• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3080 ti Display issues, any ideas?

Associate
Morning all, hope someone might be able to help.
My rig:
Asus Rog UW monitor
B450 tomahawk max
5900x
32gb 8 pack ram (16x cl 14 3200 and 16x16 cl 3600) run at 3200 cl 14 also tried 16gb Corsair 3200 cl 16 (on motherboard approved ram list)
Zotac trinity 3080ti (evga 2080 ti ftw3 ultra gaming)
So I used add or remove programs to remove Nvidia drivers/software with internet disconnected on the previous GPU. Put in my new 3080 ti. On boot I got 3 beeps and monitor didn't display anything till the windows log on screen, apart from that all seems fine. Installed new Nvidia drivers and all seemed fine. Restarted and once again 3 beeps and didn't show anything till log on.
3 beeps is supposed to signify memory issues so tried sticks of ram separetly and different configurations I even tried a different set of ram on qvl list, but no display from card although still 3 beeps.
I then proceed to swap gpu's around 2080 ti numerous times, because I swapped ram around bios detects new hardware and I have to run setup on the 2080 ti but works fine showing bios loadup screen and everything after swapping around at least 4 times the 2080ti only beeped 3 times one time but apart from that worked fine. Tried new CMOS battery but no avail.
I'm thinking because 3080ti is not showing bios loading this is why sometimes doesn't appear to boot (new hardware setup e.t.c)
Tried ddu but once again because 3080ti doesn't show bios screen can't get into safe mode so have to do it in windows .
I see online that 30 series seems common to have 3 beeps on startup and a lot of people get round it by disabling CSM but I am already in eufi mode, so maybe this symptom is just a red herring.
Anyways I'll try updating the motherboard bios at the weekend and using DP instead of hdmi, I'll also put together another pc from old parts to try it in. Just wondering if anyone else has experience of this and could maybe give me some ideas on how to proceed.
Thanks, Chris.

Associate
You won't solve the 3 beeps and no BIOS screen by messing around with Windows drivers.

Disabling the CSM stops the motherboard from trying to start the graphics card (and any other add-in cards) in BIOS mode and makes everything pure UEFI. If the graphics card doesn't have a BIOS mode, then trying to start it that way will fail and may cause the symptoms you are seeing (although if 3 beeps is indeed the signal for a memory issue, that seems a little strange).

It's definately worth trying to boot with CSM disabled to see if it solves the problem with the graphics POST.

If your Windows install was done in UEFI mode and you've no old add-in cards that are not UEFI enabled, then you can disable the CSM anyway.

If that doesn't sort it, then yes try swapping between displayport and HDMI, I think somebody else here had something similar and found that helped.

Soldato
you might have to update you mobo bios, there have been issues with top end cards going into sligtly older boards that can have starnge boot issues until you update, a tip find a stable bios for your board that is relatively new and update, what ever you do dont install the very latest or beta bios's as they are best well avoided until the bugs and isses are worked out.

update and report back, i'm fairly confedent a bios update should fix the problem your having

just out of intrest what psu are you running?

Associate
OP
That's what I thought, although it's got a 10 year warranty, I plan to change in about 2 years if I can.
Quick update, I was bsoding with my original card last night gaming (think it was driver issues with swapping cards), updated the bios and did a fresh install of Windows.
Put new card in and only way I could see anything before windows for the new card was to use hdmi and not the dp (something that seems to be a quirk along with the three speaker beeps). Had kernel crashes to desktop while gaming but realised I hadn't installed chipset drivers and turned off fast boot. All seems good now, no crashes after a couple hours of gaming.
So for anyone who stumbles across this thread with similar issues, at least with this zotac card, just disconnect the motherboard speaker or ignore the beeps on startup (reddit thread suggests this is more common than you think for 30 series) and use hdmi if you need to get into bios or anything prior to os.
Thanks once again for the posts.
Edited for clarification

Last edited:
Soldato
I have same mobo as you. But i got no display at all with a 3060 but the pc was deffo booting up to windows. Tried different cables both DP and DVI to no avail.

Ended up putting my old card back in and updating the mobo BIOS and after that it worked fine.

Associate
OP
Have you tried it with the RAM at default
I have tried different ram on motherboard qvl previously and current ram passed windows memory test, but will give this a shot before I hit the buy button on PSU thanks.
updating the mobo BIOS
Tried the last two bios myself, display works fine in os so not to bothered having to plug in hdmi when I want to get into bios. Glad you managed to sort yours out though!

The crash in timespy, think it restarted wasn't there to see but no display and holding the power button down didn't shut down the pc, had to switch it off at the psu which is a first for me

Associate
OP
So bit of an update. Can no longer see anything before os even with hdmi and after a bit of research believe it is either a CPU or MB issue.
Used another 2nd hand PSU and system still kernel crashed.
Just took out CPU and there is an oil/darker patches on chip by side of socket running down to noctua bracket mounting and also the socket itself. CPU also shows signs of oil in small section. Will try to take pics.
Put card in another system and everything good.
Have ordered another mb just hope CPU is ok.

Soldato
yeah thats not right at all, what ever it is lets just hope your cpu is ok, if you can take the cpu and use a hair dryer pionted at the pins to try and dry out the resedue on it that way you dont have a similar problem when you install the cpu into the new motherboard, tbh you could take the motherboard and do the same with a hairdryer but take more time as you have no idea if it will be clear as the cpu latch system cant be taken apart very easily, unless you break it open, but then the board is knackard so be careful

Permabanned
So bit of an update. Can no longer see anything before os even with hdmi and after a bit of research believe it is either a CPU or MB issue.
Used another 2nd hand PSU and system still kernel crashed.
Just took out CPU and there is an oil/darker patches on chip by side of socket running down to noctua bracket mounting and also the socket itself. CPU also shows signs of oil in small section. Will try to take pics.
Put card in another system and everything good.
Have ordered another mb just hope CPU is ok.

Probably from a thermal pad. Not usually a problem. Given that the 3080ti is so new I would very much suspect that you may have to wait for various updates to solve the problem.

Soldato
to me it looks like the termal paste may have gone off and some how its worked its way under the cpu into the socket but again how the hell that happens if the motherboard is vertical is beyond me, very very strange tbh

Associate
OP
Think it might be vapour chamber or bearing fluid now as per above. I use an NH c14s down firing CPU cooler.
I did notice a while back something similar on my evga GPU backplate but put it down to thermal pad leaking, was going to contact evga at some point. Having looked at the bottom fan nearest CPU, some blades look like they have had a bit of the same stuff and the centre hub had tiny droplets of fluid. So my guess is the fluid is being blown around the socket and possibly even forced back up through around the plate. Will be changing the cooler and fans, also to be on the safe side my top 2 exhaust fans which are probably almost ten year old Corsair ones.

Soldato
old fans could be the cause especially if they are 10 years old, i suspect one has sprung a leak of its bearing fluid and its worked its way onto the heatsink then the fan has pushed it to the board and somehow into the socket and under the cpu

Associate
OP
Think your right, suppose could have been worse, just some fans and new motherboard hopefully (although still a kick in the teeth), might struggle to explain the patch on the CPU to amd though worst case but hey at least I kept the 3600 which should be good for some time yet. Anyways thanks for everyone's help, sure it'll be fine, positive thinking and all that!

Back
Top Bottom