2x Gaming PC builds

Associate
Evening everyone.

I'm looking to get 2x gaming rigs (one for me, one for the old man) to play most modern games such as bf2042, Cod etc but more importantly DCS world and flight sim 2020.

I've only ever had a gaming laptop and haven't really looked into components much over the past few years so I'm pretty clueless. My budget (per build) is around 2k, however I don't have any peripherals and would like to save some of theomey for them, if I can't then it's not a massive issue.

Could anyone recommend a build, or even spec a decent system that'll run these games with high frames on pretty much top settings. We are willing to build them ourselves or buy pre built.

I have no preference over amd or intel, but I've heard amd chips are a bit better now and cheaper? Obviously graphics wise Nvidea may be preferable.

Thanks for any help!

Associate
OP
Morning, that looks good to me. A question or two if you don't mind, will these run in VR? I should have mentioned beforehand but we would like a system capable of running those flight games smoothly in VR. We are looking to play at 1440p as 4k isn't a factor so will this handle it at 1440p? Finally, I was looking to get into streaming at some point, could this system handle that as well as playing those games?

It looks a good build and if it fills those criteria then I think that's the one for us.

Kind regards,
F

Soldato
You maybe better with an Nvidia card if you want to stream but the AIB pricing on the 3080 is quite bad right now especially if you want to stay within your budget, the 3070/ti are more reasonably price but the downside to these is they only have around 8gb VRAM.

Associate
OP
Streaming isn't a top priority if I'm honest and I know the price of a 3080 is pretty extortionate so I'm happy to leave it for now.

Will this be ok for VR? Also can you install two of these 6800 graphics card on the one board? Like I know you used to be able to do SLI with Nvidia can you still do that with cards? Excuse my lack of knowledge I'm well out the game

Soldato
The 6800XT is a bit faster than a 3070 but slower than a 3080 in VR, you can run 2 6800XT via AMDs software In mgpu but it's hardly worth it as many titles don't support it and there is the cost of doing so and also you'd have to factor in a more powerful psu.

Associate
OP
No problem, thanks for the help. I think I'll keep the system as you picked out and discuss it with the old man and see what his opinion is. He may want to wait a month or so for more money for that 3080 for VR.

To take it slightly off tangent, do you know what the best sort of 1440p monitors are that aren't too expensive? Im not worried about peripherals as these can be relatively cheap. Thanks for all your help so far

Soldato
To take it slightly off tangent, do you know what the best sort of 1440p monitors are that aren't too expensive?
Stand basically lacks adjustments, but response times are better than in LG's panel and especially contrast is good for IPS.
MSI OPTIX 27" G273QF 2560x1440 IPS 165Hz 1ms FreeSync/G-Sync Widescreen LED Backlit Gaming Monitor= £258.95
Though if you prefer darkened room, VA's the way highest contrast of all LCDs would give best looking image.
But as rule VA has really sluggish dark shade transition response times compared to IPS.

For trimmnig budget best priced 32GB memory kit would be £150.
But that Team Group is basically top memory with the fastest usually available latencies from Samsung B-die chips and hence also dual rank kit.

Associate
OP
Thanks a lot, I wouldn't be looking to play in a super dark room anyway. Just a sort of sunlight lit room or always a light on, I've saved that monitor for now and will come back to it once I've sorted the pc. Thanks

Associate
OP
Thanks again, I would prefer the MSI one if it had better contrast. Does the IPS panel have good viewing angles? not that it matters too much because I will be sat in front of it.

Last question, is it worth waiting until later in the year for price drops on any of the components or are they going to remain this price into next year?

Soldato
IPS has overall clearly best viewing angles of LCDs.
Also for fast paced gaming dark shade involving transitions are far ahead of 99% of VAs with "black smear":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34bqY7CToHg&t=318s
While sunlight from window/room lights basically negates VA's advantage in far better contrast and black value.

Really only thing with high prices are graphics cards.
Everything else is now well priced.
And who knows where price jumps next, while I wouldn't expect major GPU price decreases in near future.

Back
Top Bottom