3080ti has died

Associate
Hey All.

My 3080ti has just died. I have taken it back to the shop I purchased but it could take a month turn around. I was holding off for a 5000 series. However, wondered if anyone moved from a 3080ti to a 4080 super?

I need to make a decision; do I be patient and wait, or just take the hit and sell whatever happens with my 3080ti. Not sure I could do without my PC for that long.

I have nothing right now, so my PC is technically dead, my monitor runs 3440x1440 res, but the test graphics card I used would only reach 1024x760 res(very cheap $50 card(i now live in AUS). I purchased the 3080ti at the height of covid(chip shortages) at a cost of $2899 which is about 1500GBP so really gutted its failed but glad it's under warranty, just a shame it's such a slow turn around.

I may have to take your advice and just be patient.

I have nothing right now, so my PC is technically dead, my monitor runs 3440x1440 res, but the test graphics card I used would only reach 1024x760 res(very cheap $50 card(i now live in AUS). I purchased the 3080ti at the height of covid(chip shortages) at a cost of $2899 which is about 1500GBP so really gutted its failed but glad it's under warranty, just a shame it's such a slow turn around.

I may have to take your advice and just be patient.
Hit the used market and grab something like an 8gb rx 580 should be good enough for 1080p gaming , and then you will also have a back up gpu to keep you in the game.

Good luck .

Last edited:
Hey All.

My 3080ti has just died. I have taken it back to the shop I purchased but it could take a month turn around. I was holding off for a 5000 series. However, wondered if anyone moved from a 3080ti to a 4080 super?

I need to make a decision; do I be patient and wait, or just take the hit and sell whatever happens with my 3080ti. Not sure I could do without my PC for that long.
Gutted mate! I have a 3090 at the moment and I'm holding off to see what the 50 series is like as well - hope the RMA gets accepted - I would be in the same boat as you without my PC.

Stelly

Hit the used market and grab something like an 8gb rx 580 should be good enough for 1080p gaming , and then you will also have a back up gpu to keep you in the game.

Good luck .
This is great advice, if you cannot wait without a PC get a cheap 2nd hand card for the interim and then when your RMA gets approved you'll have a fall back card that shouldn't devalue anymore

Hey All.

Just get a cheap 2nd hand card to tide you over if you can't wait. I doubt very much the 5000 series will move the needle on price to performance i.e. any 5000 series card offering RTC 4090 performance will cost 4090 money.

how urgent is it to get your pc back up and running.. and is it purely for gaming. If so, i'd either purchase the cheapest gpu i can find, so you can use it as a backup for such situations, or to play around with a laptop/ipad etc in the interim

Going to go with an ASUS 4080 Super. Its still with Gigabyte and will take over a month for them to repair it. Been looking at the forums and it seems repairs often fail again with Gigabyte.

This is a very interesting chart.... So much so, I`ll never be purchasing Gigabyte again. Thanks for your input all.

Warranty and turn around and even failure rates can be very regional. Palit is listed there as 2 days but can be 28+ in some regions*. Gigabyte varies hugely region to region and unfortunately are known for off-loading lower grade products into some regions which should probably have never made it to retail - we generally have a better experience with them here in the UK.

On a personal level have had very poor experiences with Asus.

* Personally had good results with Palit and use them for most of my secondary GPU purchases.

Last edited:
I would wait, you are not going to die not playing games for 2 months. Buy a temporary card so you can get the computer working. Maybe second hand GTX 1080 or RX 6500 XT. Paying almost £800 for a card when you can most probably pick up a 5080 witch is most likely 10% faster than a 4090. I can understand if you had to wait 6 months but 2 months is doable. I had gigabyte repair my GFX card which took about 5 weeks and it was a perfect repair for the rest of its life, however this was a long time ago.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom