2k dual monitor query

Associate
My son is looking to upgrade his PC monitors. He currently has some pretty old 1080p 60Hz monitors – the main monitor he uses for gaming and the 2nd for YouTube, Twitch etc maybe even homework (but I doubt it!)

We were thinking about upgrading to 2K but I had a couple of concerns and would be grateful for any advice..

Although he has a pretty good set up - could running dual 2K monitors be too demanding for his PC and reduce performance?*

One option could be to buy a lower res 2nd monitor (to me it also seems pointless spending the extra money on for 2K - when it’s not used for gaming). But if we get a lower res 2nd monitor does this cause problems in itself i.e. running two monitor with different resolutions?

Any advice gratefully received.

*Spec: RTX2070 super, Ryzen 9 5900x with 32gb ram

Associate
My son is looking to upgrade his PC monitors. He currently has some pretty old 1080p 60Hz monitors – the main monitor he uses for gaming and the 2nd for YouTube, Twitch etc maybe even homework (but I doubt it!)

We were thinking about upgrading to 2K but I had a couple of concerns and would be grateful for any advice..

Although he has a pretty good set up - could running dual 2K monitors be too demanding for his PC and reduce performance?*

One option could be to buy a lower res 2nd monitor (to me it also seems pointless spending the extra money on for 2K - when it’s not used for gaming). But if we get a lower res 2nd monitor does this cause problems in itself i.e. running two monitor with different resolutions?

Any advice gratefully received.

*Spec: RTX2070 super, Ryzen 9 5900x with 32gb ram

I run 2 monitors on a 2070 and I have no issues. One is 4k and the other 1440p.

You could consider replacing both with a single UW 1440p 34''/35''/38'' . All depends on your budget.

Permabanned
I run a 3840x1600 monitor with a 1920x1080. The second monitor is for doing general browsing while I am in the middle of a game on the first monitor! So having two monitors still has it's uses.
I use a 2070S, although I would have upgraded to a 3080 had I been able to actually find one! I can tell you that the 2070S is capable of running most games on the 3840x1600 monitor at 60Hz. I wanted to upgrade to a 3080 to get above 60Hz.
Monitors are so expensive these days that I would certainly recommend buying each to suit what you do with it rather than just buying two the same. So yes, a 27" 2560x1440 or even a 34" 3440x1440p would be ideal for you and keep one of the 1080p monitors as a second monitor. You might even like to think about going to 144Hz.

Back
Top Bottom