2019 Chilli Growing thread

Soldato
Already 32c in my polly tunnel, and thats with both doors open and all windows, no more i can do, i know best temp is around 27c, or plants can stop growing, especially tomatoes hate it, think chillis are ok to 30c ?

Soldato
Took the first chilli off the aji limon last night to go into a lamb kofta wrap - yummy!! Some others starting to colour quite nicely as well.
One question though, quite a few of the early fruit have some very dark colouration - almost black - are these likely to ripen? If not I'll just remove them now...

Dont worry about them being black, they should eventually turn correct colour.

As part of the natural ripening process it is quite common for chilli peppers to be black in appearance or have black/dark streaks on them.

However as the pods start to ripen, the sugar content in the fruit increases and the skin will often turn a dark brown or black colour temporarily.

How long this ripening process takes depends on a number of different factors such as weather, feeding regime and watering levels. There are no hard or fast rules how long the ripening process takes and the only thing that tends to speed up the process is the amount of sun your plants are getting.

Soldato
Just checked my quadgrow reservoir, and roots from my tomato plants are through, only planted up 4 weeks ago.
roots-quadgrow-tomato-plants-28-06-2019.jpg

Soldato
Hi all,

What is peoples advice for dealing with Whitefly? I've been giving my 4 plants a thorough wash with a very fine mist from the hose. Whilst this appears to rid the plant, a couple always seem to be back a day or two later and then if left unchecked they return as before.

Thanks

Mark

Caporegime
My first Habanero has started to ripen now. Got 20 of them on the last plant in my grow tent and not sure whether to disturb it now by moving it in to the greenhouse with the other plants, all of which have no fruit but are getting much bigger.

Soldato
36c now in polly tunnel, all doors and windows open, way to hot for growth or pod setting, thought i should pick these really small Burkina Yellow Habanero pods from over wintered plant, smallest pods ever, but very hot and fruity.
Burkina-Yellow-Habanero-29-06-2019.jpg

Associate
Had to keep mine in tiny pots this year due to lack of windowsill space as still waiting for landscaper to get in to do new base for greenhouse outside. Wierdly most of the plants seem quite happy still. Had 1st pickings of padrons a couple of weeks ago and got some more ready to take along with a dozen or so jalapenos. Going to leave the jalapenos for another week or two to ripen up some more. White devil tongues started fruiting now too. Will get some pictures up soon

Caporegime
Hi all,

What is peoples advice for dealing with Whitefly? I've been giving my 4 plants a thorough wash with a very fine mist from the hose. Whilst this appears to rid the plant, a couple always seem to be back a day or two later and then if left unchecked they return as before.

Thanks

Mark

you can get a spray from the online shops which sell plants, seeds, seedlings, plugs, etc.

it's supposed to be safe to use on them. not cheap but it's good for the plant and you.

Associate
OP
@SHOTinTHEface86 and @Daytrader - some lovely looking plants and chilli's there.

With the temps and sunshine the aji limon have started ripening in bulk now so really happy with them.

Scotch bonnet now has its first fruit and paper lantern starting to flower so looking forward to them.

I got my padron started much later than I'd liked but have 4 healthy plants now doing really well.

Caporegime
A few of my plants in the greenhouse have started to produce now and the last one in my grow tent has loads of fruit, three of which have started to ripen. Just not sure how red a red Habanero should be, they still look a bit orange to me.

Don
Having a big problem with aphids on my chillis and usual insecticides not working.

Any advice please?

Had a load on my sweet pepper plants.
Currently using spray bottle of water with a few drops of liquid hand soap. Have sprayed at close range every evening for the last 3-4 days and almost completely gone now.
Have left the plants outside for a few days hoping for ladybirds but not seen any.

Back
Top Bottom