2x 280 60mm rads or 2x 360 40mm rads

Caporegime
Based on the fact the cooling capacity is roughly proportionate to the cubic size of radiator.

2 x 280 60mm = 4,704,000 mm cube of capacity

2 x 360 40mm = 3,456,000 mm cube

so 2 x 280 should offer 36% more cooling (in theory)

plus i like 140mm wide rads anyway even if the cooling matched as you can have slower moving fans for the same cooling.

Soldato
Thicker rads should make the difference but they won't. Larger radiators are better for cooling than smaller (thicker) rads.

I think jayztwocents did a video on it a while back. A same sized radiator one thick one thin and there was overall only a degree or two difference between the two.

I would for sure go for the 2x360mm radiators. They will offer you the better performance.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Thicker rads should make the difference but they won't. Larger radiators are better for cooling than smaller (thicker) rads.

I think jayztwocents did a video on it a while back. A same sized radiator one thick one thin and there was overall only a degree or two difference between the two.

I would for sure go for the 2x360mm radiators. They will offer you the better performance.

Its a tricky one and fpi and make of rad and choice of fans come into it as well.

Thicker rads dissipate more heat than thinner ones. full stop. Especially if the fan speed is increased however at low fan speed there is little diff or even zero.

Yes it might only be one or two degrees difference between a thick and thin rad but equally its probably the same going from a 280 rad to a 360 rad.

Here. http://thermalbench.com/2015/01/05/hardwarelabs-nemesis-480gts/5/

difference between a fat and thin hardware labs nemesis is zero degrees delta at 600 fan speed. At full fan speed its one degree delta

There is more difference between choosing different rads then there is in the thickness of them though.

So I will adjust my first post. If going for silence and low fan speeds, surafce area of rads more important than thickness so 2 x 360 > 2 x 280.

If going for higher fans speeds and best cooling then 2 x 280 thick > 2 x 360

In the middle fan speed, probably nothing in it :p

Just go for as many rads as you can fit ;)

Soldato
Yeah its totally different from rad to rad, do you already have lots of rads and your picking between them, or are you buying new rads to suit the case you get?

I would pick a case you like then just see whats the biggest rads you can fit in.

Back
Top Bottom