• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3080 FE (2022 drop) recommended thermal pad size + paste

Associate
Firstly, so I have some noctua Nt-H2, will this be fine for the repaste job?

For the GPU die side I think 1.5mm gelid ultimate is fine all round but what about the back-plate side?

thanks guys.

Last edited:
Associate
Check your VRAM temps, it might be a 'solved' issue?

When I got my 3090FE back in April 2021, stock the VRAM would hit 104c in games like GTA V and cause fans to really ramp up.
I changed the rear pads only, dropping temps to 92-96c max, which prevented the fans going crazy.

On my RMA returned card from January, which came new-in-box, the max VRAM temp is about 88c, so no need for me to change the pads again.

What are you getting stock on yours?

Soldato
The new batch of 3xxx are meant to have updated thermal pads on them so I would wait and check before you try to replace them. I'm yet to see a picture of them but the old ones were white which resembled plaster of paris complete with 'cotton' strands inside !

Soldato
Had one from the last 3080 drop and noticed no improvement in temps and the pads looked the same

Swapped with 1.5m ultimate gelid gave very nice improvement all round

Run something with RT or run some gpu stress and look at the temps

Associate
OP
Had one from the last 3080 drop and noticed no improvement in temps and the pads looked the same

Swapped with 1.5m ultimate gelid gave very nice improvement all round

Run something with RT or run some gpu stress and look at the temps

Thank you.

Did you use 1.5mm ultimate on both the front and back or did you use 2mm for the backplate side? As for the front side did you place those 1.5mm pads everywhere or just like shown below?
https://thermalpad.eu/thermal-pad-sizes/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-founders-edition/

Soldato
The backside plate is a combination of 2mm and 1.5mm. Although there are one or two thin strips where the mem chips are that are more like 1mm. Best thing to do is put on what you think is correct then take it back off again and look at the marks being made on the pad you can soon tell which is the right thickness.

Soldato
Thank you.

Did you use 1.5mm ultimate on both the front and back or did you use 2mm for the backplate side? As for the front side did you place those 1.5mm pads everywhere or just like shown below?
https://thermalpad.eu/thermal-pad-sizes/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-founders-edition/

1.5mm ultimate on all front side , left backplate at stock , I've actually done 2 cards one with back done hardly makes any difference so didn't bother doing the back for the second card

Not sure if anything has changed with the cards , it could be that gelid now make the extreme pads harder what they used to be

Last edited:
Associate
OP
1.5mm ultimate on all front side , left backplate at stock , I've actually done 2 cards one with back done hardly makes any difference so didn't bother doing the back for the second card

Not sure if anything has changed with the cards , it could be that gelid now make the extreme pads harder what they used to be

Thanks!!! so I'll just used gelid ultimate 1.5mm on all the areas show in the pictures of that guide. If I was to do the backplate do you know what size gelid ultimates I should use? I wish there was an update date guide online for this :/.

Soldato
Thanks!!! so I'll just used gelid ultimate 1.5mm on all the areas show in the pictures of that guide. If I was to do the backplate do you know what size gelid ultimates I should use? I wish there was an update date guide online for this :/.

Older guides suggested 3mm extreme gelid for the back I would think 2mm ultimate would be fine don't remove the ultra thin one , would avoid the extreme gelid for back they literally melt on the PCB and nightmare to clean up if needed in the future

Associate
OP
Older guides suggested 3mm extreme gelid for the back I would think 2mm ultimate would be fine don't remove the ultra thin one , would avoid the extreme gelid for back they literally melt on the PCB and nightmare to clean up if needed in the future

Thanks dude. 1.5mm on the GPU side, 2mm on the back but leave the really thin pad. Lets hope this works!

Is nvidias policy in terms o a future fault that as long as you return the card complete, UNDAMAGED and the modification is found to not be the reason of the fault that they will honor the warranty?

Soldato
Thanks dude. 1.5mm on the GPU side, 2mm on the back but leave the really thin pad. Lets hope this works!

Is nvidias policy in terms o a future fault that as long as you return the card complete, UNDAMAGED and the modification is found to not be the reason of the fault that they will honor the warranty?

I didn't bother changing the back pads left stock and hardly any difference in thermals , it's the front side that makes the difference

On warranty you can take off the stock pads carefully using string and credit card have to be very careful as they can break easily and keep them safe can always install them back later if needed

Associate
OP
I didn't bother changing the back pads left stock and hardly any difference in thermals , it's the front side that makes the difference

On warranty you can take off the stock pads carefully using string and credit card have to be very careful as they can break easily and keep them safe can always install them back later if needed

Thank you. I'll take your advice and only do the front of the card with 1.5mm gelid ultimate. The main goal is to get the memory under 90-95c while gaming/mining and to maybe improve the GPU temp a bit. Out of curiosity how much does adding pads to the back help and after swapping the pads on your card how much cooler does the die, hotspot and memory run?

Is there a reason why adding thermal pads to the backplate of the 3080 isn't as important as the 3090 or is there memory on the backplate side of the 3090?

Last edited:
Soldato
Thank you. I'll take your advice and only do the front of the card with 1.5mm gelid ultimate. The main goal is to get the memory under 90-95c while gaming/mining and to maybe improve the GPU temp a bit.

Is there a reason why adding thermal pads to the backplate of the 3080 isn't as important as the 3090 or is there memory on the backplate side of the 3090?

3090 has vram on the back as well .

What else I would suggest is to run the card at stock , run benchmarks note down the temps/scores etc so you can compare after

Also I did spread the thermal paste just to make sure it's completely covered I used paste called syy 157 it's meant to be thicker so less prone to pump out pain to spread though

Back
Top Bottom