[360] Guided tour of spring update - update now due 6/06/06

Soldato
GuruJockStrap said:
That might be why.

I'm using the offical MS VGA lead and there is a difference.

Aye, some folks have said that the MS lead is better, so if I ever see one going cheap I will pick it up. Whether its just the quality of the Joytech lead, or if it is duff (which I cant see being the case) there was definitely no improvement for me.

(However there are those who say they have used both and saw no difference)

Soldato
Have you always been able to customise themes? Just noticed it this morning but cant say Id looked for it before.

However long it has been there, its a godsend. Means I can use a theme just for the background imagesm and then reste the blades and the guide background colour to something lighter. Why is it all of the themes seem to have awful backgrounds for the guide?

Soldato
roboffer said:
Have you always been able to customise themes? Just noticed it this morning but cant say Id looked for it before.

Yes, that option has always been there for the blades trim and guide background colour/texture.

Caporegime
Nismo said:
Yes, that option has always been there for the blades trim and guide background colour/texture.

Before you could only change the theme from the Personal Settings when you press the XBOX Live button. Now it is in the System Blade on the main dashboard. (I think).

rp2000

Soldato
rp2000 said:
Before you could only change the theme from the Personal Settings when you press the XBOX Live button. Now it is in the System Blade on the main dashboard. (I think).

rp2000

Yep, the function for customising was always there though, they have just created a new link to themes via the system blade :)

Caporegime
Nismo said:
Aye, some folks have said that the MS lead is better, so if I ever see one going cheap I will pick it up. Whether its just the quality of the Joytech lead, or if it is duff (which I cant see being the case) there was definitely no improvement for me.

(However there are those who say they have used both and saw no difference)
Same, however, I am also using the Joytech cable.

Soldato
I remember back in December during the 360 accessories shortages I ended up with loads of different VGA cables. Ordered around 3 different ones from various places and they all came in the space of a few days, there was me thinking I'd be lucky to get one.

Glad I kept the official MS cable now.

Associate
I was thinking could the improvment in colour and brightness ETC be due to new drivers for the GPU? included in the update

I recieved the Joytech vga cable today, I was hoping to brighten things up on PGR3, it has done, *but* compared to component it looks very washed out and looks nowhere near as vibrant as component did, is it worth going for the offical M$ vga cable as some of you are saying that your seeing big improvements over VGA on the new update.

Last edited:
turtle3 said:
I sometimes wonder if people just switch back to component after seeing the dash thinking UURRGGHH the colours are crap, but fire up a game and I think the colours are fine, I mean Im playing farcy on vga and colours look lush,, best thing is spend a tenner and get the cable, its worth a try and let us know what you think, :)

Exactly what I did, the dash looked so awfull and washed out on vga I did'nt even think twice about unplugging it, I'm hope'in the M$ vga cable will be better than the Joytech one.

Soldato
lowrider007 said:
I recieved the Joytech vga cable today, I was hoping to brighten things up on PGR3, it has done, *but* compared to component it looks very washed out and looks nowhere near as vibrant as component did, is it worth going for the offical M$ vga cable as some of you are saying that your seeing big improvements over VGA on the new update.

Probably not. What you're saying seems to be the over-all consensus re. VGA vs. Component. There's many threads about it over at AVForums. You could try tweaking the individual colours on the TV but in the end you'll have to pick which one you prefer (and this greatly depends on your TV).

I for the record use Component and I find I have to crank up the brightness here and there. I will say however, that when I first moved from SD to HD I found the darkness very off putting; in games like Burnout: Revenge, going into and out of a tunnel, with the sun glare made it more difficult (or so I thought).

After a week I'd adjusted and love it the way it is now.

But to answer your question I don't believe the make of cable makes a huge difference (if any at all).

Back
Top Bottom