• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3090 FE Mining

Associate
Hi,

I’ve got a 3090 Founders Edition, I have done the top thermal repad with 1.5mm (I haven’t done the bottom half + repaste). My temperatures have gotten worse than they were standard. What could possibly be the problem? Surely just doing the top side would make a difference even if it was minimal.

Soldato
In taking the backplate off, you might of disturbed something on the front/core side, which might be where your high temps are from.
That is if you havent missed anything on the rear?

What temp has increased?

Associate
OP
If you have enough pads to do the front you may aswell strip it down, take your time, and do the lot. As @FlyingFish mentioned something might need scoping now rather than later!

(Unless you have forgot your fan profile in AB- one time I had it on really low RPM quiet settings and thought something was wrong with my cooling).

I’ve checked and double checked my settings were exactly as they were before and after just my GPU Temp has dropped but VRAM Temp has gone up.

Associate
Hi,

I’ve got a 3090 Founders Edition, I have done the top thermal repad with 1.5mm (I haven’t done the bottom half + repaste). My temperatures have gotten worse than they were standard. What could possibly be the problem? Surely just doing the top side would make a difference even if it was minimal.

What thermal pads did you use and what thickness? Sounds to me like you didn't remove the SLI cover before reassembling the backplate, creating warping.

Soldato
We need to see what you have done.

Also why did you take apart a good card to re apply thermal compound?

I just dont get it, why? Did you have an issue with thermals before hand or not?

Associate
OP
I used thermalright odyssey 1.5mm and yes I removed the SLI cover.

I’ve only changed the backplate thermal pads nothing else, it was running 98C Junction that’s why I wanted to change the top - the bottom is untouched so still original thermal pads and paste.

1.5mm is thick enough for 3090 that’s what’s recommended.

Last edited:
Soldato
The better pads to use are Gelid Extreme since they are softer/more compressible than the Thermalright Odysseys. I'm not sure 1.5mm are thick enough for the rear chips. I know the 3080 FE needs around 2-3mm pads for the rear to make good contact with the metal back panel.You will have to open it back up and check if there are back panel indents on the pads. If there aren't any compression marks then get some thicker pads.

Associate
OP
I will take it apart when I get home and post up a picture of the work done but definitely 1.5mm is thick enough I’ve only done the top not the bottom.

Associate
You need to do both sides not just 1 side, I used same thermal pads as you did on 2 rtx 3090 FE and both dropped at least 30c (one of them 40c). The temps your seeing are just whichever vram is hottest and by not doing them all it'll keep throttling.

Also don't use the previous thermal pads as template use diagrams found online. The thermal pads near the V shape part of the card need to be much bigger with diagonal cuts

Associate
OP
You need to do both sides not just 1 side, I used same thermal pads as you did on 2 rtx 3090 FE and both dropped at least 30c (one of them 40c). The temps your seeing are just whichever vram is hottest and by not doing them all it'll keep throttling.

Also don't use the previous thermal pads as template use diagrams found online. The thermal pads near the V shape part of the card need to be much bigger with diagonal cuts

So because I’ve done the top the actual high heat is now the bottom? If I do the bottom do I need to change the thermal paste? The card itself is 2 weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom