2012 i7 Mac Mini similar performance to my 2015 Macbook Pro?

Associate
I've recently bought a Surface Book to use away from home and I'm thinking of selling my 2015 Macbook Pro and getting a 2012 Mac Mini to use as my home computer.

I do web/app design and I use apps like Figma/Sketch and a tiny amount of Photoshop. Right now my Macbook can get a bit loud when I have too many tabs open or watch anything over 1080p60 on Youtube.

I'm thinking about getting a 2012 i7 (2.3 GHz or 2.6 GHz) Mac Mini with 16Gb of RAM and a SSD.

The main reasons is don't need 2 laptops now that I have the surface and I can probably pocket a few hundred pounds/bucks buy selling my Macbook and getting the Mac Mini.

I'm well aware it won't be an upgrade but I'm happy with a sidegrade if it performs relatively similar and generally runs quieter.

My Macbook is a mid-2015 with an i7 2.2Ghz and 16Gb of RAM if that helps.

Commissario
I would imagine the graphics card on the MacBook Pro would be superior to the Mac Mini and you're definitely going to take a performance hit going to a machine that's three years older.

Just take a look a the geekbench scores.

H9X8kyN.png

Associate
OP
I would imagine the graphics card on the MacBook Pro would be superior to the Mac Mini and you're definitely going to take a performance hit going to a machine that's three years older.

Just take a look a the geekbench scores.

H9X8kyN.png

The 2.6GHz Mac Mini has 87% of the speed of my Macbook Pro, that's not too bad actually. Nothing I do uses a lot of CPU so I might be able to get away with that. I'm guessing when it's 'underload' the Mac Mini might be a bit quieter. I think my MBP has an Iris GPU whatever that is :)

Soldato
A 2012 mini would be very slow and possibly be a pain to run new apps.

I went from a 2009 mini / 2011 MBP to a 2019 mini. Goes like stink. Integrated graphics ok but an eGPU is an option.

Soldato
And apart from anything else, I don't know how many further macOS updates will work on it. Catalina may well be the last.

PS - There isn't a 2019 Mac Mini, the last update was October 2018 so it's a 2018 model :)

true but I bought mine in 2019 :)

very impressed with performance especially now it’s upgraded to 32GB

Back
Top Bottom