2021 Season Chilli Growing

Caporegime
Well I appear to have had a full crop failure. Non of my Scorpions or Reapers have sprouted after a month.

Used the same propagator, new soil and the same water, only thing different was trying to use 3 year old seeds. They'd been kept in the dark but must've gone bad :(

Soldato
Usually hot's(C. chinense) seeds do take longer to germinate than non hot chillis, but usually within a month, but can take longer.

Scorpion/Reapers seedlings should start to emerge after about 7 to 21 days but could take as long as 6 weeks

Soldato
Well I appear to have had a full crop failure. Non of my Scorpions or Reapers have sprouted after a month.

Used the same propagator, new soil and the same water, only thing different was trying to use 3 year old seeds. They'd been kept in the dark but must've gone bad :(
You might be right but before throwing them out try keeping the heat on them and see if anything happens in March when there is more daylight. We had some one year that took a while to get going and then there was no stopping them. Kept them on the kitchen window sill

Soldato
Planted mine a week ago. Just 9 plants this year, had far too many last year.

3x Orange Habanero
3x Kung Pao
3x Explosive Ember.

Sat by the radiator at the mo until the weather warms up.

Soldato
I've just moved all mine to a sunny window sill and have given them a good water in the hope that it wakes the plants back up following a dormant winter where they were kept in a cool back bedroom away from direct sun.

One thing I was wondering though was if I should be repotting them first to give them the best chance of springing back to life or just wait and see which ones start to grow again then repot them when I know they are growing again?

Soldato
Anyone use grow lights for their chilli's? I've got the tray near the radiator in my study atm, but it's north-facing. I've actually got the space to grow a few in there if I put some lights on em and they'll be nice and warm.

Associate
Anyone use grow lights for their chilli's? I've got the tray near the radiator in my study atm, but it's north-facing. I've actually got the space to grow a few in there if I put some lights on em and they'll be nice and warm.
I do, I've hung a couple of led grow lights from the ceiling above the shelves I my office room at home. The top shelves have big plant trays on them and heat mats underneath as the minimum temperatures aren't great in the room. I get good results from seed, very high germination rates etc. Plus the young plants stay nice and compact and don't get leggy like they used to when I was just window growing.

Soldato
I do, I've hung a couple of led grow lights from the ceiling above the shelves I my office room at home. The top shelves have big plant trays on them and heat mats underneath as the minimum temperatures aren't great in the room. I get good results from seed, very high germination rates etc. Plus the young plants stay nice and compact and don't get leggy like they used to when I was just window growing.
Just got my grow lights delivered and setup. Will be interesting to see how they go. Might just keep the chillis in my office if they grow ok, the kitchen window sill gets aphid infestations pretty regularly because the window's open with the breeze blowing through.

Associate
Yes I've had that problem growing stuff in the kitchen as it's close to open windows and doors. My tip with the grow lights is to not dial them up too high to quick, I ruined last year's plants with some new LED panels that were way more powerful than my previous lights. The plants looked ok for a while then went into a sort of hibernation from too much light. The LEDs put out so little heat they don't show the same symptoms as they used to with the older lights.

Soldato
I saved some seeds from last year's crop of Ring of Fire and Bulgarian Carrot. There may be some hybrids from cross pollination but time will tell.

I'll sow the seeds into the heated prop on the weekend, I started them in the 2nd week of Feb last year and I think it was a bit too early.

Back
Top Bottom