• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

2080ti crashing at hotspot temp of 86C

Associate
Hi folks, I'm after a bit of advice, please.

I have a 2080ti in my system with a Ryzen 3700X. It's watercooled (CPU & GPU) with 2x 360 rads. Water temp is 33-35C, with CPU temp never getting higher than 65C, after a long time under load.

I'm using Aida64 for monitoring, so I have a good amount of information about my system. What I've discovered is that if my GPU runs at around 150-200W, the system can run basically forever. And some games (e.g. Elite Dangerous) never stress the card harder than that.

However, other games (e.g. Cyberpunk) will see the card pushing 250-250W. At this higher power consumption I see an increasing gap between the GPU Diode Temp and the GPU Hotspot temp. The diode stays at around 50C but the hotspot climbs and climbs until the card crashes at around 86C, necessitating a hard reset.

I've done a little bit of reading about this, and it looks like I can cure this by re-pasting and re-seating my block. It's about 18 months since I last did that.

Do you agree with that advice? Or do you think I'm wasting my time?

Is my observation about it being power-related a red herring? Aside from using Afterburner to reduce the power limit, what changes would allow me to restrain the Hotspot temp without losing too much performance?

Associate
Do you agree with that advice?
Yes, looks like it's uneven. Also I saw a similar post where someone said the screws included with their mounting backplate were too long. They used the screws from the original backplate and the temps went down. So maybe double check that at the same time.

Associate
I've done a little bit of reading about this, and it looks like I can cure this by re-pasting and re-seating my block. It's about 18 months since I last did that.

Do you agree with that advice? Or do you think I'm wasting my time?

Wide variance between hotspot and general core temperature is uneven mounting. You should also make sure that any thermal pads are not causing the block to be held off the die (i.e. thermal pads which are too thick are bad).

Back
Top Bottom