• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

2900XT FAN

Soldato
I think so, 70C seems to ring a bell. If you use ATItool, you can see what fan speeds are used when the temp reaches a certain level.. I think, can't check at the moment, in work lol.

Permabanned
Yes,

it stays at 31% fan speed on the desktop and then when in 3d it runs at 38% after 70c is reached.

I set the fan speed to 25% for the desktop using Atitool and undervolt the 2900xt to 0.9 instead of 1.0 and it stays around 60c.

With good case cooling it would be less.

Last edited:
Soldato
What does your GPU temp idle at when its at stock volts and stock fan speeds? See mine sits at around 45-50C idle when its just on Desktop, and when gaming, it doesn't go above 70 very much, only in very intense scenes in stalker when above ground etc. Maybe I've just been very lucky lol.

Soldato
just bought one of these, first Ati card since 9700pro.

My fan seems resonable quite only really played stalker on it yet though. Can i just ask are clocks in ccc info realtime? my core and memory seem to be quite low clocked. (500ish mhz)

Soldato
Sone said:
just bought one of these, first Ati card since 9700pro.

My fan seems resonable quite only really played stalker on it yet though. Can i just ask are clocks in ccc info realtime? my core and memory seem to be quite low clocked. (500ish mhz)
Yeah, that's showing your 2D clock speeds, When you start a game or some other 3D app, they will speed up to around 750Mhz/850Mhz or something. If you get AMD GPU Clock tool, you can see the speeds for your 2D and 3D environments :D.

Permabanned
Ghosteh said:
What does your GPU temp idle at when its at stock volts and stock fan speeds? See mine sits at around 45-50C idle when its just on Desktop, and when gaming, it doesn't go above 70 very much, only in very intense scenes in stalker when above ground etc. Maybe I've just been very lucky lol.

At normal stock volts/fan speed (31%) it idles around 53c but this is because my case cooling is only 2x120mm fans running at 600rpm 5v, 1x80mm 7v, cpu intel stock fan at 991rpm and a fanless psu. Motherboard is fanless.

When i can get round to installing the Ninja cooler my case temps/card temps should improve.

Associate
OP
hmm, i use ATITool.

What i am saying is that without ATITOOL open, on desktop the temp is going above 70c.

Should the temp be getting to 70c on the desktop?

Hmm just double checked using GPU Tool and ATiTool together. Deffinite 2D Speed of 506/513 is idling at 70c which would be why the fan speeds up to 38%

Should i be worried about this or is it just normal?

Clock.it/Ghosteh can i have your MSN to chat to you about it?

Last edited:
Permabanned
It should'nt reach 70c unless the fan is set to 25%. The normal fan speed is 31% and that keeps my card approx 53c on the desktop.

The volts in Atitool is 1.1 if running in 2d desktop mode and 1.2 if in 3d mode.

What make of 2900xt have you got and do your temps get much higher in 3d? (Sorry i dont use msn)

Soldato
hmm, i use ATITool.

What i am saying is that without ATITOOL open, on desktop the temp is going above 70c.

Should the temp be getting to 70c on the desktop?

Hmm just double checked using GPU Tool and ATiTool together. Deffinite 2D Speed of 506/513 is idling at 70c which would be why the fan speeds up to 38%

Should i be worried about this or is it just normal?

Clock.it/Ghosteh can i have your MSN to chat to you about it?

Hmm, that definitely sounds too hot for just 2D acceleration. How is the airflow in your case? The only time I saw my temps that high was if sometimes it stuck to the 3D clocks when it was on the desktop after gaming or something, in which case I just set default clocks with AMD GPU tool.

also I would give you my MSN, but I'm in work at the moment, so cant connect to MSN, and also cant find out my settings on my PC, so id probably be quiet useless lol.

Associate
OP
Its a Sapphire.

No the temps do not get much higher when in 3D mode as the fan ups to 38%.

With AtiTool though whenever you edit anything you are editing the 3D speed and not the 2D speed. So voltage etc is all at 3D. Is that right?

Can you give me some advice as to how best to use AtiTool? What settings do you actually use?

Thanks for your help so far.

Soldato
hmm, to be honest, I don't use ATItool for overclocking, I mostly use it for monitoring of temps and fan speeds etc, Im not too sure what speeds you edit as by default its showing the 2D clocks and not 3D, so i would assume if you upped them in ATItool you would be upping the 2D clocks, and getting high temps maybe. All my overclocking is done with AMDGPUtool, that only works on CPU/memory speeds, not voltages etc, but so far, I've not found any reason to up or down the voltage.

Permabanned
Mines a Sapphire too so the temps should be around the same.

As a use Vista Atitool goes to the 2d clocks/volts because the "switch to 3d mode clocks when starting Atitool" is not working.

If you go to the Atitool "settings" then "Hd2000 overclocking" menu there is an option which you can untick so Atitool does not change to showing 3d clocks/volts when the card is in 2d mode.

Have you used AMDGPUClockTool to see your temps and 2d/3d clocks?

It shows what clocks you are currently running and 2d/3d clocks separately.

Associate
OP
it must be something to do with ATiTool.

It idles at 60c, then as soon as i open atitool temps start going up. Even after i close it, the temps continue to rise. Hence why the fan kicks in.

Permabanned
Its looking like Atitool is switching to 3d mode when started and keeping at that. You could check if it is by running Atitool and then closing it, then run AMDGPUClockTool to find your current clocks whether they are 2d or 3d.

If you untick the "change to 3d clocks when starting Atitool" option then the problem with Atitool would be cured hopefully.

Associate
OP
ok done some further investigating.

When i reboot the PC the GPU sits happily at 60c.

When i open AtiTool and if i have set it to start in 2D mode temps are fine.

If i switch to 3D mode then back to 2D mode (or close atitool) then clock settings do get reverted (checked via GPU Tool) however the temp still increases and will continue to increase.

The fan kicks in to 38% and brings temp down to 65c but then temps continues to go up and it gets into its vicious cycle.

Does no one else get such problem with the tool?

Also as far as i am aware there is no way of accessing the 2D mode in atitoll other than on startup which in turn requires a PC reboot. If you click default it actually reverts the 3D speed to 2D speed.

Soldato
hmm that sounds very odd. It sounds like ATItool could be locking your gfx card in 3D mode maybe.. *shrugs* I cant think really what would be causing it

Permabanned
So after exiting Atitool the clocks go back to approx 500/500 and yet the temps still go up?

Sounds like the 3d voltage is stuck even when you revert back to 2d mode.

Can you go into Atitool after the temps go up and check the card voltage.

2d mode uses 1.0 volts and 3d 1.2 volts.

Associate
OP
It's a difficult one to check without actually starting atitool in 2D mode.

If i start it in 3d mode and exit temps rise and voltage is 1.2
If i start it in 2d mode and exit temps will stay normal and voltage is 1.0

However once started in 3d mode there is no way to reset voltage back to 1.0 as atitool only adjusts the 3d speed.

I am not sure if this is a bug in atitool. Clicking default does not render the clocks back to 2D but rather adjusts the 3D clock to be 2D speed thus also applying 1.0 voltage, temps continue to rise because i imagine it thinks it is in 3D speed.

If that made any sense :)

Its bizarre that i am the only one suffering from this :/

Permabanned
Certain game demos when exited caused my 2900xt to stay with 3d clock speeds/volts when in 2d mode and the temps went up until i started a full game then exited then they went back to normal.

The 7.6 drivers as far as i know cured this problem.

Atitool is not totally bug free yet for the 2900xt so it might be better to use Rivatuner 2.02 which i see is just out according to another thread until Atitool works completely.

Fan control and overclocking seem to be working with it.

Back
Top Bottom