24" or 27" ???

Soldato
Hi there,

Im stuck for choice really, dunno whether to go for the Dell 2707 instead of the 2407? Anyone had experience with both? Im more inclined towards 24 due mainly to cost, but it also uses the same res, and it looks a lot better! But i dont want to get it and then want bigger straight away like i did with my 20 inch lol.

Is the 2407 big enough you think? I dont have great deal of deskspace but i will be using my ps3 on it!! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh please help!

Thanks,

Nanoman.

Caporegime
Ive not had a 27" monitor, but from what Ive read the 2707 is a bit of a dud - same resolution as the 2407 which means it has bigger pixels overall so wont be as sharp as the 2407.

IF you only using it for consoles consider a TrueHD tv - though I doubt youll find one of those smaller than 37" but probably worth it overall (at a guess)

ps3ud0 :cool:

Associate
I find the 2407 to be a great size monitor. I've used a 3007 before and they just seem a bit 'overkill' for me. I use my 2407 for my Xbox360 and it's great for that too.

SAJ

SAJ

Associate
I'm using a 2707 as we speak (as it were) and its ****** marvelous! The increased pixel pitch (size) isn't an issue, in fact its a plus in my opinion as I dont have to fiddle around to re-size text in explorer.
In general usage its not "soft" at all, you get a softening of the display when you downscale the resolution but as you can imagine its actually quite useful in that regard.
The fact that its the same resolution as the 2407 is a plus to me as it means I wont have to break the bank to display games at more than a slideshow(not that I could after splashing out on this monster).

However, I've not used a 2407 so I cant say that the extra 3 inches is worth the extra money, but now I've had a taste wild horses couldn't sit me down in front of anything smaller.
Build quality is excellent, aluminium front and back with a black glass foot, swivel tilt, cable tidy and hight adjust.

Perfection, only the price gives me pause for recommendation.

Soldato
I've noticed 27" dell reviews have just started appearing now but none of them from a gaming prospective. Have you played any games? particually faster moving games on it? hows the ghosting? input lag? etc

24" is surely better value for money but i can't help thinking the 27" would look a lot bigger and as this guy says, a lot less messing about with dpi's to get the txt more readable.

SAJ

SAJ

Associate
I cant give you a properly quantified answer to that I'm afraid. My only previous experience with tft's was my old 25ms 19" philips monitor so the 2707 was a huge step up.
I can say that there isnt any smearing on fast moving fps games, but ghosting is bit harder to qualify.

Lets say Im in a coridor with a light source in it.
If I move the view around rapidly and track the light rather than look where Im going, then yes , I would say I can see some ghosting -if ghosting means faint after images- but you have to look for it.
I would guess that both the 2407 and the 2707 will be the same in this regard, but Im going by specifications, not experience.
I would reckon that the 24/27's arent going to be the very best for gaming , but having said that , I have to say that I started HL2 and Farcry again just to test it out and ended up playing right the way through both with a big grin on my face. They just looked fantastic, colour and contrast were excellent and really made a difference with those titles. GTA3 (and SA) suffered quite a bit though, they just looked like arse. but that could be a lot to do with no/bad widescreen support and low polycounts.

The bottom line is; for gaming, Im very happy with this monitor.
Given the price tag for the large Dells though,I would look for more reviews (I did) and less anonymous tech-happy geeks. (myself included :D )

Associate
I've had both in the last month, and much prefer the 2707!!

Speak nicely to Dell and get yourself a good price - you won't regret it! :D

Associate
Also Viewsonic have released the 28 VX2835wm model in usa. this is a 28 inch model priced at 660 US dollars roughly.

Can't wait till they release it in the UK

Associate
Azrael1 said:
Also Viewsonic have released the 28 VX2835wm model in usa. this is a 28 inch model priced at 660 US dollars roughly.

Can't wait till they release it in the UK
TN film on a monitor that size gives me the creeps.

Associate
Brook said:
I've had both in the last month, and much prefer the 2707!!

Speak nicely to Dell and get yourself a good price - you won't regret it! :D

brook any idea on tips for calling dell for a discount.

I wouldnt mind the 27 lcd. I can get a cheap refurb one but 30 days warranty is kinda bad.

Associate
Azrael1 said:
brook any idea on tips for calling dell for a discount.

I wouldnt mind the 27 lcd. I can get a cheap refurb one but 30 days warranty is kinda bad.

I'd first ring up and 'enquire' about the product - eg, ask if it takes componant connections for a dvd player, they'll automatically try to sell you one!

Just say you were only interested in it but if they have any special deals you will consider buying. They'll offer you a discounted price for sure :) just haggle it from there.

I reckon you can get it at least £100 cheaper than anywhere online, with a 5 year warranty :D

I won't say the exact price I got mine for as it might not be realistic for everyone else - they prob offered it me that price as I was returning the 24" model as I couldn't get used to the small text. Good luck!

Man of Honour
I'd get the 27". And always haggle. They even phone you back to carry on haggling if you say no. Or at least they did with me :eek:

Soldato
Yes, explain more, purleeze? :D

I'm not really a very confident person on the phone, would I be better asking someone better at it to do it for me? :o

Associate
Tute said:
Yes, explain more, purleeze? :D

I'm not really a very confident person on the phone, would I be better asking someone better at it to do it for me? :o

Yeah I'm the same, not all that confident, hope i get a good price or i might just get a refurb one and use my house insurance if it goes wrong.

Soldato
OP
Well went with the 2407 in the end for £398 delivered new with 3yr warranty. It arrived today and im just glad i went down the 24" route! Its seriously hooooooooooge! It will probably get smaller with time but the HC ones are starting to appear now so just another excuse to upgrade again!

Coming from 20ws to 24 is :eek:

Oh and Dell should really think about HDMI ports, would be such a bonus!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom