2021 Season Chilli Growing

Soldato
I'm still holding off planting my seeds until it gets a bit closer to spring. If I had a cold frame, which I haven't got round to buying or making, I'd get a heated prop and plant them now.

Caporegime
I'm germinating already seems like loads of sunlight the last few days here, and mine grow in a window so no cold risk anyway.
seems about the right time, over 8 hours of daylight according to google now
Attacking them and then they always die
Never seen one recover in 4 years now
And my cherry tree well that had one cherry in 5 years something like black flies always attack that
could you be simply over watering them or ? what are the symptoms of attacks? have you witnessed any critters in the compost or feasting on the plants sap?

the roots should look healthy, if they don't and there's no signs of critters your probably doing something wrong.
too much water, too less, to much salt build up in the compost or whatever

if your not using fresh compost it could have diseases inside from previous grows too, so unless you are sterlising it on a hob or something don't reuse.

can you grow other things fine?

Soldato
I'm germinating already seems like loads of sunlight the last few days here, and mine grow in a window so no cold risk anyway.
seems about the right time, over 8 hours of daylight according to google now

could you be simply over watering them or ? what are the symptoms of attacks? have you witnessed any critters in the compost or feasting on the plants sap?

the roots should look healthy, if they don't and there's no signs of critters your probably doing something wrong.
too much water, too less, to much salt build up in the compost or whatever

if your not using fresh compost it could have diseases inside from previous grows too, so unless you are sterlising it on a hob or something don't reuse.

can you grow other things fine?

basically i found esp with the chillies that are sweet like peppers etc
the leaves of the plants get attacked to a point where the plant eventually dies off.

surely something is attacking the plant but like I said im sure I have got a good range of sprays to stop that from happening
i also use them sticky things in the greenhouse so all of the flies go straight to that

Soldato
I bit the bullet and bought a heated propagator. All seeds sown on Sunday:

x20 Bulgarian carrot
x20 Ring of fire
x12 Scotch bonnet

PXL-20220207-113047061.jpg

Caporegime
yea nows probably the time to be germinating.

I did some 2 weeks ago, I always forget how slow they germinate and take to grow. still only on the first set of baby leaves.

my tomatoes are already on the 3rd leaves

Soldato
how are all your chilly plants coming along?

Mine are growing ok but I do wonder I got like small pots and 4/5 seeds in each at which point do I need to transfer them to single pots?

I got tomatoes growing ok, but my aubergines are tremoundsly hard work. general trend is once I plant they will grow and then die. I played around with the propagator and now have a smart plug attached
it helped a bit but not sure what to do next, I just replanted aubergines today again

as for the chilly plants some of them are a pretty good size like 7-10cm with 4/5 in one pot
is it time to seperate them out? I'm not sure my propagator would fit so many of these plants in seperate pots though

Soldato
Mine are coming along nicely..

Mnv5oOHh.jpg

Scorpions on the left and tabasco on the right. I only did 10 seeds and 9 germinated so pretty happy with that. I'm going to stick them in their first pots this weekend.

Soldato
Selection of habanero, padron, jalapeno, big bomb all planted around 2-3rd week in Jan.

You can see the K'nex frame I made which my grow light is blue tacked too which has some younger Biquinhos in.

xfmOjnH.jpg

Soldato
nice u got them growing well I dont have any plants with more than 2 leaves

the only time I seen grow lights is when there are a number of police vehicles outside a home lol

Soldato
Soldato
My chillies are growing extremely slowly on the windowsill. I think it's a combination of the dreary days we've mostly had, and it's quite cool. I'll cull about 75% of the germinated seeds, and repot the strongest plants into their first proper pots.

Soldato
well I have moved a few of the pots to the greenhouse
so far so good, just worried they might suffer if it gets frosty again
does anyone else leave them in their green house?

Soldato
I've repotted my chillies from the seedling trays into their first individual pots. They were still very small with only 2 sets of leaves, but were starting to block each other for light. I've now got:

Bulgarian carrot x6
Ring of fire x6
Scotch bonnet x3

Soldato
I sowed my chilis in my propagator using some of my mum's Compost. The compost always smelt very Composty (if you know what I mean) so I wasn't mad on having it in the house but needs must.

Anyway the seeds have been sown for about 12 days now, and first germination, hurrah. However the funky smell is even worse, and there's bits of mold around. The woooden label stakes I have in there are covered.

On googling, lots of places say mold on seedlings is time to discard, but others that mold in Compost is completely normal as you have a myriad of stuff in there.

I guess the thing to do to slow mold growth is the opposite of what my chilis want I.e. Both mold and seedlings want it warm and moist!

So two questions

1. Is this an issue to worry about? Both for the seedlings themselves, and having mold thriving in my house..

2. What if anything can I do to stop the mold growth?

Soldato
Im
I sowed my chilis in my propagator using some of my mum's Compost. The compost always smelt very Composty (if you know what I mean) so I wasn't mad on having it in the house but needs must.

Anyway the seeds have been sown for about 12 days now, and first germination, hurrah. However the funky smell is even worse, and there's bits of mold around. The woooden label stakes I have in there are covered.

On googling, lots of places say mold on seedlings is time to discard, but others that mold in Compost is completely normal as you have a myriad of stuff in there.

I guess the thing to do to slow mold growth is the opposite of what my chilis want I.e. Both mold and seedlings want it warm and moist!

So two questions

1. Is this an issue to worry about? Both for the seedlings themselves, and having mold thriving in my house..

2. What if anything can I do to stop the mold growth?

I'm no expert, but tbh if I had spare seeds I'd be inclined to start again with new seedling soil after giving the pots and trays a good clean.

If you've no seeds left, I'd get the seedlings out of the propagator asap and pot them on into fresh compost.

I hope this mold issue doesn't ruin things.

Caporegime
In my experience the better brand compost you buy the more likelihood of getting weird fuzzy mould on top around any dead material.
it seems to disappear in a day or two.

mine were without a propagator just sitting in the window.

Cheap compost like wilkos own brand with broken glass and bits of tree branches inside seems to never go mouldy, so I'm assuming it's a sign of healthy compost.

Soldato
Yeah I've had no mold issues since giving it a good airing the day after I posted that. It still smells a bit funky, but yeah I that's just compost.

In other news the propagator was knocked off the windowsill involving a near-entire detraying... if that makes sense.

At that point I had about 3 visible seedlings, so I shoved it all back in with those 3 nicely repositioned, and the rest is a hope for the best job. My house is perpetually cold, so I think 8 visible seedlings out of the 25 I planted is not a horrendous result.

Soldato
I repotted my chillies last week and they're doing well, but all of a sudden the Bulgarian carrots have started budding already! I read they they are very fast from seed to fruit, but the plants themselves are still only about 4 inches tall. I intended cutting the tops off again to make them bushier, but I think that I'm going to have to abandon that Idea. The plan is to start putting them outside during the day on warm days and back in the windowsill overnight, and when overnight outside temperatures are warm enough, repot them into their final pots and leave them on the patio

Back
Top Bottom