2x 780GTX's in SLI with a 4790K CPU Not at full use help

Associate
I was wondering if anybody could throw some light on the following issue.

SLI I know in most modern games does not work / not supported. At the moment I currently play Elite Dangerous (Not Odyssey) on max setting at a resolution of 1440x3440 and it is showing as using SLI.

Both GPU's site at about 65% and the CPU sit's at about 20-60% I have 16GB Ram running at 2400mhz

Do I have a bottleneck on something I don't know about?

Any Advice would be good.

I would get a new card but everyone knows what's going on at the moment.

Thanks

The 4790K Processor only supports DDR3 1333/1600, DDR3L-1333/1600. And Elite Dangerous doesn't support SLI.:) And as you know SLI is effectively dead.

Last edited:
The 4790K Processor only supports DDR3 1333/1600, DDR3L-1333/1600. And Elite Dangerous doesn't support SLI.:) And as you know SLI is effectively dead.

My 1650 V2 only supports 1866 officially - 2400 and 2800MHz RAM goes in fine, enable XMP and away it goes. Though on this era XMP can be hit and miss and you may have to hand tune it.

Yes as memory is overclocked by the xmp setup in the motherboard.

The whole SLI in 2014 when I got the cards seemed a great idea but it's proved to be more troublesome every year.

Thanks for your thoughts

My 1650 V2 only supports 1866 officially - 2400 and 2800MHz RAM goes in fine, enable XMP and away it goes. Though on this era XMP can be hit and miss and you may have to hand tune it.

The memory has as far as I'm aware been running flawlessly since I got the setup in 2014 and as you suggested it has been through the XMP profile in the bios.

Thanks

Memory overclocking is a thing. :cry:
Quite right on the SLI support though. Could maybe try on older GPU drivers?

Thanks I'll give that a shot. Never crossed my mind to try older drivers. Any idea how far back I should go?? I can't remember a point in which it just stopped working. Been bring up the kinds and found myself with a bit more time in which I have time to game again.

Thanks

~2400MHz RAM is about the sweet spot for all around performance on Intel of that era - though SLI can benefit from increased frequency a bit the gains beyond 2400MHz are rapidly diminishing returns.

Both GPU's site at about 65% and the CPU sit's at about 20-60% I have 16GB Ram running at 2400mhz
For seeing if you have a CPU bottleneck, total CPU usage is probably not very useful.
If the game has one thread on which all the others depend, then the CPU core running that thread may very well be at 100% with the other CPU cores mostly sitting idle waiting for the main thread. During this, your total CPU usage might be as low as 30% or so.
Not saying that this the case in your system either way, just saying that to take diagnose a bottleneck (as opposed to someone coming along and saying they've seen a similar setup to your, and the CPU was the bottleneck) we would really need you to run a proper monitoring tool which logs the usage as you play.

Thanks KompuKare

I'll run MSI Afterburner with the monitoring on and see if any of the cores are running near full. I'm also going to try with an old GPU driver after to see if that has any effect.

I managed to get from a friend a loan of an RX480. Seems to go better the a single 780gtx and the same if not better than the 780’s in SLI.

GPU runs at 100%

Thanks for the input.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom