2016 Chilli Growers Thread

Associate
What's this? February and no chilli growers thread yet? This needs sorting.

After lurking in the threads over the last couple of years and not doing a thing, I'm going to have a go at growing some this year.
I have ordered myself the following seeds from South Devon Chilli farm:
Aji Lemon
Apache F1 Hybrid
Hot Chocolate Habaneros
Jalapenos
Pimientos de Padron
Orange Habaneros

I'm hoping these will be a good place to start and hopefully will have a lovely multi coloured crop of burning goodness in the next 6 months.

So tell us how last year's crop went and what you're growing this year :D.

For the sake of continuity, I'll post some helpful links that were in last year's thread.

Herman Gelmet;27494772[B said:

Soldato
Completely forgot about it this year. Will have to get some soil soon. Going to have a go at growing some jalepenos this year as well as the hotter ones.

Mods, please dont move to la cuisine where it will get no views :(. If it has to be moved from GD than H&G would be a better place.

Man of Honour
Sorry Mark had already moved it before I saw this post. I'm going to be joining in I think :)

It should get posts in here, in GD I thinking would get lost.

Don
I was looking at some chilli seeds the other day thinking I should grow my own, this thread has made my mind up. Any recommendations for a good medium/hot chilli.

Soldato
Completely forgot about it this year. Will have to get some soil soon. Going to have a go at growing some jalepenos this year as well as the hotter ones.

Mods, please dont move to la cuisine where it will get no views :(. If it has to be moved from GD than H&G would be a better place.

last chilli thread had loads of posts in La C

Soldato

Why doesn't it get enough views in La Cuisine? It's a well-populated forum with a lot of decent contribution.

All my plants from last year have pretty much survived in the greenhouse outside over the mild winter, so I don't think I need to start any this year. I'll be checking what I've got over the weekend and trimming them back to help them along. They still have leaves and only a few were wilting when I checked the other day in passing. Pretty amazing really!

Soldato
When it was in GD originally it got lots of new people into trying it. I was one of the people that saw the thread and gave it a try as before that I didnt even know you could grow chillies in the UK. Lacuisine is quite a small sub forum, so just thought it would be better somewhere a bit busier. I think H&G is a good compromise.

I really hope my plants don't get infested with fungus gnats again this year. I had to bin all my plants instead of over wintering them as the soil was full of them. I think this year ill try lining the bottom and top of the pot with gravel to see if that helps.

Last edited:
Soldato
Excellent.. I was way too engrossed in stuff in Jan.. luckily we've had to replace the boiler (failed during the -4 nights we had) too which would have killed off any chilli in the house :/

So last day if install today.. should have a warmer house.. so CHILLI ON!

Soldato
WOW! My mind has not even touched on growing anything yet this year.

I need to get myself sorted with this! The past few years I have started too late. Now is the time I should be sowing.

Soldato
Has anyone ordered from fatal.net? Their english is awful hence being slightly suspicious:
uite special semi-wild C. praetermissum variety with long pods.
They have very nice, high heat level.
Turns into a great tasting powder that gives a nice tingling in your tongue.
The plant itself is very gorgeous and can be filled with nice pods.
Ideal for bonsai chile growing too.

Soldato
I thought I had successfully overwintered my scotch bonnet plant but in the last week or so, the top has started to go brown, so I fear it has died on me :(

Will hopefully grow a few this year if I get around to it and life doesn't get in the way.

Soldato
I thought I had successfully overwintered my scotch bonnet plant but in the last week or so, the top has started to go brown, so I fear it has died on me :(

Will hopefully grow a few this year if I get around to it and life doesn't get in the way.

Yup if it goes brown systemically.. then that's not a good sign.. give it some feed and get it warmed up.. let it start growing..

Soldato
Thanks, I shall give that a go (tomato feed ok or is there something else I should be using?) and keep my fingers crossed.

Tomato feed is too intense.

The main thing is put it under some sunlight and give it a little water..

If it's going to survive it needs to start producing energy. As long as it didn't freeze with the latest cold temps?

Back
Top Bottom