200mm Case Fan

Associate
Hi there.
I currently have a Coolermaster megaflow in my Corsair 650D. The fan has been ok, very quiet but doesnt shift a lot of air. Its getting on now and has started to vibrate so it needs changing.
Im looking at the Noctua NF-A20 PWM. Does anyone know what the difference is between this one and the 5v version, apart from the voltage? As they are both PWM, you can run them both slowly so is there an advantage too the 5v version?

Thanks

Man of Honour
If you put a 5v 4 pin fan on a 12v 4 pin header it will pop unless there's voltage option in the bios.

Thats a why the fan comes with a usb adapter

Take a look at this.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
If you put a 5v 4 pin fan on a 12v 4 pin header it will pop unless there's voltage option in the bios.

Thats a why the fan comes with a usb adapter

Take a look at this.

Thanks for the info. So if I get the 12v version and slow the speed down, it wont be any loader than the 5v version? All the other specs look the same.

Soldato
Hi there.
I currently have a Coolermaster megaflow in my Corsair 650D. The fan has been ok, very quiet but doesnt shift a lot of air. Its getting on now and has started to vibrate so it needs changing.
Im looking at the Noctua NF-A20 PWM. Does anyone know what the difference is between this one and the 5v version, apart from the voltage? As they are both PWM, you can run them both slowly so is there an advantage too the 5v version?

Thanks

You want to be really careful buying 200mm fans. I bought the Noctua and was disappointed to find that the fitting holes are in completely different places to coolermaster fans I was replacing. Required some case drilling to fit them.

The Noctuas are pretty much silent. I didn't even know there was a 5v version, I am using the 12v version. They are significantly quieter than the coolermasters.

Associate
OP
You want to be really careful buying 200mm fans. I bought the Noctua and was disappointed to find that the fitting holes are in completely different places to coolermaster fans I was replacing. Required some case drilling to fit them.

The Noctuas are pretty much silent. I didn't even know there was a 5v version, I am using the 12v version. They are significantly quieter than the coolermasters.
Thanks a lot for that info. Strange they would be different, will definitely check.

Associate
I had the A20 (12v PWM version) fitted onto my 650D as well, it'll fit in fine, but you do need to remove the front cages to another location or remove them completely to get it in. Then use Noctua's long silicone mounts to fit the fan in. Don't use screws as posted above it'll be off. But the long silicone mounts allow you to thread and mount the fan through fine on the front of the 650D.

Associate
OP
I had the A20 (12v PWM version) fitted onto my 650D as well, it'll fit in fine, but you do need to remove the front cages to another location or remove them completely to get it in. Then use Noctua's long silicone mounts to fit the fan in. Don't use screws as posted above it'll be off. But the long silicone mounts allow you to thread and mount the fan through fine on the front of the 650D.
That’s great, thanks for the info. I’ve removed the front cage so should be good.

Back
Top Bottom