• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

2900XT FAN

hmm, i use ATITool.

What i am saying is that without ATITOOL open, on desktop the temp is going above 70c.

Should the temp be getting to 70c on the desktop?

Hmm just double checked using GPU Tool and ATiTool together. Deffinite 2D Speed of 506/513 is idling at 70c which would be why the fan speeds up to 38%

Should i be worried about this or is it just normal?

Clock.it/Ghosteh can i have your MSN to chat to you about it?

Last edited:
Its a Sapphire.

No the temps do not get much higher when in 3D mode as the fan ups to 38%.

With AtiTool though whenever you edit anything you are editing the 3D speed and not the 2D speed. So voltage etc is all at 3D. Is that right?

Can you give me some advice as to how best to use AtiTool? What settings do you actually use?

Thanks for your help so far.

it must be something to do with ATiTool.

It idles at 60c, then as soon as i open atitool temps start going up. Even after i close it, the temps continue to rise. Hence why the fan kicks in.

ok done some further investigating.

When i reboot the PC the GPU sits happily at 60c.

When i open AtiTool and if i have set it to start in 2D mode temps are fine.

If i switch to 3D mode then back to 2D mode (or close atitool) then clock settings do get reverted (checked via GPU Tool) however the temp still increases and will continue to increase.

The fan kicks in to 38% and brings temp down to 65c but then temps continues to go up and it gets into its vicious cycle.

Does no one else get such problem with the tool?

Also as far as i am aware there is no way of accessing the 2D mode in atitoll other than on startup which in turn requires a PC reboot. If you click default it actually reverts the 3D speed to 2D speed.

It's a difficult one to check without actually starting atitool in 2D mode.

If i start it in 3d mode and exit temps rise and voltage is 1.2
If i start it in 2d mode and exit temps will stay normal and voltage is 1.0

However once started in 3d mode there is no way to reset voltage back to 1.0 as atitool only adjusts the 3d speed.

I am not sure if this is a bug in atitool. Clicking default does not render the clocks back to 2D but rather adjusts the 3D clock to be 2D speed thus also applying 1.0 voltage, temps continue to rise because i imagine it thinks it is in 3D speed.

If that made any sense :)

Its bizarre that i am the only one suffering from this :/

investigated even further.

Uninstalled Atitool
unistalled 7.6 cats
used driver cleaner
reinstalled 7.6 cats.

Now at default settings temp holds fine.

If i increase settings by say 1c then revert back to default the vicious temp circle begins.

Fan kicks in just after 70c takes it down to 65 then temp steadily increases again to 70 and off we go again.

i think i am even more confused now than before i started.

It seems that no matter how i change the clocks on the card be it by AMD GPU Tool or Ati Tool by even 1c and then reverting back to default the temp problem happens.

<shrugs shoulders>

Just tried RivaTuner. Took the GPU temp all the way down to 50. Then as usual it builds all the way up to 75c and then the FAN kicks in.

i wonder if i need a format or whether there is an actual problem with the card. Saying that though it sits fine at default.

Guys just thought in case you were interested that i have solved the problem.

It was actually the PSU causing the noise. The bearings or something must be going inside and thus moving between cats 7.5 and 7.6 must draw more power making the noise louder.

PSU now replaced and headache gone!

Back
Top Bottom