He always thinks I'm so negative. I'm not, I'm pragmatic - those first corner incidents are the ones you do not want to have," the former champion said.

"But he had a fantastic day after that and I'll buy him dinner tonight."

Associate
There's no doubt that there are some areas on the track that do promote overtaking, I think we can all agree that the Sakhir circuit is one of the better Tilke-designed tracks out there.

However, it appears as though the top teams are much better matched in terms of raw pace this time around, I think that also has to take some credit for the increased overtaking, although you have to bear in mind that there was still a fairly healthy amount of overtaking last season too. The revised rules could well have helped the overtaking, and I can see the tyres probably having the bigger part to play in that respect.

Factor in the fact that it's the first race of the season as well, and we really got a fantastic race yesterday.

Soldato
Richard T said:
further proof that he has forgotton how to overtake!!!!

How about trying to overtake instead of waiting for traffic..... pffft :rolleyes:

Did you notice any real ovetaking when there wasn't a mistake or traffic?? The only exception would by Kimi but that was mainly due to the massive difference in performance between him and the others towards the back of the grid.

When the cars are very very close in terms of performance they just can't overtake. Did you notice Alonso having a go at MS?? no because he can't the cars are too simliar and the aero package screw the airflow meaning no downforce when your jammed under gearbox.

This is not MS forgetting how to overtake this is F1 rules causing a problem.

Soldato
J1nxy said:
Did you notice any real ovetaking when there wasn't a mistake or traffic?? The only exception would by Kimi but that was mainly due to the massive difference in performance between him and the others towards the back of the grid.

When the cars are very very close in terms of performance they just can't overtake. Did you notice Alonso having a go at MS?? no because he can't the cars are too simliar and the aero package screw the airflow meaning no downforce when your jammed under gearbox.

This is not MS forgetting how to overtake this is F1 rules causing a problem.

Jenson managed to overtake a few people.... Nico as well Kimi must have done a lot off camera as well..

what I'm saying is that shuey NEVER tries to overtake any more

Man of Honour
OP
Renault confirm Faure steps down

Renault confirmed on Monday their Formula One director Patrick Faure was stepping down.

Faure will be replaced by 59-year-old Alain Dassas, a former Renault financial director, the team said a day after Fernando Alonso's victory at the season-opening Grand Prix in Bahrain.

"Together with Alain Dassas, our objective is to maintain the successful momentum of the Renault F1 Team," Carlos Ghosn, chief executive at Renault, said.

He called Renault's double Formula One victory in 2005 "a historic event," which was the fruit of investment and the determination of the entire F1 team.

Alonso made a perfect start to the Formula One season with victory in the Bahrain Grand Prix on Sunday.

Seven times world champion Michael Schumacher, starting from a record-equalling pole position on an all-Ferrari front row, had to settle for second after a thrilling battle with his young rival.

Alonso, the 24-year-old Spaniard who last year became Formula One's youngest champion, made sure of his ninth victory after emerging from his final pitstop just as the 37-year-old German was about to go past.

Alonso has signed a contract to join McLaren in 2007.

Back
Top Bottom