2019/20 Pre Season Thread

Don
It's that time of year again when real football is on it's way back. Liverpool have just kicked off their first of 100 pre season games vs Tranmere. Clyne's just scored a screamer to put us 1-0 up after 6 minutes.

Don
OP
Yea, we've got a couple of glamour games with Tranmere and then Bradford before we head out to the US:
  • Tranmere - Liverpool 11/7/19 @ 7.30pm
  • Bradford - Liverpool 14/7/19 @ 3pm
  • Dortmund - Liverpool 20/7/19 @ 1am
  • Sevilla - Liverpool 21/7/19 @11pm
  • Sporting Lisbon - Liverpool 25/7/19 @ 1am
  • Napoli - Liverpool 28/7/19 @ 5pm
  • Lyon - Liverpool 31/7/19 @ 6pm

Don
OP
How'd Brewster play last night?
Neither his goals were much to write home about but he showed the goalscorers instincts to be in the right place at the right time to score them. What I was pleasantly surprised by was how he managed physically up against senior pros - he looks to have filled out a bit and had no problems matching their defenders for strength in 50-50 challenges.

Hoever was the standout player for me though. He played RB last night but he's just so naturally talented that you could see him playing anywhere. Like Brewster, he looks physically more developed than he did even from last January and you could see him featuring a fair bit this season. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if his emergence plus the Van Den Berg signing are the reasons why we're not in for a LB this summer - Hoever at RB and Van Den Berg at CB certainly give us plenty of options and free up Gomez to cover LB when needed.

Don
OP
Phenomenal ****housery from Sevilla in our game tonight. Two players booked for discent, the 1st of which (Banega) would have been a red had it not been a pre-season game and then the 2nd lad followed up his booking with a lunge straight through the back of Ox, again only escaping a red as its pre-season.

Don
OP
Fell asleep early in the 2nd half but not surprised to hear what went on to happen. Banega got away with an elbow on Wilson right on half time too. Crazy behaviour for a side in pre-season.

Don
OP
We need to pick friendlier friendly opponents. After the crazy Sevilla game a Lisbon defender's just 2 footed Wijnaldum.

Don
OP
Shocking first 30 mins vs Napoli for us. We're trying to play some sort of 4-5-1 with Wijnaldum & Ox as wide midfielders but we're wide open down our right hand side and Napoli are having a field day.

Don
OP
Wilson hasn't a hope of playing for us and Brewster's a kid that has spent over a year out injured. Pre-season has been a bit of a mish mash with so many players still not even back. The whole way we're set-up to play is based around our front 3 and without them we're having to shoe horn players into positions. Thankfully Bobby, Mo and Mane haven't had too much time off so shouldn't need long to get up to speed.

Don
OP
I'm not sure too much is up, it's pre-season. Our pre-season has been very fragmented though with lots of players returning late and the likes of Alisson, Firmino, Mane and Salah not even having returned. Throw in a couple of injuries to our other senior attack minded players and we've had a very unbalanced squad, often playing in makeshift formations because we don't have any forwards.

Don
OP
Mark I really have no idea what we disagree on. I want us to sign an attacker too, I'm just aware that Klopp won't sign somebody for the sake of it.

Don
OP
Other than Alisson still being drunk from the summer and giving away a pen, it's been the best 30 mins of our pre-season so far. Firmino, Salah, Keita & Shaq making their first appearances has really shown - we've been much sharper and fluid in our attacks. Defence is still all over the place but with 2 kids in their and Lallana as your defensive midfielder that's to be expected.

Don
OP
Harvey Elliott turned 16 in April. Got a feeling I'll be reminding myself of that a few more times - what a talent he looks, just needs a trip to the barbers. We could seriously do with a League Cup run this season because the likes of Elliott and Hoever deserve to be playing, they're both serious talents.

Much better performance overall and no real surprise given we had a few more senior players available. There'll be a few supporters calling for Wilson to be given a chance after his goal today but he's just another Andros Townsend imo - cracking strike from him though.

Don
OP
A couple of injuries to those front lads and we'll need him. Unless hes sold to make funds for a player i dont see the point in selling him
Klopp won't pick him. I'd bet you see us playing a 4-2-3-1 a lot this coming season which makes it even more unlikely that Wilson would get near the side.

Back
Top Bottom