• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

2060 Super or RX 5700 XT

Associate
Hey!

I'm looking at upgrading my 1060 6gb to one of these two and wondered if there's any thoughts out there on what is the best to get.

Current pros I can see from both of them:

2060 Super: Get Call of Duty included in the price, a game that I will be buying anyway)
RX 5700 XT: FreeSync Capability for my monitor.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what might be my best bet? I'd be grateful for any suggestions!

Thanks!

Associate
OP
Thanks all - that's helped a lot! Seems pretty one sided! I'll take a look at the 5700 XT in more depth, any aftermarket ones you'd suggest?

In terms of PSU, I've got a Seasonic Focus Plus 550W 80 Plus Gold Modular

Associate
OP
2 year warranty is a sticking point for some people. I think the Sapphire Pulse is only £10 more than the PC Red Dragon.

But then you can save a good chunk o cash getting a reference card and tune it with a proper fan curve and undervolting.

Reference card, same as all other reference cards, no difference, just buy the cheapest one. :)

Cheers both, I'll take a look.
So just to confirm, will 550W be okay for the card? Seasonic Focus Plus 550W 80 Plus Gold Modular, only a year old

Associate
OP
Brilliant thank you :)
Is this still the case if I overclock my CPU? I wouldn't need a new PSU?

I'm really not knowledgeable on voltages haha my apologies!

Associate
OP
@Panos Okay I've received my 5700XT! Happy with it so far, although I had some issues with games crashing (BFV mainly), which I believe was down to a driver issue - I think I've fixed that now..

How would I go about undervolting/underclocking this card? It won't have any negative impacts on FPS will it? I believe you said it actually increased it, which blows my mind :D

Associate
OP
Hey,

Thank you, I'll try this when I get home later! Should I benchmark some games before and after to judge the results and whether or not it's improved?

Associate
OP
@Panos , Okay I've done the setting you've suggested. Except on 'Max' where i couldn't choose 1044mV, and had to do 1045mV.

Is there a way of testing it's stability?

Associate
OP
@Panos Those settings didn't work. I keep bsod-ing.

Even without those manual settings this seems to be very dodgy on my system, it doesn't remember my second display settings and keeps reverting back to 640x480 resolution. Programmes keep stopping responding too which hasn't happened previously. Battlefield 5 doesn't open at all now which is really annoying. I don't know what's going wrong

Associate
OP
I use 1 monitor only getting over 9000 on TimeSpy and is thoroughly tested 2 1/2 months now. I have the AE which is better binned chip. Raise the power to 1.1mv and see how it goes from there by lowering it
Leave at first the VRAM at default speed to eliminate any errors from that.

I may have found the issue. It seems I was using an experimental driver rather than the recommended. I'm going to see if there's any further issues tomorrow then will try again with the undervolting to the method you said.
Is that raising to 1.1mV at 'Max'?

Thanks!

Associate
OP
Perfect, thank you! I've set it up how you have suggested, not changing the 'med' information, only the max. Let's see if it works this time with this correct driver :D

Didn't know TimeSpy was a paid software, so I'll try and find a free one somewhere

Associate
OP
Okay, done a few Time Spy tests. Downloaded the basic version for free.

Standard settings got a graphics score of: 8658
"1950Mhz, 1044mv 0% PL stock fan speed is what I use with 890Mhz vram" got a score of: 8902 And a few degrees cooler too.
"2020mhz 1134mv" Got a score of 8700 ish.

When playing Ghost Recon Breakpoint with your settings above though, I had some occasions where there were severe drops in FPS, down to 28 in some cases, so not sure what's going on there
Would you say yours is the best option in your list or are any of the others best to push for?

Appreciate all your guidance in this so far, as always :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom