3090 + i9 9900k Watercooling

Associate
It’s your water temps which are important so the 40 degrees your seeing is okayish, not great but not bad.

I have 9900k and at stock you will find motherboard can actually Chuck a lot of voltages into them at auto, combine with the in crappy general IHS and it’s a recipe that at stock with a demanding game you will see spikes even under water. Problem is not the loop, its the heat transfer from the a relatively small surfaced area CPU through crappy IHS design, through the TIM into the block.

If you want to reduce CPU temps I would look at dialling in manual voltage. The stock voltage curve account for the absolute bottom barrel CPUs, such as mine :( and even then pump excess voltage in. I would also ensure the mounting all looks okay.

I agree with this. A lot of motherboards throw extra voltage into a 9900k to ensure stability when it isn't needed at all and that just turns to heat. Auto motherboard settings don't do things justice, it's all set for the lowest common denominator in terms of hardware as Radox has unfortunately experienced. Add the horrible IHS and you get a hot little beast. If I were you I'd remount the waterblock just to make sure all is well, and then dial in a manual voltage for stock clocks if temperatures are your main concern.

Just for comparisons sake, I have a 360, 280 and 140 radiator in my loop. My water temperatures tend to sit at around 31-32 degrees when gaming with my fans running under 50%. That's with an overclocked 9900k but an undervolted 3090. My motherboard VRM is also watercooled and I do have a gpu backplate cooler that will add some extra heat into the loop.

I wouldn't be too concerned with 40 degrees in the loop though, it's a little higher than I'd like but that's for my specific set up with my components, ambient room temperature, air flow conditions etc etc. It's certainly not going to cause any problems.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the advice everyone!

I left the thermal paste on the CPU block that Corsair provided, so I don't really know how good that is either. I think you're right in that I could try reseating the block, but I'll wait till next time I drain the loop to do that.

I'll try adjusting the voltages as well and see if that helps.

Associate
OP
It’s your water temps which are important so the 40 degrees your seeing is okayish, not great but not bad.

I have 9900k and at stock you will find motherboard can actually Chuck a lot of voltages into them at auto, combine with the in crappy general IHS and it’s a recipe that at stock with a demanding game you will see spikes even under water. Problem is not the loop, its the heat transfer from the a relatively small surfaced area CPU through crappy IHS design, through the TIM into the block.

If you want to reduce CPU temps I would look at dialling in manual voltage. The stock voltage curve account for the absolute bottom barrel CPUs, such as mine :( and even then pump excess voltage in. I would also ensure the mounting all looks okay.

Out of curiosity what voltage have you set for your 9900k?

Soldato
Out of curiosity what voltage have you set for your 9900k?

I have mine set to 1.29v and thats allows for 4 cores @ 5Ghz, 6 cores @ 4.9 Ghz an and all 8 cores at 4.8 Ghz, basically i got a garbage chip. 5ghz all core is not stable at even 1.35v in everything. However this is still better then the Auto voltage for me which was shoving in up to 1.38v at times I saw under a heavy load at stock while reducing clock speeds lower then what I get once dialled in manually. So I expect better chips, AKA most of them vs mine, will be able to dial in an even lower voltage which should reduce thermals.

Soldato
GPU temps seem fine but your CPU temps are a little on the high side. For reference my 9900KF clocked to 5.1ghz all core @1.29v sits around 55-60c average in gaming and around 70c in benchmarks like prime95 thats all core 100%. I believe my LLC setting is on Turbo on which correlates to LLC4/5?

At stock from memory it was hovering around the 50c mark using TG Kyronaut, i found mine to be particularly good on the cooling side compared to what results i could find online.

I'm not using the best board either with VRM's hitting over 100c while priming without a fan directly over it so resorted to a small 40x20mm fan to cool the vrm which brings it down to a more manageable 76c.

Have you checked your stock bios settings are not throwing something out of whack?

Associate
OP
I've had a little play this afternoon with mine now.

I've dropped the voltage to 1.28, and played with the fans a bit and on COD Cold War I've now seen the CPU temperatures drop from 69/70 to 59/60 and GPU has dropped to 50. Water temps also seemed to average out between 31/32, so that seems a lot better than it was. I think that's telling me I was wrong about the radiator capacity as well, so maybe I'll save myself a little bit and not go down the new case route just yet. Unless of course I get bored.

I think I'm with Radox-0 in the garbage chip category though.. if I remember rightly I had to up to voltage way past 1.35 to get things stable on 5ghz on all cores :D

Soldato

I've dropped the voltage to 1.28, and played with the fans a bit and on COD Cold War I've now seen the CPU temperatures drop from 69/70 to 59/60 and GPU has dropped to 50. Water temps also seemed to average out between 31/32, so that seems a lot better than it was. I think that's telling me I was wrong about the radiator capacity as well, so maybe I'll save myself a little bit and not go down the new case route just yet. Unless of course I get bored.

I think I'm with Radox-0 in the garbage chip category though.. if I remember rightly I had to up to voltage way past 1.35 to get things stable on 5ghz on all cores :D
Yup i think from what i've read less than 10% of 9900k's can do 5.0ghz all core and less than 5% can do 5.1ghz all core. If you get one than can do 5.2ghz all core within 1.35v you're onto a huge winner!

Soldato

Nice! I mean nice on the temp drop part, not the fact your in the same club as me :p a club that could have kept its membership offer!

The later R0 chips clock better than the earlier P0 variants. My old R0 would happily go 5.0 all cores out of the box.

Still going to be the lottery I expect. Mine is RO, infact I only picked it up in Dec for £310 after getting rid of my 8700k for £270. Manufactured in 2020 work week 43, so pretty late last year yet its still a potato. Yet your not wrong either, was banking on it being buying pretty late would luck out. Alas not the case.

Associate
Still going to be the lottery I expect. Mine is RO, infact I only picked it up in Dec for £310 after getting rid of my 8700k for £270. Manufactured in 2020 work week 43, so pretty late last year yet its still a potato. Yet your not wrong either, was banking on it being buying pretty late would luck out. Alas not the case.

You probably got lucky at the other end of the spectrum, they were trying to flog the barrel scrapings they had for the end of the line ;)

Associate
OP
Nice! I mean nice on the temp drop part, not the fact your in the same club as me :p a club that could have kept its membership offer!

To be honest though even at stock I’m happy with the performance of the 9900k so I’m not overly bothered at this point. I got mine 2 years ago.. OEM not retail. I was wondering if they binned the better quality chips for retail. Probably not but it went through my head.

Soldato
To be honest though even at stock I’m happy with the performance of the 9900k so I’m not overly bothered at this point. I got mine 2 years ago.. OEM not retail. I was wondering if they binned the better quality chips for retail. Probably not but it went through my head.

oh yeah indeed, not going to make a difference, more so at 4K where I game with 3090 being limitation for most the part at that res still. Just always nice hitting that 5GHz round number mark and seeing other people post results :p as you say still a cracking chip in all :)

Associate
Well dang, i ended up here thinking i was having serious temperature issues myself with the XC7 and it turns out not only are mine lower than all those reported, i can do 5.1GHz at 1.368v 76°C.. Oh my! https://valid.x86.fr/0n02dr for proof lol

Only thing is the cost has been a little bit...ouch! But GPU temps are insanely low..maybe should have avoided the ton of RGB i now have and saved a few hundred quid though! lol even with smoked glass my rig now vomits RGB rainbows everywhere...that gives me at least 5 more FPS mate.

Associate
Asus ROG Strix 3090 (non-oc variant) + AlphaCool Eiswolf 2 (modified backplate with my own active cooling, see https://forum.alphacool.com/threads/alphacool-eiswolf-2-for-3090-strix-wrong-size-of-padding.2809/ for details on my mod) / https://hardforum.com/threads/asus-...tercooled-temperatures-3dmark-scores.2017452/ for my rig.

GPU is overclocked: +175 Mhz GPU / +250 Mhz Memory / 137% TDP

Idle temperatures:
CPU Tdie: 44.5c
CPU Die avg: 35.7c
Asus Chipset: 58.5c
GPU: 25c
Hot Spot: 32c
Memory Junction (VRAM): 32c
VRM: 29c

Stresstest: 30 minutes Unigine SuperPosition @ High Textures / 3840x1600

Stress / Load (Non-OC) Peak Temperatures:
CPU Tdie: <not measured>
CPU Die avg: <not measured>
Asus Chipset: <not measured>
GPU: 56.1c
Hot Spot: 66.2c
Memory Junction (VRAM): 66c
VRM: 48c

Stress / Load (OC) Peak Temperatures:
CPU Tdie: 70.8c
CPU Die avg: 66.6c
Asus Chipset: 64.8c
GPU: 65.6c
Hot Spot: 76.3c
Memory Junction (VRAM): 72c
VRM: 53c

3DMark scores (OC):

TimeSpy: Overall: 19538 GFX: 21431 CPU: 13023 - https://www.3dmark.com/spy/26080542
TimeSpy Extreme: Overall: 10647 GFX: 11060 CPU: 8789 - https://www.3dmark.com/spy/26078840
Port Royal: GFX: 14949 - https://www.3dmark.com/pr/1430299

Back
Top Bottom