• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3600 to 3950x (or beyond) - Worthwhile?

Associate
Probably been a multitude of threads elsewhere on this question but I'm looking to get the best performance realistically (without going TR) within a semi reasonable budget.

My system is multipurpose (gaming, Photoshop, Plex server with possible 4K conversion) so I was wondering if it was worth firstly upgrading to 3950x (will I see significant results) or waiting until 4950x and the gains that will bring over 3950x

I currently have an X570 Mobo with 32GB 3200 RAM and will shortly be upgrading to an RTX 3080.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the advice.

Yeah, it's not urgent. I'll hold off as I'm already outlaying a decent portion of any upgrade budget on the GPU.

Soldato
I think only a handful of games use more than 6 cores currently so a 3600 is fine for the time being. That is likely to change over the next couple of years though. Hence I went for a 3900x when upgrading last time. But probably an 8 core cpu would have been the sensible option.

Associate
I was all set to build , Got my X570 , Ram, PSU, and now the 3600 is out of stock in a lot of places, so gonna sit tight and wait to see what prices do too .I notice OCUK is £45 more than the nearest competitor currently so that'll help with my decision to wait!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom