3 pin Y fan splitters

Soldato
Hi guys,

Has anyone had any experience of using the above, as in are they okay/work etc. I'm considering putting 4x fans on my rad and it would be handy if that only took up 2x channels on my fan controller :)

How do the speed/temp reading work out on a split feed?

Thanks.

Man of Honour
I haven't used any ready made ones but I have built a half dozen myself and they worked perfectly. I used them when I had 12 fans on my rad's in push pull with a Lamptron FC2 fan controller then later a Phobya Touch 6 fan controller, both of which only have 6 channels but can handle 30w per channel. All I can say is that they just worked and I didn't have any problems with fan speeds displaying.

Associate
Hello!
I never did completely understand three pin splitters because they combine the Tach signal from both fans. I better undestand the use of the four pin splitters for three pin fans, in which the Tach signal is only present for one fan output ( there is always one output that is marked or the others have missing third pins) So I would naturally use an unpowered PWM fan splitter even for three pin fans. In passing radiator fans are too important to be three pin. Three pin fans can fail to start or stall and you don't want alarms going off all over the place.

Soldato
3 pin fan splitters I've seen don't have the tach wire connected to all fans. If they did you'd get all sorts of weird readings by the motherboard/fan controller, doubling then normal. Normally they just have 12v and ground going to all fans, then one fan has the tach wire connected. It won't always be declared which is the 'master' fan.

It's generally a good idea to install like for like fans across a single splitter, just in case of stalls at lower voltages. Set your fan control so they always start at lowest temps and the job is done.

Associate
3 pin fan splitters I've seen don't have the tach wire connected to all fans. If they did you'd get all sorts of weird readings by the motherboard/fan controller, doubling then normal. Normally they just have 12v and ground going to all fans, then one fan has the tach wire connected. It won't always be declared which is the 'master' fan.

It's generally a good idea to install like for like fans across a single splitter, just in case of stalls at lower voltages. Set your fan control so they always start at lowest temps and the job is done.

I have half a dozen right here. Different makes too. They all have the third pin. I even connected them up to a meter to assure myself that all the Tachs are connected together. They are. Yet I have to agree it puzzles me too as to why this is the case. I have also noticed that some do not, they would definitely be the choice for me, but I am not sure how you would assure yourself that you are buying one that is correctly wired. If you do a search on ebay you will also see ( for the cables that you can actually see the wiring ) that some do not connect the third pin while some do.

One that does not connect the third pin..

]

One that does..

So....beats me, but just take care!

** Do Not Hotlink Images **

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
The ones I made have all pins connected and it just works. Magic!!

I have no idea how. It should produce a messy Tach signal, but apparently it works. The Tachs will not be synchronised so the RPM signal could potentially be out by as much as 100%. I don't get it. LOL!!!

Soldato
I have mine in large banks on splitty 9s, could recommend those hidden out of sight and then single channel per rad to scale up or down.

RPM read from one slot, controls all effectively... £9 or something so bargain really and helps with the mess that is my 17 fans.

Back
Top Bottom