2014 Winter Olympics - not long now

Associate
Apologies if there is already a thread on here - my tired eyes couldnt spot it!

Not long till the winter Olympics in Sochi and just wondered if anyone was planning to watch it and what sports in particular you were going to follow?

Tbh I'm not really fussy, I love all of it :)

Soldato
I'll watch as much of it as i can. I like the winter olympics more than the summer olympics.
Most looking forward to boardercross/skiercross and all of the downhill disciplines.

Associate
OP
Shame Amy wont be doing her thing in the 'Skeleton' but will be good to see how well team GB can do - we just cant compete with our European counterparts but its good to see when we get close.

Definitely hoping Chemmy Alcott can overcome her injuries and do well.

Soldato
Shame Amy wont be doing her thing in the 'Skeleton' but will be good to see how well team GB can do....

Who needs her when Lizzy has over 3/4s of a second over her nearest rival after 3 runs (baring anything amazing from the rest of the third run to come ;))

She's mullered this field and really stepped up. 2 course records and an almost unheard of lead going into the last round.

Britain yet again leads the world in tea tray sliding :D:D:D

Incidentally she's Amy's lodger ;)

Soldato
The girl did good, even if that last run was a little hairy in places :eek: but finishing nearly a second ahead of your nearest rival and doing that 5 years after taking up the sport is truly special.

We're above Sweden in the medal table :eek: :p

Associate
I like the way they were saying her last run wasn't very good when it was still the fastest run in the round and the second fastest in the entire competition and behind only her previous run which was the track record.

Kind of emphasizes how much better she was than the rest

Commissario
Really enjoying it, I like watching pretty much all of the winter Olympics so I've got it on whenever I'm in the front room. As well as enjoying all the sports, some of those Russian curling chicks are great eye candy [/sexist]

Soldato
Ice Hockey. Lots of NHL players playing for their countries. Surprised to see Jaromir Jagr playing for the Czechs at 42 years old. :o

The guys a legend - still playing well for the Devils too in the reg season.
Jagr is one of 2 reasons I got into Ice Hockey 20 years ago in the early 90s.
I started to support the Penguins because of him - and any fan will therefore know who the 2nd player was!!! (Mario :cool:)

To still be playing at this level even now is a hell of an achievement.

Anyhow...got Wed booked off work to watch the Men's Quaters although I expect the 4 top seeded teams to go throughto Semi's with Russia the only one really likely to provide an upset due to home nation and some quality individual players.

Can v USA Womens final on Thursday evening should be worth a watch too. Womens Hockey is boring because those 2 teams are so far ahead but they themselves usually produce an exciting game.

The group stages are kind of pointless as the quality divide between teams is huge at the Olympics but the Semi's and Finals should be cracking games.

...Finland to provide an upset and win Gold! :cool:

I called Seahawks for Superbowl after 1st game of the season and Blues for the Stanley Cup (neither of which has won the trophies in their history) so my predictions are going well so far

Soldato
I think the Russians are struggling with the expectation to be honest.

Doesn't help when members of the 1980 team are writing open letters to the players reminding them of their responsabilities!

I think Canada will take gold but when watching the Finns the other day they looked good (also the Swedes are a good team).

Caporegime
Really enjoying it, I like watching pretty much all of the winter Olympics so I've got it on whenever I'm in the front room. As well as enjoying all the sports, some of those Russian curling chicks are great eye candy [/sexist]

Try the snowboarders. Eva Samková. Wow.

Back
Top Bottom