2700X and 4 DIMMS- help!

Associate
Hi folks,

Ran into an annoying problem a few days ago...

Since I built this rig (see sig below), I've had my 8Pack RAM running at 3200MHz (2x8GB) without much issue since the BIOS updates sorted the initial hiccups.
Just before last Christmas, I lobbed in another 2x8 of the same, bumped the RAM voltage a bit to account for the extra slots, and for five months, everything has been good.

A couple of days ago I started getting BSODs- ntfs.sys, tcpip.sys, irq not less or equal... all those classic RAM-related codes.

Got busy with Memtest... an awful lot of red!

I can use either set of DIMMS in A2+B2, at Ryzen calculator Fast timings, without errors, but as soon as I try and populate all sockets, it's red ink all over the shop, regardless of voltage or any tweaking.
I can't get four sticks stable even at regular DOCP, let alone any faster. If I have to drop it to 2400 to get stable- not something I've bothered to test as yet- then I'd sooner not bother and just stick with 16GB.

Had to step down to 16GB for now. Anyone got an idea why?
Has my IMC let go, or has the board lost a channel somehow?

It's not the end of the world, but it's annoying that it's been fine for months and has suddenly now packed up. 16GB is enough for me, but that's not the point... :D

Soldato
I'd say the memory controller on the cpu cant handle 4 sticks at 3200mhz, try 2 sticks and reset the memory to 2133mhz and exit, turn off and install the other 2 sticks, boot up into the bios and enable docp, but under ram speed set a max of 2933mhz and see if the pc boots. If it does then 2933mhz is the max speed with all 4 dim's installed likely the memory controller on the cpu isn't strong enough to handle 4 dims at 3200mhz

Associate
OP
I'd say the memory controller on the cpu cant handle 4 sticks at 3200mhz, try 2 sticks and reset the memory to 2133mhz and exit, turn off and install the other 2 sticks, boot up into the bios and enable docp, but under ram speed set a max of 2933mhz and see if the pc boots. If it does then 2933mhz is the max speed with all 4 dim's installed likely the memory controller on the cpu isn't strong enough to handle 4 dims at 3200mhz

Kinda thought it'd be something like that. Debating now whether to keep 16GB super-tight, or 32GB at a lower speed- not sure I can really be bothered!
16GB is plenty for what I run, only bought the new set as it was a good price and I thought 'Why not?'...

Man of Honour
Kinda thought it'd be something like that. Debating now whether to keep 16GB super-tight, or 32GB at a lower speed- not sure I can really be bothered!
16GB is plenty for what I run, only bought the new set as it was a good price and I thought 'Why not?'...

Bump the soc voltage vddc/soc for 4 sticks at 3200 on my 2700x (actually my wifes) requires 1.1v on the soc for stability.

Associate
OP
Do you have gear down selected with 4 sticks ?

I've tried Fast and Safe settings from DRAM Calc, fast has GD disabled, safe has it enabled.
Even straight, basic DOCP churns up the errors exactly the same. Need to try Wookiee's plan of a lower speed, but I'm not optimistic.

Might try a stock (2400) run and see what happens.

I'm running Auto SoC volts with a +0.1 offset, so around 1.15-1.2v all told.

Back
Top Bottom