• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3090 Gaming Coil Whine log

Soldato
OP
Update:

Bad coil whine:

RDR2 - FE (4k/60)/ Strix OC - Stu999 / @Perra_himself
Mafia: Definitive Edition - Strix OC - Perra_himself
MS Flight Simulator 2020 - FE (4K 30 - 50 FPS) - Stu999

Average coil whine:
Call of Duty: Warzone - Strix OC - Perra_himself
Horizon: Zero Dawn - FE - 4k/60 - Stu999 (seems very 'scene' dependent).
Shadow of the Tomb Raider - FE - 4k/60 - Stu999 (again depends on what is happening on screen, I had RTX on too).
Cyberpunk 2077 - FE - 4K/~60 - Stu999 - worse in the menus where it can go up to crazy numbers like 500 but still present in the main game even with vsync on. Not the worst though

Minimal coil whine (e.g. only in certain circumstances):
Crysis 3 - FE - 4k/60 - Stu999
GTA V - FE - 4k/60 - Stu999
Fall Guys - FE - 4k/60 - Stu999
Doom 2016 - FE - 4k/60 - Stu999

No coil whine:
Ace Combat 7 - FE - 4k/60 - Stu999
World of Warcraft - Strix OC - Perra_himself
Forza Horizon 4 - FE - 4k/60 - Stu999 (I did get coil whine running the benchmark with uncapped frame rate)

Associate
Hi everyone - I'm new.
Just came across this thread; was seeing if it was only me that was having this issue - looking on YouTube as well, it seems this is quite a common problem.
I read on Guru3D that it could potentially be down to the use of the 6 no MLCC caps, which I find funny due to manufacturers being criticised for not using them when the cards came out - what with the post that went up on Igorslab, lol.

I received my pre-order of the Asus Strix 3090 OC from Scan .co.uk on the 15th December; it had awful coil whine, so contacted Scan to see if they'd RMA it... They accepted without question, I sent it back on the 21st and received a replacement on the 29th.
Unfortunately, the replacement had the same issue, albiet not as bad.
I contacted them again, told them I could live with it, but I wasn't happy - seeing how much the card cost.
They asked me to send a video in, which I did and they sent me another RMA form.
Sent it back to them on New Year's Eve and it arrived back to them this morning... So just waiting on another replacement.

Third time lucky, though I imagine it'll just have the same issue again... If it does, I won't send it back again; not unless it's really bad.
I do feel kinda bad that me getting replacments on a already hard to get item is stopping someone else on the pre-order list getting theirs.

I'll let you know if the third one is any better.

Associate
Thanks LtMatt... I'll give it a go when I get my replacement.
With the second card I received, it was better, though it seemed to be situational; it owuld be worse in certain titles.
Was really quiet in Cyberpunk, but then in Control, it was really noticable.

Caporegime
With the second card I received, it was better, though it seemed to be situational; it owuld be worse in certain titles.
Just remember that most GPUs will whine on Those two tests I mentioned in the OP. However in my experience they tests serve to kill coil whine in games and that’s the important thing.

Associate
Thanks again.

This is the first time I've had coil whine.
I have an Asus Strix 1080 Ti and it's been perfect the whole time I've owned it.
In fact, I've been with Asus since the 780 Ti and stuck with them due to their great quality and stability.

Associate
Just remember that most GPUs will whine on Those two tests I mentioned in the OP. However in my experience they tests serve to kill coil whine in games and that’s the important thing.

How do you RUN it all night ...? Stress test runs only for 20 loops (10 minutes) ...? or am I wrong?

New Strix OC 3090 here... Coil whine is quite load :( I am about to return it....Shame as I was waiting more then 3 months

Associate
How do you RUN it all night ...? Stress test runs only for 20 loops (10 minutes) ...? or am I wrong?

New Strix OC 3090 here... Coil whine is quite load :( I am about to return it....Shame as I was waiting more then 3 months

my Strix had mild coil whine stock, nothing to be bothered about. When adding a water block I tested it without the back plate and the coil whine disappeared altogether. After putting the EK back plate on the coil whine was unbearable. It’s definitely something to do with the back plate. EK have since changed the backplate layout and thermal pad placement , so it could be bad thermal pad placement on the Strix Stock back plate that’s causing coil whine.

Associate
my Strix had mild coil whine stock, nothing to be bothered about. When adding a water block I tested it without the back plate and the coil whine disappeared altogether. After putting the EK back plate on the coil whine was unbearable. It’s definitely something to do with the back plate. EK have since changed the backplate layout and thermal pad placement , so it could be bad thermal pad placement on the Strix Stock back plate that’s causing coil whine.
is it possible remove backplate without removing Cooler?

Soldato
No coil whine here.

Strix RTX3090 OC, overclocked on Corsair HX1200i PSU.

Only game from your list I have to try is Warzone and I could not hear any whine

Soldato

have you tried the new backplate? I'm about to put my 3090 strix under water, it's been silent so far

Caporegime

Go Benchmarks, then select Night Raid, go custom, unselect everything afyer making sure demo is ticked, then select loop.

Associate
...New Strix OC 3090 here... Coil whine is quite load :( I am about to return it....Shame as I was waiting more then 3 months

Are you sending it back for a refund, or have you RMA'd it for a replacement?

I think my third card is arriving this morning; I'm expecting the same issue - I'll probably just live with it if it's minor.
I waited 3 months as well for mine - 4 months now if you include the ones I received and had to send back.

Soldato

You know why you get it in some titles and not in others, don't you?

In the demanding titles your FPS will be lower so less whine. In less demanding titles your FPS is high - more whine.

Easy fix is vsync. Or limit your FPS.

Associate
I would say Control is a demading title, especially at 4k and fully ray traced... The coil whine I was getting on that was awful.
The first card I got was awful no matter what I did tbh...
I could have lived with the 2nd card I got, but the place I bought it from offered to RMA it again... If they're happy to do it, I'm not going to turn it down.

My Strix 1080 TI didn't have CW, some other 3090 Strix owners haven't had it; if I'd have spent half as much as I did, I'd probably let it go... But when you buy a product that's marketed as using premium components and commands a premium price, I expect a little better - especially from a company I've supported for so many years now.

If I wanted to limit my FPS, I'd have stuck with the 1080Ti, lol.

Associate
have you tried the new backplate? I'm about to put my 3090 strix under water, it's been silent so far

I think you will be fine now. I received the old version which used thinner pads and far fewer of them. The new backplate instructions are completely different. It was too late for me to apply everything new as I had already installed it and ordered the Aqua Computer Kryographics block.

I'd be interested to hear if the new revision and thermal pad placements that you will be receiving has eliminated the coil whine now.

Associate
Are you sending it back for a refund, or have you RMA'd it for a replacement?

I think my third card is arriving this morning; I'm expecting the same issue - I'll probably just live with it if it's minor.
I waited 3 months as well for mine - 4 months now if you include the ones I received and had to send back.

Thanks for info.. I haven't decided yet. But I am leaning more to refund... I am within 14 days still.. refund and then try to get 3080 probably or if replacement then probably other brand not same GPU... so u saying it was extra month to get your second and it was same noise like first one? mmmm

Associate
You know why you get it in some titles and not in others, don't you?

In the demanding titles your FPS will be lower so less whine. In less demanding titles your FPS is high - more whine.

Easy fix is vsync. Or limit your FPS.

Hmmm point is we bought 3090 for reason... and that is exactly why we dont want to limit our FPS ... etc... :(

Back
Top Bottom