2016 Chilli Growers Thread

Associate
What's this? February and no chilli growers thread yet? This needs sorting.

After lurking in the threads over the last couple of years and not doing a thing, I'm going to have a go at growing some this year.
I have ordered myself the following seeds from South Devon Chilli farm:
Aji Lemon
Apache F1 Hybrid
Hot Chocolate Habaneros
Jalapenos
Pimientos de Padron
Orange Habaneros

I'm hoping these will be a good place to start and hopefully will have a lovely multi coloured crop of burning goodness in the next 6 months.

So tell us how last year's crop went and what you're growing this year :D.

For the sake of continuity, I'll post some helpful links that were in last year's thread.

Herman Gelmet;27494772[B said:

Associate
OP
Goods arrived this morning.

wqtlnGk.jpg

Now I need to decide how to germinate them. Does a putting the seeds in a wet paper towel, then in a ziploc and stored in a warm cupboard still get good results?

Associate
OP
I've put a few of my seeds in damp kitchen roll and put them in a half closed ziploc. They're currently in my dining room which is around 21/22C most of the day. Is this warm enough to get them going? Some places say 18C is enough while others are closer to 30C

Associate
OP
I was having similar concerns Gilly, so I've bought a cheap electric propagator from B+Q for 15 quid. I think I've managed to get the temperature up to around 25C in the sunlight, according to the meat thermometer I've stuck in there :o. I'm hoping that should be enough for now

gKabkNJ.jpg

Associate
OP
Another check today, and a few of the aji lemon, and a couple of the chocolate and orange habaneros have started sprouting, so I've potted them up. The already potted Apaches and jalapenos are already breaking their shoots through to top of the soil, very happy.

Associate
OP
Right, apaches are jalapenos are firing on all cylinders. I've moved the sprouted seeds to an unheated propagator and move them round the house to follow the sun during the day. I usually give them a few sprays each with a water bottle once a day, is this enough or do they need a bit more with the intensity of the sun on them? I measured 32C in the sun in the heated propagator today.
The others that I've potted but haven't broken the soil yet are still in the heated propagator along with the seeds that haven't sprouted. I'm sticking that next to the radiator overnight to see if I can speed them up a bit.
Once these grow a bit and start their second set of leaves, what is the best size pot to move up to? I have plenty of tiny pots in the shed but I think i'll need some bigger ones. My end goal is to get the chillies all in 10 litre pots. What is the best way to step up the size each time I repot?

Also has anyone grown pimientos de padron before? I thought they would be easy to grow as they are so mild, but they are the only variety to not have a single germination. Even the habaneros are ahead of them. Do they need something else that I'm missing? I've made up a new ziploc with some new seeds in, will see how that goes.

Associate
OP
Thanks. I'll go for a medium pot straight after these tiny ones then. Reading around and getting conflicting information makes things a bit more confusing. Some sources say a big pot too early gives the plant less incentive to grow quickly :/

Associate
OP
Another quick update. Most of the Apaches and Jalapenos are well on the way. Will look to repot when a second load of leaves develop. The hotter plants are just starting to poke through. They are definitely much slower, but seem to still be growing.
Still got a dozen or so seeds left in the ziplocs, bout I don't hold up much hope for them now. One or two went mouldy and the Pimientos still show no signs of life. But if I get a good proportion of the already plotted plants through to crop then I'll be more than happy.

QGO90GP.jpg

UYWcTHe.jpg

How's everyone else getting on?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Potted on the jalapenos and apaches today as they were starting to fill out their first planters. Dog tried to lend his assistance but I don't think he quite got it :p

sS1uZJY.jpg

fDPbwOQ.jpg

Associate
OP
Quick update again. Most of the plants are progressing nicely. I took the hotter ones out of the propagator since I don't think they were getting quite enough light and maybe ventilation. I've had to ditch 9 or 10 that didn't make it, I must have done something wrong along the way.

pSqavLd.jpg

Associate
OP
Update time, and a bit of advice required.

Jalapenos and apaches are rocketing along. They're in 4 inch pots and I'm just starting to see 3 or 4 white roots poking through the bottom. Will they be all right for another week or two while I work out what I'm doing about the pot size to move them on to?
Hotter chillies are getting there, slowly but surely.
I'm currently watering them once every other day, unless its warm and sunny and then they get watered every day.

Now I'm in a bit of a mess in terms of what to do next. When potting these on, what is the best size to move up to? Do I go to something like an 8 inch pot? Also I'm currently using John Innes no2 compost. Do I stick with that for now or move onto something different. Additionally I've seen a lot of people using vermiculite and perlite in their soil. I haven't used any thus far and they seem to be growing fine. Is it recommended to use this stuff or just keep going how I am?

Pics of the plants as they are:

YDjRm9a.jpg

Fkym54F.jpg

Associate
OP
Room was running out in the house, and with me repotting a lot of the plants into flower buckets a more permanent home was needed. So over the weekend I've built this

iDxz6Mh.jpg

qxQDtvv.jpg

cJMokZs.jpg

They seem to be doing well enough. A few more of the smaller ones need potting on shortly. I've also got buds appearing on the apaches and jalapenos. What do I do with these ones now? Is it time for some chilli focus? Some people seem to suggest cutting the first flowers off or something?

sz6yHCa.jpg

Associate
OP
After some setbacks and aphids (protip, don't use 50/50 water to fairly liquid. It kills pests but takes all the leaves with them) I have plenty of flowering plants and some that are fruiting. I've read in a couple of places that it's best to pick the first set of fruits before they ripen to encourage better growth. Any truth to this or will leaving them be OK?

Back
Top Bottom