£280m "Circuit of Wales" given go ahead.

Soldato
What gets me is the fact that Silverstone could apparently be purchased for around £50 million and they need (For whatever reason) £280-400+ million to build this!?! Boggles the mind..

Soldato
There is so many issues with this site:
Transport links: heads of the valleys is basically a car park during rush hour, down to one lane by gilwern/Abergavenny. The other side by hirwauen is a single carriage road. So the only way is to come up through Cardiff and up the valley. Big traffic jams around castle coach.
Weather: I work around that area, it's either ******* it down all the time or the cloud is very low. So helicopter /drone camera work is going to be poor.
Gas pipeline: there is a major nationalgrid transmission pipeline in on the course, this pipeline was installed in the 70s and is not a twin wall so the project would have to pay for the pipe to be dug up and sleeved, not cheap.
Accommodation: there is nothing nearby only Merthyr at that's not exactly pretty.
Iron Age/ Bronze Age settlement. There are multiple settlements in the area, not sure how they plan to deal with that.

Instead they could invest in pembrey, it has a airfield lots of accommodation. Pre existing contracts. Only thing it needs doing is traffic links. Roads are single lane from either Llanelli or Carmarthen.

But to be honest this is just a we need a race circuit near Cardiff as Cardiff needs everything

Soldato
Wales' biggest ever scam has had an update and it still looks like the Welsh Government want to push ahead with it. But a report said there were "significant shortcomings" of how public money was spent. :rolleyes: The bit that jumped out to me:
  • Almost half the money went to nine companies or individuals with a close relationship to HoVDC and its shareholders
Also ' However, the audit said £35,000 spent on Mr Carrick's garden in Cambridgeshire and £4,000 sponsoring political events was paid for by Aventa and not by HoVDC or public funds'

I wonder how long this is going to get dragged out. Absolute joke.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-39706499

Soldato
This entire fiasco smacks of cronyism, corruption and complete Welsh assembly incompetence. How many more £millions of public money is going to be trousered before someone see's it for what it is and pulls the plug :mad:

Caporegime
This entire fiasco smacks of cronyism, corruption and complete Welsh assembly incompetence. How many more £millions of public money is going to be trousered before someone see's it for what it is and pulls the plug :mad:

Completely agree. It's what happens when you give buffoons power and money.

Soldato
Just another entry in the catalogue of financial screw-ups the welsh assembly is responsible for, all while the Welsh NHS and education system fall to pieces. I remember voting in the referendum on the Welsh Assembly and thinking it was a total waste of time even then they should close it down and spend the money it wastes on fixing the problems it's caused.

Back
Top Bottom