2015 Renault Clio Expression

Soldato
We have just got this car and its very nice,But did not come with alloys,So looking to get some after market ones.

Just a couple of questions if anyone knows,

• Do they have to be 15" alloys or can you go 16" with the tyres that were on the stock wheel trims (15")? as we plan to use the same tyres just change em over to the alloys.
  • Tyre pressure sensors - i think this model has this built in,Will it keep getting triggered if i change to aftermarket alloys? and if so what can i do to sort this.

Thanks and appreciate any help. :)

Caporegime
Tyre pressure sensors count the rotation of your wheels. If one rotates faster than the other this indicates low pressure and will set it off, so as long as the wheels are the same the functionality will remain.

Soldato
If you have TPMS sensors in each wheel then you should just be able to get them moved across to the new alloys. Don't see why that would be a problem. As above though it depends on what system you have - there's the simpler form that just counts the rotations and throws up a warning if one wheel's rotation differs from the others or the full blown sensor in each wheel so that the car can tell you what the pressure is. If you have the simpler variant without wheel sensors then there's no hassle at all.

If you have 15" wheels now and want to keep the same tyres then you'll have to get 15" alloys. If you do go with 16" wheels then you'll have to get tyres with a smaller sidewall to offset the fact that the rim diameter is larger, otherwise you could have clearance issues and your speedo could end up slightly off.

Soldato
Depends on the TPMS sensor, if it actually reads the pressure like the newer ones it is part of the valve and will need replacing.

Soldato
The sensors in my car are proper TPMS sensors that allow the car to display the current pressure. I had one swapped to a replacement alloy without a problem but on mine the valve stem part comes away from the TPMS sensor itself (though it didn't stop a fitter from breaking one of my TPMS sensors a few weeks back) so it was straightforward. Not sure what sensors are like on other cars to be fair.

Back
Top Bottom