• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3090 supply

Associate
Probably a daft question....

Do each of the 8 pin sockets on the GPU need to be connected separately to the PSU or can I just use the one cable from the PSU to supply both?

Associate
Most people would probably strongly advise you to connect them using separate cables. These cards draw a lot of power and it's probably unwise to draw all that current down 1 8 Pin connector. If you have the ability to use 2 cables, then do that. Otherwise, it will be down to the quality of your PSU + cables as to whether it can handle it.

However, most PSU's these days support multiple 8 pin connectors, so you should be able to use that option.

Associate
OP
Most people would probably strongly advise you to connect them using separate cables. These cards draw a lot of power and it's probably unwise to draw all that current down 1 8 Pin connector. If you have the ability to use 2 cables, then do that. Otherwise, it will be down to the quality of your PSU + cables as to whether it can handle it.

However, most PSU's these days support multiple 8 pin connectors, so you should be able to use that option.

thanks, yes.... I’ve got them connected separately at the moment, it’s just a bit messy as both the pci-e cables are split into two and I wanted to try and tidy it up a bit.

Associate
thanks, yes.... I’ve got them connected separately at the moment, it’s just a bit messy as both the pci-e cables are split into two and I wanted to try and tidy it up a bit.
I recommend you keep it as you have it. Don't know which brand 3090 you have but my MSI came with instructions telling me to use separate cables to the PSU.

Associate
OP
I recommend you keep it as you have it. Don't know which brand 3090 you have but my MSI came with instructions telling me to use separate cables to the PSU.

Ok thanks. I'll leave it as is and maybe try and find some other cables that will be a bit cleaner. Everything else was reasonably tidy until I fitted the GPU.

Associate
OP
From Corsair:

Thank you for contacting Corsair Tech Support. We suggest to use a different PCIE port for each PCIE cable since a 3090 card needs efficient power draw.

Back
Top Bottom