• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

2700k upgrade , out the loop

Soldato
Been out the loop of hardware news / specs for a very long time now and looking to upgrade my system but no idea where to start. Also looking like AMD have come a long way since the sandy/ivy days but again I know absolutely nothing on them :) any help appreciated

Soldato
Conservative and want to save money?

3600/3600x + B450 mobo + 3600Mhz ram

or

Want to spend a little more and go 8 cores?

3700x + X570 mobo (I'd recommend the X570 Aorus Elite or the Asus TUF) + 3600MHz ram

---

Bear in mind B550 mobos are being rumoured and will be due at some point in the coming months.

Main benefit might be PCIe 4 support which the B450 mobos don't have.

Associate
Something wrong with your Sandy? I'd say wait for the next new cpus. Unless you have a RTX 2080 or something faster to feed. For anything slower, just oc your cpu to at least 4.5GHz.

Soldato
I upgraded from 2600k to 9900k even though I know it's end of line. I won't change the build for another 5-7 years now and I'll end up buying a new system.

Associate
In the same boat with my Sandy 2700K.

Ideally I'd like to only upgrade the GPU, but I know the CPU will be a bottleneck now.

I'm going to wait for the next round of AMD GPU and CPU's and then probably have to upgrade the lot.

Soldato
OP
nothing wrong as such with my 2700k , it's oc'd to 4.8ghz and is water cooled so generally not had any issues that said it feels like it's becoming the right time to upgrade. Defo need a new GPU and perhaps that's all I need but another system to last me 8+ years would be nice

Price wise I was hoping to spend £1k (ideally less) on a new rig (cpu, mobo, ram, gpu, case, SSD/HDDs and psu)

Associate
nothing wrong as such with my 2700k , it's oc'd to 4.8ghz and is water cooled so generally not had any issues that said it feels like it's becoming the right time to upgrade. Defo need a new GPU and perhaps that's all I need but another system to last me 8+ years would be nice

Price wise I was hoping to spend £1k (ideally less) on a new rig (cpu, mobo, ram, gpu, case, SSD/HDDs and psu)

I'm still using this 2700K system paired with a GTX 1060. I have to disconnect from lan, tho, cos i handle sensitive data with the work i do. Check out how it compared to my R5 3600 system with the sandy paired with 2 R9 290s.

https://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/13338335/fs/20899806

If you truly sure that you'll keep the new system that long, then i recommend a minimum of 8-core CPU with SMT or HT (this is the reason our sandy lasted this long) and a graphics card with at least 8 GB VRAM. And an M2 Drive.

Associate

del

Soldato
If you dont want to upgrade the CPU in the future then the first build will be better but if you dont mind upgrading the CPU in a year or two then the second option is very good.
My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £1,033.58 (includes shipping: £11.70)

Total: £1,001.58 (includes shipping: £11.70)

A more budget orientated option.

Total: £817.58 (includes shipping: £11.70)

Last edited:
Soldato
I too am returning for a build potentially, currently on an Asus X99-S board, 16GB DDR4 with and Intel i7 5820k with a Noctua NH-U12P (which I'd retain)

Not gaming these days, but maybe tempted to and I was looking at the AMD options. The intel kit above was probably going to be going to my folks, although factory outlet from the likes of Dell etc is often a good place to pick up office machines.

Time to start reading up and researching.

Did an i3 build recently for pfsense, which could be an option for my parents with the addition of Windows 10 etc.

TJM

TJM

Associate
A 2700K at 4.8GHz is still a hefty CPU. What do you want to do with your system that it can't do (or do to your satisfaction)? I know this is OCUK and everyone has the upgrade bug at all times, but I'd hold out until the next generation of CPUs and Nvidia GPUs are released later this year.

Associate
I'm in the same boat as you. Have a 3770k that I need to upgrade as I want to move to Mini-ITX for travelling purposes and I can't get an ITX board for 3770k.

We're in a ****** situation since CPUs were supposed to come out soon.

Soldato

Im hoping my system will last 5+years. Ive had it just under 2years so far.(system in sig)

itx build will be quite fun if you would like a "small" upgrade from your current system

I have a ATX motherboard in a small case. I love small cases, dont see the point on having unused space in a case as it just takes up more desk space.
9mE7oyC.jpg

Cnfa2Ie.jpg

Last edited:
Permabanned
Itx is the way forward in my opinion. Don't think i could ever go back to a full sized tower now. Especially now the performance we managed from such tiny system. The first one is always tricky then it becomes pure fun.

Associate
I'm still using my 2500k @4.5 with a !080 GPU, 16gb of Ram and I can still run modern games on high and ultra setting e,g, Red dead Redemption, runs smooth enough for me, will want to upgrade soon though for the new Microsoft Flight Sim which I imagine I will struggle with

C64

C64

Soldato
I'm still using my 2500k @4.5 with a !080 GPU, 16gb of Ram and I can still run modern games on high and ultra setting e,g, Red dead Redemption, runs smooth enough for me, will want to upgrade soon though for the new Microsoft Flight Sim which I imagine I will struggle with
same here lol 2500k 16gb ram and rx470 have no issues @1080p 60hz i see the new 8 core boards have fans back on them I found that a bit weird reminds me of the old days

Back
Top Bottom