• Competitor rules

    Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

320mb or 640mb?

Soldato
Joined
16 Dec 2005
Posts
4,054
Location
Halifax W'Yorkshire
yo, ok currently i have a 256mb graphics card that works well, it plays games fine fine.

but, i noticed when i went from my old 17inch monitor (1280x1024 res)
to my new 22inch monitor at 1680x1050, that my fps decreased by about 40fps in tests ect.

but my fps rate is still more than enough in reality i get over 60 fps all the time on any game at highest detail ect ect,

more to the point,..

im thinking of selling this card and buying a cheap 320mb 8800gtx.
but is it worth saving for a 640mb card because of my high resolution i play at and high res textures. cause i remember when i tested a 512mb over a 256 and it resulted better at higher res.

i might not even buy a card yet. cause im waiting on the R600 ATI core.

but would i benefit more from a 640mb or should i just go for a cheap 320mb card and run it in for the next year or so untill dx10 cards really get launched and are producing loads of different types?

thank you :)
 
Associate
Joined
8 Dec 2006
Posts
726
Location
Luton
You have already kinda answered your own question. Yes more ram on the card will be helpful at higher resolutions. For upto 1200 the 320mb would do just fine but taking it further up to 1600 would have significant impact on fps. Im not saying that it would be a massive drop, that depends on the game you are playing. Wait for the new Ati variants and if you can, go for the higher memory cards.
 
Associate
Joined
20 Oct 2006
Posts
789
Location
Bath
I would go for the BFG 320mb 8800 GTS.

As your using 256 ram atm your gunna notice a difference with 320 and it should last you a while. The R600 are likely to be overpriced on release so if you want a good value card now go for the BFG 320

Hope that helps,

Hayley
 
Last edited:
Soldato
Joined
12 May 2005
Posts
12,631
Arclite said:
You have already kinda answered your own question. Yes more ram on the card will be helpful at higher resolutions. For upto 1200 the 320mb would do just fine but taking it further up to 1600 would have significant impact on fps. Im not saying that it would be a massive drop, that depends on the game you are playing. Wait for the new Ati variants and if you can, go for the higher memory cards.

Most of the benchmarks I have seen, 1600x1200 is fine for 320MB. It really is a bit of a balancing act though. I don't think there is actually a defined answer.

Many believe that up to 1920x1200 is fine for 320MB (from some reviews) a few reviews say 1600x1200. I would dare say in 12 months, you will need more ram than 320MB.

I personally am getting this card to last me till the mid-late this year, then see what is around then. Then I can upgrade for the games that are released at the time, like Episode 2 and ET quake Wars.

*EDIT*

BTW, I believe your signature is a little bit to large for the forum rules. I think it is 4 lines of solid text.
 
Associate
Joined
18 Nov 2003
Posts
1,803
Get 320mb if you dont have enough cash for 640mb

i ordered 320mb but then got 640mb because i got it cheap and its little more future proof with new DX10 games (if they need to load more textures to vram)
 
Soldato
Joined
11 Sep 2003
Posts
14,716
Location
London
Hayley-K said:
The R600 are likely to be overpriced on release so if you want a good value card now go for the BFG 320
If the r600 proves to be really good then the BFG 320 will be even better priced!

Ooohhh tough time to spend mulla on a graphics card! :D
 
Caporegime
Joined
24 Dec 2005
Posts
40,065
Location
Autonomy
1680x1050 will be fine for 320 mb GTS.

For the price of these cards at the mo they are almost throw away as in use one for a few months then sell it and get something else.

thats what I'm doing while I wait for crysis and R600 and the NV refresh.
 
Soldato
OP
Joined
16 Dec 2005
Posts
4,054
Location
Halifax W'Yorkshire
ok thanks for the replys

so would i see a big big improvment with moments when.

well on oblivion for example all's well, but some places it drops fps a lot more for obviouse reasons, would the g80 320mb core be more stable at times where the game requires more load from the gpu, would it be a lot lot lot better than my g70 256mb 7800gtx?

ty
 
Associate
Joined
29 Jun 2006
Posts
269
IceShock said:
ok thanks for the replys

so would i see a big big improvment with moments when.

well on oblivion for example all's well, but some places it drops fps a lot more for obviouse reasons, would the g80 320mb core be more stable at times where the game requires more load from the gpu, would it be a lot lot lot better than my g70 256mb 7800gtx?

ty

Yes!
 
Soldato
OP
Joined
16 Dec 2005
Posts
4,054
Location
Halifax W'Yorkshire
i might just get a 320mb for 6 months till theres more cards. cause im only going to be playing oblivion bf2 and half life 2 games and a few others that arent on that chart, and they didnt have big performance differences
 
Man of Honour
Joined
16 May 2005
Posts
31,299
Location
Manchester
The thing to do is jump ship and get a new graphics card just before the resale value of your old card reduces too much :) r600 release will probably see me switch from 640MB GTS to r600...at least until the nvidia refresh...and..so on :)
 
Back
Top Bottom