3 series diesel or petrol, is there any point ?

Associate
Hello hello hello, today I bring you a question you've probably answered multiple times in your life time but I will ask again as I respect the opinion of this board.

I am the owner of an e46 currently and am looking at upgrading to another e46 next year, a 330. You may notice I have missed 1/2 letters of the end, that being the source of my question. From what I can see on the facebook pages and such, 330d/330cd's are a hot commodity at the moment, I can understand why, remapping is something that immedately caught my eye along with the prospect of high 30 low 40s MPG sounds like a dream. However in hindsight, am I just as well off buying a 330ci ? From what I can see there's WAY less nice 330d's around these days, all either converts, automatics or just on their last legs, 330ci's however I can seemingly find by the fist full, good examples at good price. They also have (although small by comparison) remap potential.

So I ask, what would be the best option really ? I do motorway driving maybe 2/3 times a month, about 350 miles p/m motorway but thats it really, then its just weekend driving and 5 mins to work and such.

I can't see a single point in an e46 330d anymore. Continual maintenance issues will outweigh the modest fuel savings.

Another issue also being most are high mileage, chances of the previous 4/5 owners also maintaining it are looking slim.
Going from a e46 you say upgrading to another ancient e46.

Is a no from me

I know what you mean but can't bring myself to buy an e90 as they quite possibly the worst looking 3 series of all time and anything above that ill have a nice finance bill to pay every month.

During my ownership, I thought the e46 facebook group was... Not necessarily the best place for car buying advice. Lots of young lads with 320d's, only interested in the badge, with black painted wheels and it was absolutely the opposite of my scene. (My scene was petrol and keeping my car smart looking!)

Trying to save a few quid buying a diesel would be madness to me as the few mpgs you save on your 6k annual mileage is likely to be far outwieghed by the maintenance cost. You'd lose the nice noise and in my backwards anti-diesel opinion, it doesn't really suit the sporty, coupe car to drive around with a cloud of smoke behind you! The power range will also likely be quite narrow I'd imagine so you would lose some of the driving experience? You specify a manual as well which, again biased opinion, is a good match for the petrol.

This looks nice...

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201911124292046

However, If you've got an e46 that isn't falling in a niggly pile of niggles (and rust) I personally wouldn't take the risk on swapping it for another one!

For other options at a similar budget, I can't think of anything I would recommend. Mondeo ST220 might just be the only one as they seem to be ridiculously cheap; £1.2k or so. A cheap as chips Golf R32 or Audi S4 might be high-end e46 money but it sounds like a terrible idea!

Be honest, is this your 330ci lol. Without going through each point methodically I must admit I agree with you, especially on the noise/driving experience. My current e46 is a 4 pot unfortunately, so its almost like the worst of both worlds. No nice noise, speed or mpg.

For a cheap, high mileage, 15 y/o car...
...better the devil you know imo

I'm not trying to spend more than I realistically know they're worth, but I'm not some yob trying to snag the first £850 e46 I can with the arches looking like the underside of a barge. Gotta be realistic with pricing.

as he says ... what maintenance have you had done ? that would not be rewarded by a potential purchaser.
- they/6inline sound lovely with the vanos cutting in - I assume the young lads don't want them because of insurance cost though. ?

the linked example has ropey tyres for starters, and no declaration of specific maintenance items - links/bushes/brake-lines that might make it stand out ...
if you trusted the 95K miles

So far had the bushes done and 2 new tyres. I generally check the MOT online before I do anything and weight up if it's worth it.

For a cheap, high mileage, 15 y/o car...
...better the devil you know imo
Couldn't agree more tho, rather stick to what I know that open a new box of problems to discover.

The F3x group isn't much different, to be honest, and it's only getting worse as the prices drop into yobbo territory.

The E46 has been in yob territory for a long old time. Was a dream period where I was set on getting a E36 and christ almighty it's absolute treason the way some of them are treat. I don't understand the appeal of them awful sport steering wheel.

Back
Top Bottom