2p coins now worth 3p

Associate
Rich1988 said:
the only problem about this is its against the law to deface coins with the queens head on, defacing coins is illegal sadly :/

This explains why my plumber took off with some old copper pipes rather than shoving it in the skip!

z

Soldato
norm said:
How did they get the new 2 pence peice from steel to retain the same weight as that of the copper piece?

Wikipedia tells me that, as copper-plated steel is less dense than bronze (it seems this is what was previously used rather than just copper), post-1992 coins have been slightly thicker.

Soldato
Meridian said:
Steel is worth next to nothing, as any scrap dealer will tell you.

M

Thats not strictly true, they went through a period a couple of years ago where they were not interested in complete wrecks with no salvageable parts, but steel prices have gone up suffiecently to warrent them paying for scrap or towing complete sheds away for free.

Associate
Aod said:
actually, about 3 years after parliament put this through, they out another law through that made that one null and void.

effectively, you can deface the queens face on a coin without fear of repucussion.

This is quite true. Was in Liverpool a year or so ago, and of course, had to jump on the ferry across the Mersey (just to say I had done it) and I think there were machines there which you put 1 or a 2p in and pressed some button, it then squashed the coin into into a 'token ' to remind you of your crossing

Surely those machines would have been illegal if defacing was illegal still?

Permabanned
Bumhucker said:
Don't forget guys, melting down coins of the realm is illegal ;)

Rich1988 said:
the only problem about this is its against the law to deface coins with the queens head on, defacing coins is illegal sadly :/

1 porcelein bowl,
1 hollow clay brick
1 blow torch
£2000 of copper 2 pence pieces.

melt them down in the bowl with the torch, pour into the clay brick, cool down and sell the copper bar. impossible for anyone to know, rince and repeat. :D

Soldato
locutus12 said:
1 porcelein bowl,
1 hollow clay brick
1 blow torch
£2000 of copper 2 pence pieces.

melt them down in the bowl with the torch, pour into the clay brick, cool down and sell the copper bar. impossible for anyone to know, rince and repeat. :D

except that its not 100% copper.
you've got inpuritys in it, so anyone who wants copper is going to be annoyed that your selling impure ingots
also the ingots will be unmarked, iirc they have to be stamped to sell on the open market

Soldato
would it not be worth it to go hit some of the arcades in black pool or somewhere and change a few hundred quid of notes for 2ps and then sell them on?

Soldato
how could they know? I'm sure you could defract them pretty easily, highly unlikely that copper and the imperfections in the coins would have the same melting point.

Back
Top Bottom