3440x1440 fast g-sync panel pipeline?

Associate
this is mainly a question towards Baddass and PCM2 -

i haven't been keeping up with the news, ever since i bought the swift, so guys, do you have any info about panels being in the pipeline for the next say....12 months similar to swift spec-wise with 3440x1440?

that would be my endgame screen basically :)

edit: yes, i am aware of the bandwidth issues when pushing high frequencies and high resolutions. so i guess we will just have to wait for the new DP standards?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
yep, we'd need to wait for DisplayPort 1.3 for 144Hz refresh rate at that kind of resolution. 3440 x 1440 @ 75Hz is a reality now with models like the Acer XR341CK but not seen any news of anything with higher refresh rates yet i'm afraid

Soldato
Don't know what's taking them so long... DP 1.3 was locked down September last year, so they must be working on stuff.

Caporegime
And demand. After all you need graphics cards with DP 1.3 or nobody will buy a 144Hz monitor.

And you need serious gfx power to run above 60Hz at that res as well.

So suspect monitors will come after pascal.

Soldato
And you need serious gfx power to run above 60Hz at that res as well.
Indeed. I laugh when I see people asking for 4K 144Hz lol... good luck running that now ha!

I agree we won't be seeing such panels until Pascal... the high refresh 1440p screens are quite demanding as it is, even with a multi GPU set-up, so going beyond that will require HBM2.

Soldato
The thing is a monitor is a long term purchase, I've probably changed my GFX cards 5 x since buying my Del 2407FPWs

I want to "future" proof my monitor as much as possible so 3440x1440 at 144hz with GSYN/FSYNC and DP 1.3 is a must.

Associate
There's also that lil problem about pricing. If now they think they can ask 1k £ for the Predator or the ROG it means I'll be waiting 2018 before upgrading. Then maybe these guys will cost the 500£ they (probably) are worth.

Caporegime
I'd pay up to £1.5K for a 3440x1440 at 144hz with GSYN/FSYNC with DP 1.3

Think I paid nearly £1K for my first Dell 2407FPW on release.

I suspect if one came out today it would be that price or more. But such a limited market. Just you and anybody else who wants to future proof but by the time you can make use of there will probably be several competitors and the price will have halved so what have you gained? Nothing.

The dell u could make use of its features straight away.

And by then we might have 4k oled screens which will be far superior to any ips or va screen now.

Once you go oled there will be no going back to crappy ips and va screens ;)

Soldato
You dont need to max out a 120hz or 144hz to gain a benefit from the high refresh rate. Ive had times on my older pc and screen where i was only getting 60-70 in Battlefield yet it was still a better experience on 120hz than 60hz.

Soldato
But 4K is locked at 60Hz, and will be for at least a year... it will take DP 1.3 and Pascal/HBM2 GPU's with DP 1.3 support before we see high refresh 4K screens. And even then, I do question whether AAA titles will run at reasonable frame rates with max detail... the next gen of GPUs will need some almighty horsepower to be running at a constant 120FPS and above, so I suspect it will be a couple of years before there is a 4K equivalent to a 1440p 144Hz monitor/experience. That will be the sweetspot for the foreseeable future.

Associate
OP
Already seeing dual gpu solutions getting over 60fps at 4k. Expect the Fury X2 to perform really well at 4k. Hopefully won't be too long before we see some higher refresh screens.

fps is largely irrelevant here. the problem that the current tech can not produce higher refresh rate than 60Hz at those resolutions.

Soldato
fps is largely irrelevant here. the problem that the current tech can not produce higher refresh rate than 60Hz at those resolutions.
Exactly! So many people don't seem to get it... it makes no difference if your Fury X2 triple SLI set-up is capable of a million FPS if you have a 60Hz 4K screen. What do you think is going to happen when you start pulling way over 60FPS at a fixed 60Hz? I've never understood this 4K fascination anyway, the technology just isn't anywhere near mature yet, but it really highlights how misinformed and caught up in the hype machine some people are when they somehow think today's 4K screens are going to perform THAT much better with more powerful GPUs... you're ALWAYS going to be limited by the monitor itself.

This won't be resolved until Pascal/HBM2 and monitors themselves start including DP 1.3 ports. It really isn't that complicated.

Back
Top Bottom