£300 from Evans Cycles

Soldato
Claiming through insurance for a new bike. Previous (until Sunday :() was a Trek 4300, t'was a good bike.

Any suggestions from their website: http://www.evanscycles.com/

Any suggestions? Just a hardtail mountain bike for circa £300 with front suspension would be dandy. I dont know much about the makes!

Last edited:
Soldato
Syk3 said:
Specialized Hardrock Sport?

gets my vote

all bikes at that price range aare pretty much equally specced though

buy the one you like the look off

or the best way would be to test a few and decide that way

Soldato
Specialized are one of the best brands in bikes, a lot will agree.

They are strong and last as long as you want.

Used to have a HardRock Sport myself, was great.

For £300 cant get too much better.

Soldato
Specialized are probably the top main stream brand.

They were the first company to market and sell a mass produced mountain bike in 1981 and they also own the patent to the horst 'FSR' 4 point suspension linkage.
Their S Works range are used many by Pro's for cross-country riding; and the Demo for freeride and downhill mountain biking.

Soldato
OP
Wow, the thread is overwhelmingly in favour of the Specialized!

How exactly is it better? It seems that the front forks are slightly better with 20mm longer travel, but what about the gears etc.?

Specialized: Shimano Acera M-330 front and Shimano Acera M-340 rear derailleur
Trek: Shimano FD-C050 front and Shimano Alivio rear derailleurs

I might be able to push for the disc brakes on the Trek 4300, though I'm not certain. Would they be worth it? I've heard before that cheap discs aren't worth the hassle - is that the case with the Trek?

Soldato
alexthecheese said:
Wow, the thread is overwhelmingly in favour of the Specialized!

How exactly is it better? It seems that the front forks are slightly better with 20mm longer travel, but what about the gears etc.?

Specialized: Shimano Acera M-330 front and Shimano Acera M-340 rear derailleur
Trek: Shimano FD-C050 front and Shimano Alivio rear derailleurs

I might be able to push for the disc brakes on the Trek 4300, though I'm not certain. Would they be worth it? I've heard before that cheap discs aren't worth the hassle - is that the case with the Trek?
Specialized are the best allround really.
Dont get disc brakes unless they are Hydraulic which near your budget wont be.

Specialized bikes are built for everything, a mate of mine works in a bike shop and a guy brought in a 20 yr old specialized and it was in perfect working order, and he rides it every day.

Soldato
OP
Syk3 said:
Specialized are the best allround really.
Dont get disc brakes unless they are Hydraulic which near your budget wont be.

Specialized bikes are built for everything, a mate of mine works in a bike shop and a guy brought in a 20 yr old specialized and it was in perfect working order, and he rides it every day.

Well, I've got a Specialized Hard Rock with disc brakes coming through. Quite chuffed really, should be a nice bike!

I had a feeling that disc brakes might be a bit overkill or not quite good enough for the price, but I went for them anyway. They can't be worse than v-brakes, can they? I suppose I could always upgrade them if needed.

7-10 working days and it comes fully built, all I have to do is stick on the pedals and point the handle bars in the right direction.

Link

Soldato
alexthecheese said:
That would've been too much mate, it's to replace a £300 bike, they knew that and it would've been pushing it a bit!

I'm sure it'll be fine for what I need. :)
Yeah it will :)

Maybe in time try upgrade to some Hyraulic Discs though.

Back
Top Bottom