• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

2500k @4.8ghz will definitely bottleneck a 1080 ti ?

Soldato
Thats a nice 3770K. Share the manufacturing details.

It's a Costa chip. The batch number is 3218C109. I've got it memorised now lol. It does 5GHz with 1.28v or 5.1GHz with 1.35v.

If you do a search just on the batch number you should find my previous posts with screenshots.

Very nice what board you running?

Cheers I'm running it on a ASUS V Gene board.

Soldato
Might be worth it if a, it's from a good batch and b, you already have fast memory and a motherboard capable of 2400Mhz with tight timings.

Soldato
Most of the 2700k's turned out to be good clockers. I had one of the OEM ones from the store here and that did 4.8GHz with 1.368v. I would say chances are finding a better clocking 2700k will be easier than a 3770k.

The 18C batch of 3770k's are good. There was a guy on another forum with a 18C 3770k. He had never tried overclocking so I sent him a message and got him to try. He reached 5GHz on his too. If you spot one for sale and have a z68/z77 board don't hang around, grab it :)

From what I remember 8 Pack also suggested the week 30C batch too.

Soldato
It's why I went for a Ryzen build instead of buying old tech.

That ryzen build won't perform as well as my 6700k for my main pc use, playing games ;)

Plus there are all the bugs and motherboard issues with ryzen at the moment.

I actually bought my 6700k end of last year before ryzen came out and i have no buyers remorse.

Ryzen is more of a workstation cpu than a gaming cpu.

I'm happy with my choice :)

Associate
That ryzen build won't perform as well as my 6700k for my main pc use, playing games ;)

Plus there are all the bugs and motherboard issues with ryzen at the moment.

I actually bought my 6700k end of last year before ryzen came out and i have no buyers remorse.

Ryzen is more of a workstation cpu than a gaming cpu.

I'm happy with my choice :)
That's fair enough. If I had a 6700k I wouldn't have purchased Ryzen either. For me, it was either purchase a HT SB/IB cpu and drop in to my old set-up or go for something new after 6 years. I don't have a 144Hz monitor and I game at widescreen 1400p so Ryzen's IPC being a few % lower than Kaby Lake isn't an issue. Plus, I'm hopeful that when newer games make use of more than 4 cores I will be sitting pretty.

Soldato
That's fair enough. If I had a 6700k I wouldn't have purchased Ryzen either. For me, it was either purchase a HT SB/IB cpu and drop in to my old set-up or go for something new after 6 years. I don't have a 144Hz monitor and I game at widescreen 1400p so Ryzen's IPC being a few % lower than Kaby Lake isn't an issue. Plus, I'm hopeful that when newer games make use of more than 4 cores I will be sitting pretty.

Probably in the long term, ryzen will pull ahead eventually. But I'm not convinced 8 cores will be fully utilised in gaming for quite some time yet.

The biggest issue for ryzen and gaming is the clock speed. It seems to get much over 3.8ghz, you need to really crank the voltage and even then i hear lots of stability issues.

It's a nice cpu for sure and it's great to see amd back in the game, but for the moment it's not the ideal gaming chip.

Soldato
Yes. I've just been watching loads of videos on You Tube and it's clear to see that the i5's are bottlenecks for the top tier cards.

Just have a look on YouTube.

A 3770k seems to be OK* but it's still not ideal, being 5 years old.

Soldato
I managed to get my 2500k stable on air with max temps at 84... @5.2ghz

I'm thinking I should be ok against bottleneck now?
That's an epic clock if it's really stable, mine can do 4.9GHz stable in any benchmark/games but took 1.4v, I ran mine at 4.8GHz day to day at 1.33v.

My previous 2500K would not go over 4.6GHz with 1.33v no matter how many volts I pumped through it.
Well going to test and see once my 1080 ti is here :)
Will be amusing seeing how much it beats other people who stuck with a 1070 running Kabylake for around the same cost lol.

Associate
I went from a 2500k @4.2 to a 7700k......... Battlefield 1 cpu load was constantly at 100 percent on the 2500k and my 1070 never used anymore than 80 percent

This as at 1440p BTW

7700k @ stock.. everything changed my CPU load is in its 50s and GPU 99 percent

Based on that for my old system it does seem like the 2500k was a massive bottleneck
But maybe the fact my old mobo was only pci-e 2.0 added to the issue but I doubt it.

Back
Top Bottom