2024 OLED bonanza take your pick from dozens of new monitors

Associate
Not sure if anyone has seen this so far but it looks like Hardware Unboxed / Monitors Unboxed are trying to see how long it's going to take to cause burn in. I know RTINGS have their test running but it's good to see more tests!

Associate
Are there any of these 32" 240hz models/manufactures to avoid atm?
I'd wait several months for some user feedback regards firmware bugs etc. From looking on Reddit, for example, there are some early adopters who are running into technical issues with the Asus PG32UCDM. My gut feeling is this generation of QD-OLEDs will have some teething issues ; despite using 3rd gen OLED displays this tech is new territory for the likes of Asus, MSI etc. I was considering picking one of these up but decided to go with the more "mature" tech of the LG C3 OLED which doesn't really have any quirks to combat.

Associate
I'd wait several months for some user feedback regards firmware bugs etc. From looking on Reddit, for example, there are some early adopters who are running into technical issues with the Asus PG32UCDM. My gut feeling is this generation of QD-OLEDs will have some teething issues ; despite using 3rd gen OLED displays this tech is new territory for the likes of Asus, MSI etc. I was considering picking one of these up but decided to go with the more "mature" tech of the LG C3 OLED which doesn't really have any quirks to combat.
Yeah that sounds like the sensible thing to do......but when has this hobby ever been sensible . 42" is the smallest the c3 come in though right?

Associate
Yeah that sounds like the sensible thing to do......but when has this hobby ever been sensible . 42" is the smallest the c3 come in though right?
Yes it is, but the TV panels are brighter than their equivalent monitors for the most part.

So 240hz vs 120hz/144hz is the main factor along with screen size.

I've just made the switch from a 240hz ultrawide and happy with my decision although I wouldn't mind a slightly smaller size than 55" it fits perfectly on my desk and how my room is designed.

I reckon 42-44" is the sweet spot for a larger display for gaming at 16:9 anyway.

Associate
Lol, yeah I know ... common sense be damned. But I think the OLED monitor scene is going to explode over the next 12 months with a plethora of new models that fulfill various needs. Unless one of these models perfectly fits your needs right now ... I'd wait a bit longer. And yes, 42" is the minimum size for the LG C3 OLED.

Last edited:
Associate
Whenever LG is covering burn-in it is quite vocal about it(TV g-series), so I would assume if its not advertised, then its not covered. Buy Alienware if you are worried about burn in.

Last edited:
Associate
Sorted out my return for the AW2725DF. I initially had a replacement but as expected I struggled with the same issues (pretty aggressive eye strain leading to headaches) so ended up returning everything and Dell's service/warranty is fantastic so you just get your refund as soon as the monitor arrives back with them.

I did, however, get to use one of the LG OLED's from last year (the 27GR95QE) this weekend and didn't struggle with any headaches or eye strain at all. A friend of mine has just upgraded his monitors (and he went with the AW32 OLED) and we were round theirs on the Saturday and he offered to let me borrow it for a few days. I dropped it back this morning (as he plans on still keeping it) but I was pleasantly surprised how much the WOLED didn't give me any of the issues that the QD-OLED did.

I've done a little reading this morning and it could be a combination of the way blue light works with the QD-OLED as well as the matte vs. glossy finish - as well as Dell running the AW with a pretty aggressive amount of blue light that will impact certain people.

I'm now tempted to either order the 27GR95QE (as the newer GS model isn't in the UK yet for some reason?) or wait the 480hz model later this year. I have a regular IPS monitor that I'll be using to WFH so will just rotate out my main display depending on gaming/working but it's definitely good to know I haven't got to completely rule out OLEDs.

Associate
I know it's not easy but I'd wait if possible, that sounds like it's going to be a very very sweet monitor and should last you years!!
Yeah I'm not massively in a rush! I might end up grabbing one of the existing ones if I can find it for a good price used - and then upgrade when the 480hz ones are out later this year (or inevitably next year in the UK...)

Caporegime
Yeah I'm not massively in a rush! I might end up grabbing one of the existing ones if I can find it for a good price used - and then upgrade when the 480hz ones are out later this year (or inevitably next year in the UK...)
Tbf that's a solid plan, now the QD's are out their are a few bargains about. Try for £400-450 ish.

Associate
I'm probably going to go with the Gigabyte FO32U2P 32" 4K OLED. I have my dual system build in my V3000+ case, and from what I've read the KVM functionality on Gigabyte monitors is much better than the other brands.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm probably going to go with the Gigabyte FO32U2P 32" 4K OLED. I have my dual system build in my V3000+ case, and from what I've read the KVM functionality on Gigabyte monitors is much better than the other brands.
I'm thinking the same. Is there any idea of a UK release date?

Associate
I made a few posts in the Alienware OLED thread where I mentioned eye strain/headaches from the 1440p 360hz AW OLED monitor - and ended up getting a replacement and then eventually returning it for a refund. In fairness to Dell, their service is brilliant and everything about the entire exchange was exactly how you'd want it to be. Outside of the headaches/eye strain, the monitor was really great so it was a shame to have to return it.

My concern was that it was an OLED thing and I'd be struggling with all of them - but we have an OLED TV at home and my phone has an OLED display so I was a little sceptical that it would be all OLEDs.

I picked up a used LG 27GR95QE this week after having a go with a friends one over the weekend and it's been great. Zero eye strain and headaches from some relatively long sessions using it - and even using it for a little bit of work at times too. The text clarity is definitely nowhere near what I'd like it to be - it's actually fine in certain appliations/browsers but native Windows is a bit shoddy. It's not going to be used for work, I have an IPS monitor for that, but it's nice to know that within the applications I use it's no issue.

I'm going to put it down to the additional blue light levels that comes with a QD-OLED panel that was causing my eye strain/headache issues. I'm sure I'm in the minority but it was good to see other people posting similar things across Blur Busters, the OLED subreddits etc. where they'd experienced similar levels of eye strain.

I'll stick with this LG 1440p 240hz OLED for now - then at some stage when the 480hz 1440p (or maybe the 4k 240/480hz) are released with the updated sub-pixel layout I'll end up picking one of these up.

Outside of the usual 'inky blacks / amazing colours' that are the usual benefits to OLED, honestly, it's the absolute clarity in motion that does it for me. I play a fair amount of fast/chaotic FPS games and it just feels so clear in motion all of the time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom