3090 build complete, Thanks OC

Associate
OP
£1300 for a single component... O... M... G! I think that’s more than my old trucks worth

Appreciate the input, I think I’ll stick with the memory for now simply because of reliability and like you said it’s not going to be a big difference until I experiment with something significantly better at which point other components might not be up to it... like the board it’s on.

I have read and read again about X570 vs B550. I learned that just about every reviewer is being paid to advertise a board (how can every single review yield completely different results!) and mingled in all the advertising was some consistent messaging about what you plan to plugin and use on it.

In the end I trawled the spec sheets so know exactly what you mean about PCI-e 4 capacity. I shall take another look at that but I do have a target price of <£1000 for a base unit (no secondary storage nor graphics card) and that really focuses the mind!!

Thanks for you help, snowing out so shall surf a few more motherboards..... cheers.
No problem mate, even for a under a 1000 you could still get yourself a really nice system. Just have a good search through at different components.

The only issue at the moment is GPUs they are sold out everywhere and because the new Ampere cards are not available it's driving up the price of the previous gen models also.

It's a horrible time to be searching for a GPU lol

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Loving the colour scheme.
Thanks mate. I tend to normally just let the RGB cycle through colours slowly, there are so many different options in the software that it's pretty hard to choose just one lol.
I do prefer the more subtle look though, I think the really bright rainbow unicorn settings look a bit OTT for me, the beauty of RGB is you can do whatever you want with it I suppose.

Associate
Thanks mate. I tend to normally just let the RGB cycle through colours slowly, there are so many different options in the software that it's pretty hard to choose just one lol.
I do prefer the more subtle look though, I think the really bright rainbow unicorn settings look a bit OTT for me, the beauty of RGB is you can do whatever you want with it I suppose.
Yeah defo, rgb is great because you can choose a different colour scheme all the time. I use to always just have the rainbow puke as people say but as i grow older i find myself preferring the solid colours haha. The beauty of rgb is you can do what you want so im not against anyones choices.

Associate
You’re not wrong about GPU!! I posted on this thread ‘some time ago’ and have my system built but no GPU

I got a W5500 workstation card second hand (£360) rather than sport the UK’s most expensive desk ornament and to be fair it’s actually an attractive card when in a glass sided case... but it’s not the balls out GPU I’m hoping to finish on.

Apparently I could be waiting until next year for a GPU if you believe all you read. Until then I’ll look at these pics and dream... really nice rig you built there!

Associate
OP
You’re not wrong about GPU!! I posted on this thread ‘some time ago’ and have my system built but no GPU

I got a W5500 workstation card second hand (£360) rather than sport the UK’s most expensive desk ornament and to be fair it’s actually an attractive card when in a glass sided case... but it’s not the balls out GPU I’m hoping to finish on.

Apparently I could be waiting until next year for a GPU if you believe all you read. Until then I’ll look at these pics and dream... really nice rig you built there!
Yeah the market right now is ridiculous, I originally wanted a 3080 when I built the rig back in January but there was no stock anywhere, I found a FE 3090 in stock for £1399 so I just thought why not and got it.
They are now selling for for north of £2.5k on eBay etc.
Which is madness really.
Hope you can get a GPU soon mate, really hope that stock starts to return to normal in the second half of this year, it has to eventually.
Best of luck in your hunt pal

Back
Top Bottom