27 or 32 inch IPS monitor for professional use

Associate
Hi all,

Bit different than the gaming PC I built last year, but thought i'd ask you guys here..

I use a Macbook Pro 2023 M2 (14 inch) with Liquid Retina XDR display, and am looking to buy an external monitor to use whilst at work.

Whilst 70% of my day is spent on Excel, Outlook and Word, I do use Canva, Adobe Express & Youtube as well from time to time.

The last monitor a previous employer purchased for me was really noticeably poor in comparison to the laptop's own display, specifically when word processing (text blurry) which I would expect to a certain extent, but I'm looking to mitigate that as much as possible this time around.

I've spent the last 2 hours researching and watching reviews, but there's so much conflicting information that I thought I'd better ask what people's opinions were..

I've seen a couple of models that look half-decent (Iiyama Red Eagle G-Master GB3271QSU-B1 32" / Dell U2722D UltraSharp 27" QHD / ASUS ProArt Display PA279CV) but would welcome anyone's advice on this.

Thanks

Soldato
I can't recommend specific models but I would say you would be better sticking to the smaller physical size (27" vs 32") for that same 1440p resolution.

Any external monitor inside a reasonable price range is not going to match the MacBook's for quality anyway but the bigger physical size at that same resolution will be a bit less sharp.

Associate
OP
I can't recommend specific models but I would say you would be better sticking to the smaller physical size (27" vs 32") for that same 1440p resolution.

Any external monitor inside a reasonable price range is not going to match the MacBook's for quality anyway but the bigger physical size at that same resolution will be a bit less sharp.
Good to know Slogan - thanks for your reply!

Soldato
Good to know Slogan - thanks for your reply!

No problem. I personally tend to stick to Dell monitors as I've had the most joy with those. I currently have 3 x Dell 2721DGF monitors and have been very happy with them. I bought a Dell G2724D (a 2721DGF successor, of sorts...) in the latest Black Friday sales, which was intended to be my third monitor but it didn't exactly match the colour profile of my other two 2721DGFs, so I returned it and bought another used 2721DGF.

My point being is that the G2724D monitor might be worth throwing in to the mix as well for consideration. It is more gaming focused and not as professional as the UltraSharp you mentioned but it can be significantly cheaper during promotional periods. I admittedly don't do any colour sensitive work like you may be doing in Adobe Express but I certainly wasn't unhappy with the colour representation, compared to some of the poorer panels I've seen in budget to mid-range laptops.

Associate
I have 27," dell infinity edge monitors, can't remember the model, but they replaced my older 27" dell during lockdown.
They were good to use( spreadsheet, gaming and watching movies, and yes sometimes all at the same time), I have had 27 dell duel and truel screen monitors since 2006 but now it's time to upgrade to bigger and simpler screens. During 2006 onwards dells were the best monitors.
Now it seems others have caught up with dell. I still think dell wins because of there replacement which I used a few times, l never had any issues.

Now thinking about 38 or greater, to replace them, the only drawback I don't think you can flip a 38 to 49 " screen like I can with my dells. But then again I hate the gaps between the monitors.

Last edited:
Soldato
The Iiyama Red Eagle G-Master GB3271QSU-B1 32" is a gaming monitor with a 165Hz refresh rate. You don't need to pay for so high a refresh rate if you're not gaming.

I've got a 32" Iiyama VA panel. Spreadsheets are sharp on it. The extra size is better for design work.

Brands I would consider are LG and Dell. My Iiyama is good for its price. It did have an initial problem with recognising power modes on my laptop but that sorted itself out.

Soldato
I'm going to 'sort' of disagree on that point about not needing the higher refresh rate on a none-gaming system, sort of. You don't 'need' it, that's true and you don't 'need' it on a gaming system either really, but it's nice to have and it does make the whole system feel more responsive and nicer to interact with, including Windows and productivity programs, when I take my work laptop into the office and use thre 60Hz monitors on my desk there, it feels like working through treacle compared to the same laptop at home on a 165Hz 'gaming' monitor. Just food for thought. You can get many monitors that are not really gamified at all now that are high refresh or perhaps we should start calling 144/165Hz monitors medium refresh now and 60-75Hz low.

For work my preference is actually an Ultrawide, but I work in IT and that format works well for the way I use the system, however if I was mostly working in a single application, I might prefer a 32" 4K display instead.

Last edited:
Associate
just jumping on this thread as i'm also in the market for a new work monitor.. Specifically a 27in one and am considering between Dell Ultrasharp and the Asus ProArt one, mainly because of the clarity of picture and the quality of the stand. Shame i can't find either on OCUK.

Back
Top Bottom