200mbps broadband = 70mpbs connection speed

Associate
Hey Everyone!

I recently upgraded to virgin m200 the only problem is one of my devices that uses a TP-LINK TL-PA411KIT AV500 500 Mbps Nano Powerline Adapter only gets 70-90Mbps.

I tested by plugging directly into the router, I can achieve 200+Mbps but through this powerline adapter I only get 70-90mbps.

The powerline adapter isn't using wireless it is plugged into the wall then connected directly to the router with a cat6 cable and the other end is connected at the wall and plugged into my computer with a cat6 cable.

I thought it may have been my mainboard (asus prime z370-p) slowing it down but it looks like it isn't.

I am thinking two things.

1. Powerline adapters are rated higher than they really are.
2. There is maybe some interference causing the signal degradation. (I have always achieved the advertised speed up until now so not sure about this one).

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Associate
OP
Thanks for your replies that pretty much puts this to bed.

Can't believe they would design a 500mbps powerline adapter with a 100mbps ethernet port.

It was bad enough when I realized they shipped the thing with cat5 cables lol.

Having 90 Mbps isn't stopping me from doing anything I just want to know I am getting what I am paying for really.

Appreciate the replies, its actually eye opening to find out the limitations of these devices despite advertised speeds.

Associate
OP
Cat5 cables will usually handle Gigabit even if they aren't rated for it. In this case, it's only ever going to be a 100 Mbit/sec connection anyway.

I don't understand how a cat5 cable can handle anything over 100 Mbps, isn't that logically impossible?

Side note: Those cables are 5e and are potentially capable of 10Gb/s, they are more than adequate for the intended usage.

The cables had 'cat5 UTP' printed on them, if they were cat5e wouldn't it say cat5e?

Associate
OP
Hey guys,

So to revive this thread I am looking to upgrade some home networking kit to get my as close to cabled connection as possible.

My desktop computer is up one floor but should realistically see the router through one partitioned wall due to where the stairs are located.

I was wanting your thoughts on whether to get a high quality power-line adapter or upgrade to a decent wi-fi extender with a gigabyte ethernet port and also some recommendations.

Your two pence would be appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom