• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3080 to 3080Ti worth the money?

Associate
I was just speaking to a friend about getting a 6800XT instead of the 3080 Strix.

The 6800XT is 900 pound, i paid 880 for the strix 3080.

ive just realised ive got a 5900x, which allows me to have SAM with the 6800XT. Do you think this will then beat the 3080 on most games? i play at 1440P, 240Hz monitor!

SAM is also available as Re-sizable bar on Nvidia, so don't let that be your deciding factor.

Techpowerup puts both cards within 3% of eachother.

For me it comes down to 16GB Vs DLSS and other Nvidia features.

I know which I would and did get, but I don't want to influence your decision.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-rx-6800-xt.c3694

Associate
OP
SAM is also available as Re-sizable bar on Nvidia, so don't let that be your deciding factor.

Techpowerup puts both cards within 3% of eachother.

For me it comes down to 16GB Vs DLSS and other Nvidia features.

I know which I would and did get, but I don't want to influence your decision.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-rx-6800-xt.c3694

Im still on the side of the 3080 tbh mate, its the perfect price/performance for me! Better ray tracing, DLSS ect.

Associate
I’ve been researching that question for the last few hours as I mull my overly expensive new 3080.

Average performance uplift going from a 3080 to a 3080-Tie is about 8%, so no it’s really not worth it. If you want a card now major retailers still have 3080s in stock for about a grand.

Soldato
What would make you want to upgrade to the 3080 Ti OP?

I had a 3060 Ti which was great for what I needed it for. Think it could have handled much more. Unfortunately I had it in my head that I needed a 3080. Haven't really noticed much difference except from benchmarks.

I believe I have upgraded from a graphics card with some headroom to a graphics card with a LOT of headroom.

Associate
100%. Didn't notice they already had it.

Don't think they do. I think the issue is the 3080 is on pre-order with no delivery date in sight.
Another option is to give up on Nvidia for this generation (as they likely will have been making people wait for over a year for 3080 cards, whilst selling millions of dollars worth of cards to miners) and buy the 4000 series next year, but who knows what the waiting time on that will be?

Associate
OP
What would make you want to upgrade to the 3080 Ti OP?

I had a 3060 Ti which was great for what I needed it for. Think it could have handled much more. Unfortunately I had it in my head that I needed a 3080. Haven't really noticed much difference except from benchmarks.

I believe I have upgraded from a graphics card with some headroom to a graphics card with a LOT of headroom.

I just want a card rn tbh! ive got everything for my system apart from the graphics card.

Associate
Given that the advice from Gibbo back in June was to consider cancelling you might not get the card before it goes EOL at this rate, there is the suggestion that 3080 supers might be announced early next year (although announced and available are 2 different things). You would be best to try and get a card in an FE drop. The next best alternative IMO is ask customer support if they will upgrade your order to the Asus 6800xt for free (it will not cost them the hundreds they say they have lost on other free upgrades). Then pocket the £650 you are considering spending extra on a 3080ti. At the appropriate time sell the 6800xt and use the £650 you have saved (plus money from selling the 6800xt) to buy a 7800xt or 4080. This will get you gaming now and put you in a good position to buy a better performing next generation card when they come out, which will out perform the 3080 anyway

Back
Top Bottom