• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

2900XT Bottleneck Advice

Associate
OP
thx for all the help Dutch Guy.

I knocked the memory down to 166 as you suggested, I then managed to knock the CPU Frequency to 250 and boots into windows fine. 3dmark completes and i have another 300 on the score.

Trying this at 255 and 260 resulted in a message telling me to reset my cpu frequency on boot.
I understand the memory divider now, I was thinking it would be slow with the memory knocked down but this is scaled up with the cpu frequency rise :). Its now running DDR400 @ 208.
Is this my limit now would you say?

CPU appears to be running at around 39C idle and with 3dmark running on load it was around 43C, this is stock cooling. What range of temp should I be staying under, I read one article said 70C but surely that would torch it.

Associate
OP
I ran that Stress Prime program on blend and went down stairs for 15mins, came back and the program had stopped itself and the motherboard was beeping at me :( .
Think I might have to knock it down abit.

Processor currently running at 2500 MHz with default voltages and memory @ 166 running at 208

Associate
OP
I just realised I was running the "Stress Prime 2004 Orthos" which is for dual core cpu, could this be a reason why it stopped? or would this of happened even with the normal "Stress Prime 2004" for single core?

EDIT: also fails with hardware error in single core version.

Do you mean turn up the CPU Voltage?

thanks
Mike

Last edited:
Associate
OP
ok, thx , ill try uppin the voltage later, the cpu is sittin on 43C so id think thats more on the voltage side.

Associate
OP
Hi, I tested upping the volts on the cpu this morning, I upped it +0.025V and booted into windows and ran prime, it yet again failed with hardware error. It can complete source stress test and 3dmark but fails prime.

At the moment im running on 250x10 with memory at 166 running at 208. I havent decreased the HTT multiplier, its still on 5.

I did do a cs:source stress test though and it looks like my 3200 has being holding my x850xt back a lot. I did a test before hand at stock and I got average 71.8fps and I ran at 250 and got 87fps.

thx
Mike

Soldato
Lower the HTT multiplier from 5x to 4x, the difference in speed is 2% at most and 5x can cause problems when overclocked, the HTT speed should be 1000Mhz or lower and yours is 5x250 = 1250Mhz

It looks like 2500Mhz is a bit too high for your CPU, what you can try is running at 2450Mhz and see if that is Prime stable.

Associate
OP
hey,

I lowered the HTT multiplier to 4x and the CPU to 245 so thats running at 980 and my rams runnning at 204. Voltages all default.

I ran Prime again and left it for 6minutes and I had no errors or warnings. On 250 it hardware failed after 1minute.

My only worry was the temperature rose to a maximum of 51C when under full load for 6minutes, is this too high? what range of temps should I be aiming to stay below. Its running at 39/40C idle.

thx
Mike

Associate
OP
sorry to bump.

anyone know if these temps are ok? whats the limit, I read they can go upto 60 odd C with no problems.

thx
Mike

Back
Top Bottom