• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

290X + ROG Swift = flickering and black screen

Caporegime
Thanks for all the help guys and I will try that fix tonight Mr Pain.

@DM - No, just no! The monitor has been perfect for many many months and never skipped a beat. Now if it results in me staying at 60Hz, so be it but this is not a faulty monitor and I told you this before. Now unless you have any helpful advice, please stay out.

If Greg's Swift was the problem then the same thing would happen on his nvidia cards :confused:

Well done for being closed minded. This is a documented issue on different brands of cards both Nvidia and AMD. There are lots of situations where there is a hardware fault that will show on SOME hardware and not others. A perfectly working monitor will work with all cards, a faulty monitor could work with some cards but not others, or no cards. Working with one card means that, it worked with one card. Another non faulty monitor could work perfectly with any card at all.

But ignore that possibility and have a go at me because it's literally impossible that it could be a monitor fault right?

Jesus, not sure if you're being purposefully ignorant or just wanting this to be an AMD issue(despite lots of Nvidia users having the same problem).

This happens in multiple areas of computing. Mobo works fine with one gpu, randomly won't work with another gpu... suspect gpu, change gpu, same problem, replace mobo, problem goes away.

If a motherboard is supposed to in general work with all gpus, works fine for 6 months with the first gpu you use, then causes all kinds of problems with another gpu AND it turns out to be the motherboard at fault then the motherboard was always faulty, the problem just didn't show in one particular combination of hardware.

But you always stay civil right, pointing out fact that Nvidia users have faced the same issue and replacing the screen fixed it isn't helpful, and your civil response was to tell me to stay out of a thread, particularly interesting for someone who goes into every thread to troll everyone, having the cheek to tell someone to stay out of one.

You know which users tend to end up not getting their problems fixed, it's the ones that discount genuine possibilities for absolutely no reason at all.

It's perfectly possible you have a faulty AMD card, it's perfectly possible you have a faulty screen, you've discounted one of those completely based off an illogical argument... the screen works with card A thus it will work with all cards as it can't have a problem.

Soldato
Yes, this IS a fault with the monitor. Multiple Nvidia and AMD users have the same problem, flickering at 144hz and many at 120hz as well. In many of those situations sending the monitor back for a replacement with zero other changes got a working screen.

This is a Asus Swift problem, not AMD and not directly Nvidia. It could be a g-sync issue, hardware/QC wise, or it could be something Asus have done. Possibly random panel problems themselves but considering G-sync modules are new and tn/144hz tech has been fine up till now it's least likely to be a panel issue than Asus or Nvidia troubles.

But it was fine for Greg on his nVidia set up so no.

Caporegime
OP
Worked on 3 Titans and every single one of them connected to the monitor individually. Could be drivers, could be the card but I am having problems and it has nothing to do with AMD Vs nVidia, so drop the attitude DM. My stance of AMD is still positive and other than what issues I have, things are very good. Now take your accusations and your childish posts elsewhere please DM, as I would appreciate any help and possible fixes to not get lost in your fanboyisms.

J.D

J.D

Soldato
But it was fine for Greg on his nVidia set up so no.

You'll find users report that some 290s are able to use 120Hz perfectly fine, some 85Hz and others stuck at 60Hz for flicker free gaming. I've seen one user mention they sent two ROG Swifts back for this. On the third time, they received a monitor that would do 120Hz on his/her 290.

Even though it worked fine on Nvidia. It's not really reflective of user reports with a quick 5-10 minute reading session. Make of it what you will after a short read. I would link but it's against the rules (sales). I'm not certain it's Asus fault but it might be, I do admit also that it's strange it's all working with Nvidia.

Caporegime
Thanks for all the help guys and I will try that fix tonight Mr Pain.

@DM - No, just no! The monitor has been perfect for many many months and never skipped a beat. Now if it results in me staying at 60Hz, so be it but this is not a faulty monitor and I told you this before. Now unless you have any helpful advice, please stay out.

Did you use G-Sync on the Titans? that would bypass the none standard Firmware.

Don
From another thread. This guy got a reply from AMD on the issue.

Some people took there monitors back and got another swift and it worked fine at 120hz and some even at 144hz. It really does seem like a hit or a miss with these swift monitors on the AMD side and in some cases even on the Nvidia side.

Good to see AMD just pointing the finger. Why does this not replicate for everyone with an AMD card and this monitor if it is a fault within the hardware.

Caporegime
OP
Did you use G-Sync on the Titans? that would bypass the none standard Firmware.

Not always. If running firestrike for instance, it would always be turned off. Plus I did loads of personal testing to see if I was seeing the placebo effect.

Could it just be the cards DP isn't getting enough power? I know others are running the same monitor as me and at 120Hz? Seems like a right mixed bag of various resolutions for differing systems.

Soldato
Worked on 3 Titans and every single one of them connected to the monitor individually. Could be drivers, could be the card but I am having problems and it has nothing to do with AMD Vs nVidia, so drop the attitude DM. My stance of AMD is still positive and other than what issues I have, things are very good. Now take your accusations and your childish posts elsewhere please DM, as I would appreciate any help and possible fixes to not get lost in your fanboyisms.
I think Greg while you are only interested in trying to solve your problem, it seem that Rusty and Ayahuasca already have the mind made up and determine to argue to put the blame on AMD.

I just want to point out that...while there's no doubt your Titan worked perfectly fine with the Swift, because that was with Nvidia card (s). Does any of us actually know if there would be any compatability issue between AMD graphic card and Gsync monitors, because of the onboard Gsync module?

I mean when the video signal get sent to the Gysnc monitor, is it the case of bypassing the Gsync module completely, or would the signal be somewhat affected if having to go through the Gsync module, since the module was designed to use with Nvidia graphic card in mind?

Honestly I have to say I have no idea what would happen when trying to use a Gsync monitor with a AMD card, especially they don't seem to be ideal match in the first place...

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
I don't care who or what is to blame in honesty. If I can get 120Hz working, I will be very very happy with the card. As it stands right now, I will just end up using my VG278H if none of the suggested fixes work, as I seriously detest the tearing and would rather a lower IQ over the tearing.

Soldato
I think Greg while you are only interested in trying to solve your problem, it seem that Rusty and Ayahuasca already have the mind made up and determine to argue to put the blame on AMD.

I just want to point out that...while there's no doubt your Titan worked perfectly fine with the Swift, because that was with Nvidia card (s). Does any of us actually know if there would be any compatability issue between AMD graphic card and Gsync monitors, because of the onboard Gsync module?

I mean when the video signal get sent to the Gysnc monitor, is it the case of bypassing the Gsync module completely, or would the signal be somewhat affected if having to go through the Gsync module, since the module was designed to use with Nvidia graphic card in mind?

Honestly I have to say I have no idea what would happen when trying to use a Gsync monitor with a AMD card, especially they don't seem to be ideal match in the first place...

It would have been very easy for Nvidia to put an algorithm on the module to say ifAMDforce60hz.

Would they? well let's put it like this. With SLI you need a license. With Crossfire all you need is two PCIE slots. So, on Nforce boards (like the last one I had, the Crosshair on AMD socket) if you inserted two AMD cards it simply refused to post.

I analysed the bios (dumped it and had a poke through it) and basically if it saw two ATI Dev_IDs it would simply refuse to post.

IE - Nvidia saw fit to make sure that their boards did not run Crossfire, even though Crossfire only needs two physical PCIE slots to work.

Naughty. As thus I wouldn't put anything past them.

Soldato

That's what I have decided based on the evidence at hand. Deal with it. I'm not arguing about anything with anyone. :confused:

My point was that the AMD reply seemed to be them washing their hands with it blaming it on a non-standard part in the monitor. And they can't do anything as a result. But if that was the case then it would likely be present for Greg on his nVidia cards too.

What I was getting at - which I thought was clear - is that if nVidia can find a way to make it work then why can't AMD?

Soldato
That's what I have decided based on the evidence at hand. Deal with it. I'm not arguing about anything with anyone. :confused:

My point was that the AMD reply seemed to be them washing their hands with it blaming it on a non-standard part in the monitor. And they can't do anything as a result. But if that was the case then it would likely be present for Greg on his nVidia cards too.

What I was getting at - which I thought was clear - is that if nVidia can find a way to make it work then why can't AMD?

Unless AMD have the source code to G-Sync (hint, they don't, no one but Nvidia does) then there's not much they can do about it.

Why would they spend time getting a rival technology to work? especially when Nvidia have made it clear it's theirs and no one elses?

Soldato
And what if you wake up and your house is upside down? I just don't see it personally but if you've got some evidence to back it up... It's not as if running an AMD card allows you to use any of the GeForce benefits anyway so it makes little sense to completely cripple the monitor with an AMD card running.

Back
Top Bottom