360 Dead, worth taking it back ?

Soldato
My 360 s has given up the ghost today, it wont read any discs, it's not even trying the drive bay just closes and it doesn't even attempt to read the disc.

it's only 4 months old so i'm wondering if it's worth taking it back to where i bought it and asking for a new one? as i'm not sure you can argue that any piece of electrical equipment that only lasts 4 months is in any way fit for purpose, considering my CD player and Amplifier are still going strong after 4 years of heavy usage, my PS3 is 2 years old at least and has no issues at all.

I probably would be so bothered but this is my 4th or 5th 360 since they were launched and frankly i've had enough, and although i understand it isn't the shop i bought it from who are at fault but in my eyes a piece of electrical equipment that costs the best part of 300 notes and lasts 4 months can't be regarded as fit for purpose can it ?

Just wondering what other peoples views on this are ?, if it wasn't for the fact that 99% of my friends have an x-box i'd just not bother and be after my money back.

Mainly i just cant believe how badly built the 360's are, i have owned pretty much every console since the Dreamcast and the only one i've had major issues with is the 360, my PS2 eventually died after many years of loyal service, but that was positively pre-historic in electrical goods terms by the time it passed away, and it's not as if it's a new problem, the old 360's suffered from this same issue, I lost my first 360 to the same issue, i just don't understand how Microsoft can be so unbelievably crap and have failed miserably to sort out issues that they have had since day 1.

Anyway rant over :(:(

Soldato
Well its no secret there have been numerous issues with 360s. I myself have had 9. I have had several with the same problem you're having and the store I bought them from happily swapped it. If you go there knowing the SOGA there is a good chance they won't argue and swap it on the spot, though there are some that will try and wriggle out of it and tell you to go to the manufacturer. When I've been told that I just tell them I already have and because its only x months old that they won't touch it because the contract is with the retailer. They will then cave in and swap it.

Just be polite and firm, you should get a positive outcome.

Associate
Take it back, get a new one simple.

360's are probably the least reliable consoles EVER, but i havent had a single problem with my elite after 6 months so far ^^

Soldato
You have a 12month warranty with the retailer as part of the SOGA. Have a read of it so you're familiar but don't go in shouting and quoting parts of it. I'm sure, if it's a big retailer, you won't have a problem.

Soldato
Every retailer will know they're bound by the 12 month warranty, there shouldn't be an issue. You may find though that they suggest you to go via MS instead, we do where I work.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Just get it replaced, it's still under warranty.

Despite the RROD faults being largely eradicated with the Jasper onwards, they still use the same crappy DVD drives. The fault you describe is a REALLY easy fix BTW, on BenQ and Lite-on drives (yours will be a Lite-on) the laser can get 'stuck' at the extreme end of it's stroke, off the edge of the disc. You simply have to take the cover off the drive, and physically move the laser with your finger to around the half way point. Put it back together and it'll be as good as new. If the laser was actually faulty/worn (which as you've noted is quite common) you would have noticed it struggling to read discs before completely failing to read them, rather than making no attempt at all.

Still, like I said, just get it replaced under warranty :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom