2019 Chilli Growing thread

Caporegime
wow finally got a flower opening on one of my pepper plants. (make that 3+ now it's finally happening)
starting to think it might be because of the cooler weather

edit another day later now it;s got like 10 open flowers on it :D

Last edited:
Soldato
I've always had issues with aphids but this year seems to be worse than previous and fairy hasn't worked at all this year.

I've thought this as well. Last year I got hit, but it was at the end of the season so I wasn't too bothered. This year it started a month ago. I managed to get them under control, but this week I've noticed they're back.

My turkish pickling chillies and basket of fires are doing well and starting to ripen, however I've only got one lonely chilli on my ghost. It's only just started to flower properly!

h9XnQT4l.jpg

qvQRBgHl.jpg

61456ual.jpg

Caporegime
Mine are all dead. They were much bigger than previous years.

I'm going to pack my chilligrows away for a few years as I cannot put them where they currently are as situation has changed and I need the space.

I'll be back in a few years hopefully but I'm going to have to invest in something that can kill aphids for sure.

Caporegime
I'm curious do you guys water with rain water?

cos watching some "ecospheres" people made with rainwater the amount of things that end up living inside :O

btw what is this brown stuff? it's almost like scale but I don't think it is.
is it justy where the stem has kinda exploded as it's stretched from over watering or something?
2 of my plants have it although the other one barely any.

this is the plant that grew the biggest it's like twice the size of the others and never showed over watering signs on the leaves.

I can scratch it off and it doesn't move, it's only on the stems and not the leaves at all
the white markings look like stretch marks.
can't see any bugs on the plant anywhere. it's been like this for ages but seems to slowly get more

0Y7b1JU.jpg
wEkVp7p.jpg
eiZuVre.jpg

Last edited:
Associate

Thanks for the info.
Haven’t watered it for at least a week now, doesn’t seem to have made an awful lot of difference.
I’ll keep going with a weekly watering regime with tomorite and if it dies then so be it.
Really frustrating how picky they are.
The parsley plant is the complete opposite - absolutely drench it every couple days and it’s fine :rolleyes:

Caporegime
The stem has gone a bit corky in places. Nothing to worry about really tends to happen as they age.
ahh okay, the plant is thriving literally twice the size of the others with many more branches so I wasn't that worried.

I tried to google for pics of pepper/chilli plants with blight etc but none of them looked the same as mine.

Soldato
I germinated about 14 types of chili now, very late as it was about a month ish ago but hey. Coming on nicely now and the birds eyes are noticeably quicker off the mark and getting to bud stage way before anything else has even got going!

Soldato
I germinated about 14 types of chili now, very late as it was about a month ish ago but hey. Coming on nicely now and the birds eyes are noticeably quicker off the mark and getting to bud stage way before anything else has even got going!
Perhaps I'll have a go at those next year then. I've quite enjoyed growing habaneros, but christ alive they take an age to give anything back.

Soldato
I'm curious do you guys water with rain water?

cos watching some "ecospheres" people made with rainwater the amount of things that end up living inside :O

btw what is this brown stuff? it's almost like scale but I don't think it is.
is it justy where the stem has kinda exploded as it's stretched from over watering or something?
2 of my plants have it although the other one barely any.

this is the plant that grew the biggest it's like twice the size of the others and never showed over watering signs on the leaves.

I can scratch it off and it doesn't move, it's only on the stems and not the leaves at all
the white markings look like stretch marks.
can't see any bugs on the plant anywhere. it's been like this for ages but seems to slowly get more

I water mine with rainwater with some mixed in feed. I always read that you shouldn't water them with tap water due to the chlorine, and if you had to, to leave the tap water out for the chlorine to disappear.

Hmm don't think i've seen that brown stuff on any of mine, i've got the lighter brown bits at the joints etc where i guess the stem grows/stresses from weight etc.

I guess as long as it's looking healthy, then probably wouldn't worry too much.

Soldato
Perhaps I'll have a go at those next year then. I've quite enjoyed growing habaneros, but christ alive they take an age to give anything back.
It's funny, I have 7 pots, hab morich, black tongue scorpions, trin scorpions etc etc. some mega hot ones... they are all tiny and so slow at starting out, but the padrons, jals and birds eyes are so much bigger and more advanced for the age! Always found that though, seems like the hotter the more of a bitch they are to get going but slow and steady!

Soldato
It's funny, I have 7 pots, hab morich, black tongue scorpions, trin scorpions etc etc. some mega hot ones... they are all tiny and so slow at starting out, but the padrons, jals and birds eyes are so much bigger and more advanced for the age! Always found that though, seems like the hotter the more of a bitch they are to get going but slow and steady!
Yup the Capsicum chinense hot chills all take a lot longer to come on and get ripe, you need a long growing season for them really, the Capsicum annuum not so hot chillis like cayenne, jalapeños, etc all grow and ripe a lot quicker.

Caporegime
all my buds were still falling off after starting to flower over a week ago and I hand pollinated them each time

seems finally some have started to set peppers

Soldato
My neighbour gifted me one of these last night. It's called Joe's Long Cayenne, and I couldn't get over the size difference compared to my habaneros!

FW56SmQ.jpg

Caporegime
nice how many inches is that?

Here's mine with no fruit yet..
I was really late planting though and they're just starting to have the flowers set without falling off.
sorry for bad pic but too lazy to retake
the lava lamp box for scale is 18inches tall
VW3VjN2.jpg
the one on the left is proper bushy as hell
middle one is a bit "meh" and was always the slowest at growing..
one on the far right is tall but didn't bush out it's actually half the size of the one on the left in terms of leaves

Soldato
A mate of mine is on holiday at the moment and is growing some chilies, but only things like jals and nothing too hot. He's brought over 23 plants for me to tend to for a week. At the same time, I counted my pots and I'm at 38! I need to buy some new pots to transfer them into their final places on a number. What size do you think is best? 15L? I'll have to amazon them, around here they're like 2.50-5er a pot!

Back
Top Bottom